Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparing my GPSorigin results to DNA Tribes SNP, dna.land, and GEDMATCH

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Multiple
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1*
    mtDNA (M)
    R9c1b2

Sweden Philippines Ireland Spain United Kingdom California Republic

Post Comparing my GPSorigin results to DNA Tribes SNP, dna.land, and GEDMATCH

GPSorigins https://gpsorigins.com seems to be more on the "deeper ancestry" part of autosomal analysis. A post on their Facebook page says it can give a rough estimate of where your ancestors originated from ~1000 years ago (I might be wrong on this). I sent them my raw data from 23andme btw

The results are very similair to what I got from DNA Tribes SNP and dna.land

Genepool.jpgPatrick - 53 Regional Clusters.jpgTubalar.jpgPatrick - Iterative Population Admixture.jpgPatrick - Iterative Population Admixture.jpgPatrick - Population.jpg

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pachreik For This Useful Post:

Abd.H (08-18-2016),  Agamemnon (08-16-2016),  BalkanKiwi (08-16-2016),  Calamus (08-18-2016),  Mike_G (08-19-2016),  Oleg (Rus) (11-22-2016),  PinayWoman (08-16-2016),  Principe (11-01-2016),  shazou (08-16-2016),  Theconqueror (08-17-2016),  Wiborg (12-01-2016)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V-c

New Zealand Croatia Bosnia and Herzegovina Poland England Ireland
    How accurate did you find their "pinpoint origin" map?
    Known ancestry - English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Bosnian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

pachreik (08-17-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Amerimutt
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-(L21/M529)

England Scotland Germany
    I can't find anything about this company.

No reviews or anything.

EDIT:

http://cruwys.blogspot.com/2016/08/t...-from-dna.html

The new GPS Origins test is therefore based on an unproven methodology, which can't be replicated and which does not produce the village-level or even country-level accuracy that has been claimed. It is merely giving you geographical co-ordinates which represent an average of your closest matches in a reference database of modern populations. The whole concept of the test is fatally flawed because it is simply not possible to use the DNA of living people to identify at an individual level where your DNA originated 1000 or more years ago. Similarly we cannot trace the individual migration journeys of our ancestors from modern DNA. Ancient DNA is providing interesting new insights about past populations but these inferences apply to everyone's ancestors and are not unique to an individual.
    Scam.
    Last edited by Kiln; 08-16-2016 at 11:25 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kiln For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (08-16-2016),  Erikson (09-27-2016),  Gaku (08-17-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Multiple
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1*
    mtDNA (M)
    R9c1b2

The person who wrote that article cites David Duke, the klansman.

I called her out on it in the comments section & her excuse was that she had never heard of him before. What a joke

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pachreik For This Useful Post:

Erikson (09-27-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Multiple
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1*
    mtDNA (M)
    R9c1b2

With respect to my 23andme results, it was spot-on (for migration patterns ~1000+ years ago).

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pachreik For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (08-17-2016),  Mixed (01-10-2018),  XooR (08-18-2016)

Banned for Multiple Accounts Violation
    Sex
    Nationality
    Globetrotter
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>U152>L2
    mtDNA (M)
    M7

Basque France Germany Spain United Kingdom Japan
    Hmmm... from the site's FAQs by the way.

What if my GPS Origins™ test report does not agree with my family history?
    In the case that one of your parents is of mixed origins because your grandparents are from two different places (e.g., England and Greece), GPS Origins™ migration lines for that parent would be traced along the middle migration paths of your grandparents (e.g., Hungary). This could be revealed via a larger circle (greater radius) around a stopping point, reflecting higher uncertainty in this area. GPS Origins™ is the story of your DNA, not necessarily of people. Your (and their) DNA may indeed have come from a region that no one remembers existed.

We are constantly developing improved tools that will give you more accurate and informative questions about your past, so stay tuned.

I am mixed race. What will the GPS Origins™ DNA test results tell me?

The GPS Origins™ test always reports the results for two lineages, which should roughly correspond to the origin of your parents. The test works best for people with DNA from no more than two different places; that is to say, people whose parents are from different places but are not themselves mixed. For people with more mixing, say, four grandparents from various places across the globe, the test will report the midpoint between the four places.
    The next generation of GPS Origins™ ancestry DNA testing will reveal the genetic origins for people with significantly mixed genetic backgrounds.

I am curious as you identify as being mixed race on another post what exactly are the results for your "origins". You posted a breakdown but where exactly did they "pin" you on this map of theirs. Also what of the migrations?
    Last edited by Gaku; 08-17-2016 at 01:02 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaku For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (08-17-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1B-DF99(FGC16982)

Germany Imperial Normandie Switzerland
    So did you find the information relevant with respect to other analysis tools?
    K8: French East/German South/Austrian 26%, French North East/Belgian/German West 25%, French North 25%, Irish/Scottish/Welsh 10%, French South/French Basque 9%, German East/Czech/Austrian 5%
    K36: French East/German South/Swiss German 33%, French North East/Belgian/German West 31%, French North Central 21%, Irish/Scottish/Welsh 9%, French South/ French Basque 6%
    K16: German 50%, French North West 19%, French North East 11%, Irish/English 11%, French South 9%

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by pachreik View Post
    GPSorigins https://gpsorigins.com seems to be more on the "deeper ancestry" part of autosomal analysis. A post on their Facebook page says it can give a rough estimate of where your ancestors originated from ~1000 years ago (I might be wrong on this). I sent them my raw data from 23andme btw

The results are very similair to what I got from DNA Tribes SNP and dna.land

Genepool.jpgPatrick - 53 Regional Clusters.jpgTubalar.jpgPatrick - Iterative Population Admixture.jpgPatrick - Iterative Population Admixture.jpgPatrick - Population.jpg
    I can see that you are of a partially Filipino descent. I'm Filipino-American too. What is the difference between Austronesian Oceanian and Southeast Asia?

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Amerimutt
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-(L21/M529)

England Scotland Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by pachreik View Post
    The person who wrote that article cites David Duke, the klansman.

I called her out on it in the comments section & her excuse was that she had never heard of him before. What a joke
    Matters if he's correct on what's relevant to the article, not if he was once a klansman.

That said, I still believe the guy behind GPS is a quack.

A tool no better than we have for free, yet he charges $60.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- Z19945
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a1

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Austria Tirol Australia Eureka
    Looks like this company bought out DNA-tribes after the owner died

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+ )

17. The Following User Says Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

pachreik (08-17-2016)

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast