Thread: U5b1d

Sex

U5b1d

I have been desperately trying to find information on the mtdna U5b1d haplogroup, but there's next to nothing online about it. I was wondering if anyone has been able to make any headway and maybe know something I don't?

This is the most relevant info I could find anywhere:

U5b1d*
    U5b1d1
    U5b1d1a: found among the Berbers
    U5b1d1b: found in Italy and Siberia
    U5b1d1c: found in the British Isles, France and Slovakia
    U5b1d2: found in Ireland

Because my ancestry is in Ireland and the British Isles, I'm thinking I might be b1d1c or b1d2, I'm not totally sure because 23andme did not get that specific. The other frustrating thing is that, aside from specifically mentioning the Berbers, there are no other specific groups named... so even if I am b1d2 in Ireland, that doesn't tell me which clan(s) are direct descendants from that. See my problem?

And knowledge or insights you have would be GREATLY appreciated! All I know is that U5 is the oldest sub-haplogroup within U but apart from that I'm turning up nothing!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA
    U5a2a1

There are two ancient samples of U5b1d1 from Germany dated at about 8200 year ago. Behar has an age estimate of about 11,700 years for U5b1d, and it seems very likely to have originated during the post LGM expansion of from Iberia into northern Europe. We have 31 full mtDNA sequence samples of U5b1d in the U5 project and GenBank. U5b1d1a has also been found in Denmark and Sweden. If you test the full mtDNA sequence you should get a more specific subclade on U5b1d.

Here a link to my summary of the U5 project results. I need to update the U5b descriptions.
    Last edited by GailT; 08-18-2016 at 04:42 AM. Reason: add link

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GailT For This Useful Post:

Lynda Pidgeon (04-04-2018),  palamede (08-28-2016)

Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I have been desperately trying to find information on the mtdna U5b1d haplogroup, but there's next to nothing online about it. I was wondering if anyone has been able to make any headway and maybe know something I don't?

This is the most relevant info I could find anywhere:

U5b1d*
    U5b1d1
    U5b1d1a: found among the Berbers
    U5b1d1b: found in Italy and Siberia
    U5b1d1c: found in the British Isles, France and Slovakia
    U5b1d2: found in Ireland

Because my ancestry is in Ireland and the British Isles, I'm thinking I might be b1d1c or b1d2, I'm not totally sure because 23andme did not get that specific. The other frustrating thing is that, aside from specifically mentioning the Berbers, there are no other specific groups named... so even if I am b1d2 in Ireland, that doesn't tell me which clan(s) are direct descendants from that. See my problem?

And knowledge or insights you have would be GREATLY appreciated! All I know is that U5 is the oldest sub-haplogroup within U but apart from that I'm turning up nothing!
    Hi there. im u5b1d too.... im interested in connecting with others and learning more.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Multiracial
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    O-F1399
    mtDNA
    U5b1

Madagascar Mauritius Spain Hong Kong India China
    Quote Originally Posted by sacredorigin View Post
    Hi there. im u5b1d too.... im interested in connecting with others and learning more.
    Hey, I am U5b1 for my maternal side, what is your known ancestry?

Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Adam A View Post
    Hey, I am U5b1 for my maternal side, what is your known ancestry?
    Irish/British. My DNA is 98% British aisles. I think there's a very small amount of German and French in there... but I am basically Irish/British. And you?

My U5b1 is also from the maternal side. My paternal side is largely the Irish stuff.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Multiracial
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    O-F1399
    mtDNA
    U5b1

Madagascar Mauritius Spain Hong Kong India China
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Irish/British. My DNA is 98% British aisles. I think there's a very small amount of German and French in there... but I am basically Irish/British. And you?

My U5b1 is also from the maternal side. My paternal side is largely the Irish stuff.
    I'm 1/4 European and the rest is Asian/African so it certainly comes from my maternal grandmother who was born in a very Celtic region of northern Spain (Galicia). On AncestryDNA I have 11% France, 5% Ireland and Scotland, 5% Portugal, 3% Sardinia, 1% Greece and the Balkans, 1% Spain, 1% England and Wales

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norman-Seph Jew-Native Am
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    DF27/ZZ12/BY3232
    mtDNA
    U5b1d1c P-A2j

Costa Rica Spain France Netherlands United Kingdom Israel
    U5b1d1c and my most distant ancestor was from Barrow Upon Soar, Leicestershire. 1500 and we believe her origin to be Norman.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to favouriteslave For This Useful Post:

palamede (04-25-2019)