Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your 23andMe Finnish Ancestry Finder, Ancestry Composition and Relative Finder Scores

J Man

Your 23andMe Finnish Ancestry Finder, Ancestry Composition and Relative Finder Scores

I think it would be quite interesting and fun to compare our 23andME Finnish scores/matches on Ancestry Finder, Ancestry Composition and Relative Finder. This may be a good little exercise to demonstrate the population bottlenecks that Finns have experienced in their history. Both Finns and non-Finns are welcome to post their results here and compare. Here are mine below. I am 25% Finnish by known ancestry.

Ancestry Finder (Set at Minimum Segment Size 5cM threshold and 4 Grandparents from the same country.):

Finland=5.6%

Ancestry Composition (Set at Sub-Regional Resolution):

Speculative Estimate=25.8% Finnish

Standard Estimate=24.4% Finnish

Conservative Estimate: 22.2% Finnish

I also have a large number of Finnish matches on Relative Finder. I may add them all up some time when I feel not so lazy lol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (04-27-2013)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1a3a1*
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2a1a1b

Finland Sami
    My Ancestry Composition Sub-regional resolution is:

100%
    European

Northern European
    100% Finnish
    < 0.1% Nonspecific European

I'm not sure where to find the other tools now that they've changed it around so much.
    Genographic Project: N52850
    GenBank: EU784076
    Z62+ Z60+ Z59+ Z58+ P38+ P30+ P19+ M307+ M258+ M253+ M170+ Z73- Z140- P37.2- P259- P109- M72- M26- M227- M223- M21- M161- L803- L573- L338- L22- L211- L1248- L1247-

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ilmari For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    0.5% for me, but that same area is painted nonspecific Northern European on one side and Ashkenazi on the other. I do have 1.8% Scandinavian elsewhere, though.

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    I'm 0% Finnish by known ancestry. In Ancestry Composition I get anywhere from 0.3% Finnish (conservative estimate) to 0.5% (speculative estimate). My brother gets as much as 1.0% Finnish (speculative). Our sister gets only 0.3% (speculative).

It might be coincidental, but I find it interesting that our sister's "Finnish" is lower at the same time her "East Asian and Native American" is higher. Native American ancestry is something we actually do have. But, most of our ancestry is European and could include groups that might have contributed an apparently Finnish component.

EDIT: It may mean nothing, but I might add that my brother's "Finnish" ancestry is in three segments. One of them is on a chromosome where it is almost entirely surrounded by "British and Irish". I'll do some more checking on my sister's and my results.
    Last edited by geebee; 04-22-2013 at 04:47 AM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    My sister's "Finnish" is limited to a single segment. As with one of my brother's three segments, this is surrounded by "British and Irish" on one of her paternal chromosomes. Our brother's 1.0% is split between both parents, 0.6% from our mother, and 0.4% from our father. My 0.5% is strictly maternal.

Mine is in the form of two segments. One segment is on a chromosome that is identified as otherwise almost entirely "British and Irish". The other segment is on a chromosome that includes a great deal of "British and Irish", but also a small "Native American" segment.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Jenny (04-22-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Finnish-Colonial American
    Y-DNA (P)
    n1c1 Gf U106 F
    mtDNA (M)
    H1b1 Finnish

Thanks JMan, I hadn't done this yet and my results are puzzling.
    I'm 45 % Finnish at 23andme. My mother was 100% Finnish.
    The other 50% is equally Pomeranian and English back to the Battle of Hastings
    But 23andme says 15% each for German and French, non specific Northern European and Eastern European.
    And only 6% for British and Irish.
    Hmmm

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenny For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    I haven't trie to use technology programs, except for my basic FTDNA results. I also supplement with my Ancestry tree. According to the latter, I have a distant female from the New Sweden colony that apparently was actually Finnish. And I have a rather close Y-DNA match to someone from Finland. There is a possibility, however remote, that my R1a1a1 was from among Finns in Scandinavia, and coming from what is now Russia directly. Well, that is just idle speculation, and probably not so.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Korean & Anglo-American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U-152
    mtDNA (M)
    B4a
    mtDNA (P)
    H7

United States of America Sweden South Korea United Kingdom Netherlands Switzerland
    Me and my dad both have 0.2% at the 5cM, 4gp level. We don't have any known Finnish ancestry after the 1700s.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarlet Ibis For This Useful Post:

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic, Slavic
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3c

United States of America England Belarus Netherlands Poland
    I only have 0.3% Finnish in the speculative mode... nothing in standard or conservative. I also have no known Finnish ancestry. So it may be just noise. I'd like to think I have some distant Finnish ancestor though, as I always liked Finnish culture for no apparent reason, and I also sung a lot of Finnish songs in my years of choir... so I can dream!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1a1b1
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c3

England Ireland Wales Scotland England North of England European Union
    As far as I know, I have no Finnish ancestry. In AC neither myself or my brother have any Finnish.

In Countries of Ancestry, at 4GP/5cM, my brother has Finland at 0.6% and I have Finland at 0.4%.

In DNAR, we have a couple of matches who have Finland in their profiles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast