Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: BY198/A738 Haplogroup - Clan Association and Geographic Distribution

Quote Originally Posted by GogMagog View Post
    It seems that Egan split early on. 900 AD, 1000 AD.
    I read in a recent book that "The descendants of Miles de Cogan, who came from Ireland in the reign of Henry II, all took on the name of Goggin, according to O'Donovan."

The entry at Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goggin) notes this and adds "In some cases it is a variant of the surname Coogan, and derived from the Irish Mac Cogadháin, meaning "son of Cogadhán". The Irish Cogadhán is diminutive form of Cúchogaidh, derived from elements meaning 'hound of war'". It is citing https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=Coogan.

If Goggin is from Mac Cogadháin (a name found in Co. Leitrim and Co. Meath), it seems very similar to Ó Caogáin which is anglicized Keegan.

Grenham Website has:
    Cogan numerous: all areas except Ulster and Mid-West. Ir. de Cógan, Ó Cuagáin. Anglo-Normans who settled in Cork, the name also occurs as Coggan, Gogan and Goggin. Secondly, an Irish name synonymous with Coogan, q.v.MIF.

Coggin fairly rare: Sligo etc. A variant of Cogan, which itself, in that area, can stand for Ir. Mac Cogadhain as well as Ó Cuagáin and de Cógan. SI.

De Cogan Very rare: Cork. Ir. Lang. See Cogan.

de Cogán Cogan, Goggin: líonmhar seachas i gC. Uladh & an Meán-Iarthair. Tháinig Milo de Cogan le de Cléir (Strongbow) i 1170 agus fuair tailte fairsinge i gCorcaigh. Chlaochlaigh an sloinne go Gogán sa chaoi is go raibh Rath Gogáin ar an áit ina bhfuil Charleville anois. Chomh maith leis sin, tá na sloinnte Gaelacha Ó Cuagáin & Mac Cogadháin, a aistríodh go Cogan, ann. Féach orthu san, leis.MIF.

Mac Cogadháin Cogan, Coggin: cíosach annamh: Sligeach & rl. Clann a áitigh dúiche dar b'ainm Clann Fearnaighe i Liatroim. On ainm pearsanta Cúchogaidh. Litriú nua: Mac Cogáin. Féach Mac Cogaidhín.MIF.

Goggin.PNG

There seems to be three cluster for this name, Leitrim/Sligo, Cork and interestingly the intersection of Longford/Westmeath/Cavan and Meath.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    BY198
    mtDNA
    T1a1

Ireland Scotland Flanders Iceland Russian Federation
    Before DNA tests that would have been correct. The Goggin DNA study shows that 50% are de Cogans and the rest either Egans, McColkins and other families that either had a NPE via adoption, illegitimacy or simply a spelling mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by GogMagog View Post
    Before DNA tests that would have been correct. The Goggin DNA study shows that 50% are de Cogans and the rest either Egans, McColkins and other families that either had a NPE via adoption, illegitimacy or simply a spelling mistake.
    The seems few actual Cogans within the Cogan project: https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...ct/dna-results

I see one Cogan (who gives his origin as France), two Coogan from Ireland, of which one conforms to the NW modal associated with being M222. The remaining are Coggin or Scoggin.

Maybe you have access to better sample, for I see hardly any testing amongst the De Cogan or O'Cogan families.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    BY198
    mtDNA
    T1a1

I wrote Goggin, not Cogan.

Interesting Muireagain, I found the following in "The Annals of Ireland [from A.D. 1171 to A.D. 1616] by Owen Connellan, Esq" -

Mac Cagadhain chief of Clan Fearmaighe a district south of Dartry and in the present barony of Dromahaire county of Leitrim This name has been anglicised Cogan or Coggan O Brien in his Dictionary at the word Eagan states that the Mac Egans were chiefs of Clanfearamuighe in Brefney hence Mac Cagadhain and Mac Eagain may probably have been the same clan.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    BY198
    mtDNA
    T1a1

You are probably looking at modern Cogavins and Keogans.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GogMagog For This Useful Post:

Colk (01-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gael
    Nationality
    Éireanach
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF41
    mtDNA
    U4d3

Ireland
    So big news. FamilytreeDNA have recently updated their haplotree and BigY Block tree. It would seem that a new SNP called 'A18726' has been found that is upstream of both BY198 and A259 (along with smaller BY184425). This is rather interesting result as A259 appears to be linked to specific Connacht origin surnames (many of which have genealogical links to the Uí Briúin)

Looking at the BigY Block tree we can infer the following numbers when it comes to BigY tests: (Total DF105 BigY testers = 882)
    DF85: 276 BigY testers = 31.29% of DF105 testers
    S588: 166 BigY testers = 18.82% of DF105 testers
    A18726: 146 BigY testers (112 of whom are A259, 28 are BY198 and 2 are BY184425) = 16.55%

In other words A18726 is the third largest clade of DF105, most of this of course is made up of the A259+ men who have done BigY but it would appear there are at least 28 BY198+ BigY tests in FTDNA database which is sizeable in it's own right.
    (R1b-DF41+)
    (MtDNA: U4d3)

How to pronounce my username (modern Irish):
    Hidden Content

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dubhthach For This Useful Post:

GogMagog (05-08-2019),  palamede (05-07-2019),  Webb (05-07-2019)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456