Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mtDNA haplogroup C1b (= Native American)?? But they're all from Europe!

Registered Users
    Sex

Question mtDNA haplogroup C1b (= Native American)?? But they're all from Europe!

I just got my mtDNA full sequence results from FTDNA (#507599) and I just learned I am C1b. After a bit of research I see this is Native American, specifically North American. This is a little nuts because on my Mother's side there is an abundance of blonde haired and blued eyed males, surnames include Jackson (England), De Aldrey (Normandy), Forcade (aka De Fourcade = (French, Pre-Norman). From conversations I have had with my maternal grandparents prior to their passing I learned that their lines were from England (Jackson) and N. Italy - Torin (De Aldrey).

I did see in my recent research that C1e was found in Iceland - from Vikings who discovered N. America (Christopher Columbus is a fucking poser - he was 2nd), and most likely mingled with Native females, and the ones that were most likely good i bed went back to Scandinavia, hence C1 markers found in Iceland. But all the articles and publications I have read say C1b is not part of this. I don't see how that is set in stone seeing as all C1X subclades are connected.

Does anyone have any info that would help explain how in the hell Native American (or Americas) got from one continent to Europe between the 9th century and the 15th? I am very curious. Just when I got some confirmation on my R-A5846 haplogroup connection to Normandy I get yet another FTDNA curve ball. I guess I am just different in every way.

Thanks everyone.
    "The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands..."

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2a1

How far back have you traced you direct maternal line? if it has been in the US since the colonial period, it might be possible that it is Native American. Blond hair/blue eyes etc is determined by your autosomal DNA and it is possible to have 99.9% European autosomal DNA but still have Native American ancestry on your direct maternal line.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GailT For This Useful Post:

Megalophias (09-07-2016),  modernmestiza (06-13-2018),  Oleg (Rus) (12-17-2017),  Power77 (10-30-2016)

The C1e in Iceland is Eurasain not American. Native Americans have different types of C1. C1 was rare but is proven to have existed in pre historic Russia. American and Europeans have a common ancestor who lived in Upper Paleolithic Siberia. One or another that's how C1e got to Iceland. Maybe C1b came along.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sammy Andrews For This Useful Post:

Power77 (10-30-2016),  procoptodon (09-12-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Nationality
    Canadian

Doesn't matter what colour anyone's hair is, or where anyone's surname is from. The question is where your maternal grandmother's mother is from, and so on back.

Every chance is that it's from a Native American woman, in America, either legitimately or by the old wife-on-the-side.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Megalophias For This Useful Post:

Power77 (10-30-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-L283
    mtDNA (M)
    C1b2

C1b never traveled from Europe to the Americas
    Last edited by procoptodon; 01-30-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by PMCGUN04 View Post
    Does anyone have any info that would help explain how in the hell Native American (or Americas) got from one continent to Europe between the 9th century and the 15th? I am very curious. Just when I got some confirmation on my R-A5846 haplogroup connection to Normandy I get yet another FTDNA curve ball. I guess I am just different in every way.

Thanks everyone.
    Some loyalist American Colonists remigrated back to Great Britain because of the Revolution. Along the way a Native American women could have gotten into the line.

Jack

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by PMCGUN04 View Post
    I just got my mtDNA full sequence results from FTDNA (#507599) and I just learned I am C1b. After a bit of research I see this is Native American, specifically North American.
    Eventually, we may have to consider the possibility of an mtDNA subhaplogroup that corresponds to the mysterious Q-L804, which is northwest European but nested within Native American clades. The most common explanation is an early back-migration from America into Asia and thence to Europe, but the lack of Q-L804 in modern Asia or Eastern Europe leaves this hypothesis unsatisfying. Could Paleo-Americans have perhaps ventured eastward across the Atlantic into Europe?

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by C J Wyatt III View Post
    Some loyalist American Colonists remigrated back to Great Britain because of the Revolution. Along the way a Native American women could have gotten into the line.

Jack
    It is extremely unlikely that is the reason that he has C1b since he is from the U.S. according to a post of his in another thread and therefore almost surely has a Native American ancestor in the direct maternal line. There still hasn't been a person that is not from the Americas that has been tested positive for C1b.

Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    Eventually, we may have to consider the possibility of an mtDNA subhaplogroup that corresponds to the mysterious Q-L804, which is northwest European but nested within Native American clades. The most common explanation is an early back-migration from America into Asia and thence to Europe, but the lack of Q-L804 in modern Asia or Eastern Europe leaves this hypothesis unsatisfying. Could Paleo-Americans have perhaps ventured eastward across the Atlantic into Europe?
    Maybe someday, but as you can see in the first part of my post the OP likely does not have good genealogical documentation or has a brick wall for the direct maternal line so C1b isn't one of those cases yet.

GailT in post #2 2 and Megalophias in post #4 were on the right track.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmandoR1b View Post
    It is extremely unlikely that is the reason that he has C1b since he is from the U.S. according to a post of his in another thread and therefore almost surely has a Native American ancestor in the direct maternal line. There still hasn't been a person that is not from the Americas that has been tested positive for C1b.
    I don't see how having a non-maternal line in North Carolina in 1755 invalidates my possible scenario about his maternal line.

Jack Wyatt

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by C J Wyatt III View Post
    I don't see how having a non-maternal line in North Carolina in 1755 invalidates my possible scenario about his maternal line.

Jack Wyatt
    It's extremely simple. His direct maternal line is from the U.S. also and he has an error or a brick wall in his genealogy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast