Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Z36 News

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian

Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by galon07 View Post
    That's definitely interesting. And this would make sense if put together with some other information and family stories that I know. One of them is that the name of the family (Galon) would derive from the Gaulish word for "rain". Yes, the use of surnames is quite "modern" in some sense, but who knows... I really think that A7992 could be "local" and not brought by the Lombards. I'm curious about the German A7992 on FTDNA and the Czech match to your friend, but as I don't know the precise regions they're from, no conclusion can be made.

Thanks, I hope we'll be able to order it soon!
    No, wait: surnames are really a modern thing. In Italy they were born firstly in northern areas thanks to the appearance of municipalities. They had to gain taxes and, to do that duty, they had to be sure to let all people pay by identifying all of them in a sure way. Nothing celtic-like is in Italian surnames. Even so, nothing celtic remained in the area also during the Roman era: all names were romanized, so it is IMPOSSIBLE that something celtic survived the Roman period and the Germanic invasions who erased the tria nomina system of roman culture.

Galon is a form of Galloni/Galoni, that is linked to the late antiquity latin name Gallus (there is also a saint, Saint Gallus, whose cult was very widespread in early Middle Ages). However, it also could be linked to the latin term Gallonus, that was a sort of weapon/work instrument in rural areas. These hypothesys are also charged with the fact the surname Galoni in all its forms is very widespread in all northern Italy.
    Last edited by Romilius; 06-23-2019 at 05:24 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Romilius For This Useful Post:

Cascio (06-24-2019),  Hodo Scariti (01-22-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b U152+Z36+A7992
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    After concentrating on the DNA of other family members, I decided to look at my own Y-DNA a little closer. I'm such a dilettante at all this and have been trying to get up to speed for years. During the last FTDNA sale, I saw that a R1b - M343&M269v2 Backbone SNP Pack test was available. Trying to get the most bang for my buck, I wasn't sure whether to upgrade to a Y-111 Test or go with the SNP pack. I didn't have time to consult those in the know on this forum, so I went with the SNP pack test, which was only ten dollars more than the on-sale 111 test.

Did I make the right decision?

From 23andMe, I already knew I was an R1b-U152.

My SNP pack test results came in yesterday and now I know I carry the Z36 mutation. So, howdy from Wyoming to you fellow Z36 guys!

Several years ago, I joined the U152 project. My kit on the chart has languished all this time as a lowly M269 away back in the unclassified section on page 6. Checking the chart this morning, I see I am already listed as a Z36. Will anything else be done with it or will it stay where it is? Do I need to notify an administrator of the changes?

Any suggestions for online resources that might help me get up to speed with the historic movements of this subclade? Thank you kindly.
    Last edited by Grossvater; 09-25-2019 at 04:15 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grossvater For This Useful Post:

galon07 (12-16-2019),  Hodo Scariti (01-22-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b U152+Z36+A7992
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

I had some more SNPs tested and have learned I am positive for BY1328, BY2151, and A7992. I'd love to know more about them if anyone knows anything.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grossvater For This Useful Post:

galon07 (12-16-2019),  Hodo Scariti (04-03-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M223 > I-Z2059
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Z36 > R-A7992

Brazil Canada Italy Veneto Galicia Star of David Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Grossvater View Post
    I had some more SNPs tested and have learned I am positive for BY1328, BY2151, and A7992. I'd love to know more about them if anyone knows anything.
    Hi there! I've been testing my maternal uncle and he's also positive for BY 1328 > A7992 (that's the most I could get via SNP tests; apparently there's nowhere to go from here, just taking the Big Y 700). I've been reading about this specific subclade and according to Eupedia it's part of the Alpine Celtic branch of the U152. Do you know if you have any North Italian or Swiss ancestry? We're from Brazil, but my mother's paternal family came from Northern Italy (Lombardy region). However, my uncle has a lot of British matches and always gets some "English" in the calculators, which is interesting. Still according to Eupedia, the diffusion of the Z36 branch would have generated the ancient Belgae (Celtic people), the Gauls and the Cisalpine Celts.

64223970_10214787117574979_2148408307214188544_o.jpg
    Y-DNA: I2a2 > I2a2a (M223) > Y4450 > CTS616 > Y3721 > Y3670 > L1229 > Z2069 > Z2059 - Sabino Mathozo, b. abt 1880 (Paranaguá, Brazil)
    Y-DNA (mother's paternal): R-M269 > U152 > Z36 > BY1328 > A7992 - Napoleon Maximiliano Galon, b. abt 1870 (Northern Italy, Lombardy)

FT autosomal: 62% European [29% West and Central Europe; 19% SE Europe; 14% Iberia] / 12% New World [9% N and C America; 3% S America] / 11% Middle Eastern [N Africa] / 9% African [W Africa]

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to galon07 For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (12-17-2019),  Hodo Scariti (01-22-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b U152+Z36+A7992
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

Quote Originally Posted by galon07 View Post
    Hi there! I've been testing my maternal uncle and he's also positive for BY 1328 > A7992 (that's the most I could get via SNP tests; apparently there's nowhere to go from here, just taking the Big Y 700). I've been reading about this specific subclade and according to Eupedia it's part of the Alpine Celtic branch of the U152. Do you know if you have any North Italian or Swiss ancestry? We're from Brazil, but my mother's paternal family came from Northern Italy (Lombardy region). However, my uncle has a lot of British matches and always gets some "English" in the calculators, which is interesting. Still according to Eupedia, the diffusion of the Z36 branch would have generated the ancient Belgae (Celtic people), the Gauls and the Cisalpine Celts.

64223970_10214787117574979_2148408307214188544_o.jpg
    It seems that Northern Italy is a hotspot for A7992 men. I can only go back to about 1795 in my male line and it leads to northern Thuringia in Germany. I'm not the only Z36 guy here with roots in Thuringia. I suppose there are lots of historic events to explain my family's presence so far north away from the A7992 homelands. The medieval "Ostsiedlung" comes to mind.
    Last edited by Grossvater; 12-16-2019 at 11:52 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grossvater For This Useful Post:

galon07 (08-15-2020),  Hodo Scariti (01-22-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Sammarinese
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-A7992
    mtDNA (M)
    T2c

San Marino
    Hello there,

I'm a R-A7992 from San Marino. My family migrated from today Lombardy to the Republic of San Marino in the late XII century and stayed there until today.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hodo Scariti For This Useful Post:

Cascio (01-22-2020),  Grossvater (01-21-2020),  R.Rocca (01-22-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Sammarinese
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-A7992
    mtDNA (M)
    T2c

San Marino
    Some news about my line: from A7992, now it is BY158114.

I don't know what implications does it have.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b U152+Z36+A7992
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

Quote Originally Posted by Hodo Scariti View Post
    Some news about my line: from A7992, now it is BY158114.

I don't know what implications does it have.
    Interesting. You must have done the Big Y test. I can't shed any light on your mutation but I'll be very interested to hear any interesting facts you learn if you're willing to share them. I hope to do the Big Y one of these days myself. The price seems to be coming down.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Grossvater For This Useful Post:

Hodo Scariti (02-03-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Sammarinese
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-A7992
    mtDNA (M)
    T2c

San Marino
    Quote Originally Posted by Grossvater View Post
    Interesting. You must have done the Big Y test. I can't shed any light on your mutation but I'll be very interested to hear any interesting facts you learn if you're willing to share them. I hope to do the Big Y one of these days myself. The price seems to be coming down.
    Of course I'll share interesting facts... but for now I learnt nothing about that subgroup. I only know I share that with a single other person from Czech Republic. I don't know if our families are related at least at the migration period. My family has its origin from a feudal one in the North of Italy. They were direct vassals of the most important feminine Monastery in Northern Italy. The last fief renewal was 1249, after that date, only 30 years later, all the family members lost their fief and became citizen of the Municipality: probably, they wanted to try political career and only people from emerging bourgeoisie were supposed to do that. After the lost of the honorabiles vassalli title, the family members dispersed from the Municipality in the countryside. My line went in a village not enfeoffed were there were many local noble families tied to communal administration. There, a member married the daughter of a local petty noble and his direct nephew took the surname of that petty noble. After that they migrated to San Marino with the new surname. Probably they were among the very few families to have a surname in that age in San Marino: all the other families, also the most important ones, didn't have a surname.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodo Scariti For This Useful Post:

galon07 (04-02-2020),  Grossvater (02-03-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b U152+Z36+A7992
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

Quote Originally Posted by Hodo Scariti View Post
    Of course I'll share interesting facts... but for now I learnt nothing about that subgroup. I only know I share that with a single other person from Czech Republic. I don't know if our families are related at least at the migration period. My family has its origin from a feudal one in the North of Italy. They were direct vassals of the most important feminine Monastery in Northern Italy. The last fief renewal was 1249, after that date, only 30 years later, all the family members lost their fief and became citizen of the Municipality: probably, they wanted to try political career and only people from emerging bourgeoisie were supposed to do that. After the lost of the honorabiles vassalli title, the family members dispersed from the Municipality in the countryside. My line went in a village not enfeoffed were there were many local noble families tied to communal administration. There, a member married the daughter of a local petty noble and his direct nephew took the surname of that petty noble. After that they migrated to San Marino with the new surname. Probably they were among the very few families to have a surname in that age in San Marino: all the other families, also the most important ones, didn't have a surname.
    As an American, I think its pretty cool that you are able to trace your lineage so far back into the Middle Ages. I have a significant amount of British Isles ancestry, so it hasn't been too difficult to trace back that lineage, which starts with the earliest settlement of America. But other than the lines that connect to the old medieval Anglo-Norman aristocracy of England, most of my lines peter out in the 16th & 17th centuries. As far as my continental ancestry, I have a few Rhenish lines that go back to the late 17th century.

I'm rather curious...is being able to trace one's line to the 13th century a common thing for folks from San Marino? Reading about it and looking at pictures has convinced me it must be an astonishing little place!
    Last edited by Grossvater; 02-15-2020 at 06:51 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grossvater For This Useful Post:

galon07 (04-02-2020),  Hodo Scariti (04-03-2020)

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast