Y-DNA
    DF27
    mtDNA
    V-C72T!

New Zealand Croatia Bosnia and Herzegovina Poland England Maori

Post Croatian Genetics and Anthropology Thread

Croatian Genetics and Anthropology

Pozdrav i dobrodošli!

I thought I'd start a thread to discuss everything relating to Croatian genetics and anthropology. Feel free to discuss autosomal results, genetic studies, culture, customs and anything else relevant to the Croatia. This section will be updated over time with useful information.

Haplogroups

Genetically, on the Y chromosome line, a majority (>85%) of male Croats from Croatia belong to one of the three major European Y-DNA haplogroups - I (38%-44%), R1a (27%-34%) and R1b (12.4%-15%), while a minority (>15%) mostly belongs to haplogroup E (9%), and others to haplogroups J (4.4%), N (2%), and G (1%).

Haplogroup I among Croatians from Croatia is divided in two major subdivisions - subclade I2 (35%), typical for the populations of eastern Adriatic and the Balkans, and I1 (9%). From the I2 subclade, former I2a2a in the Y2010 tree, I2a1b1 is the most prevailing, and it's typical of the South Slavic populations of south-eastern Europe, being highest in Bosnia-Herzegovina (>50%). In investigation led by Lovorka Barać in 2003, in Croatia highest frequency is observed in Dalmatia, peaking in southern islands of Brač, Korčula (~55%) and Hvar (65%). In the north-eastern town of Osijek, on the banks of the river Drava, and in the northern island of Krk the frequency is lower (27%). The highest frequency of the haplogroup is found in Bosnian-Croats from Herzegovina (73%).

R1a1-M17 and R1b1b2-M269 are the second (34%) and the third (15.6%) most prevailing haplogroups according to the investigation done in 2003. According to the 2008 investigation these values are slightly smaller. These two haplogroups showed an opposite frequency distribution to the I2a1b1, and the highest frequency is observed in the west, northwest and eastern Croatia. The highest frequency of R1a1 was found in the Croats from Osijek (39%) and in the northern island of Krk (37%), being similar to the values of the other Slavs, like Slovenes, Czechs and Slovaks. On the southern islands of Hvar, Korčula and Brač, the frequency tends to be lower (8-20-25%), but is still higher than among Bosniaks and Serbs. In Bosnian Croats, the frequency is similar to those of other South Slavs (12%). The highest frequency of R1b1b2 was in the Croats from the island of Krk (16.2%), while in the southern islands and in Bosnian Croats it is almost absent (1-6%),and in Osijek wasn't found.

Source
    Known ancestry - English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Bosnian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

Hidden Content

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

Basta (07-10-2017),  cercle (09-14-2016),  Illyro-Vlach (09-13-2016),  IphonePlus (04-26-2017),  leapfrogger (09-22-2016),  leonardo (02-25-2017),  Macura (01-07-2017),  Michał (09-13-2016),  MiraOsijek (05-12-2017)

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Slavic
    Nationality
    New Zealander
    Y-DNA
    DF27
    mtDNA
    V-C72T!

I'm surprised I haven't seen this article before, http://inserbia.info/today/2013/08/c...ants-of-serbs/

How much weight does this carry now? Is it commonly accepted that Croatians and Serbians were once tribes of Iranian origin?
    Known ancestry - English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Bosnian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by BalkanKiwi View Post
    I'm surprised I haven't seen this article before, http://inserbia.info/today/2013/08/c...ants-of-serbs/

How much weight does this carry now? Is it commonly accepted that Croatians and Serbians were once tribes of Iranian origin?

It's a joke, completely invented story, ( 'Croatian FA institute' or mentioned research don't exist ) published by satirical web portal news-bar.hr ( http://news-bar.hr/vijesti/regija/ok...rijetlu-hrvata )

but several other portals re-publish it as actual news

for a illustration , look at one recent 'news' published by news-bar http://news-bar.hr/vijesti/politika/...sachkom-listiu

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zarkusa For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (09-13-2016),  cercle (09-14-2016),  Gravetto-Danubian (09-13-2016),  Macura (11-26-2016),  Michał (09-13-2016)

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Slavic
    Nationality
    New Zealander
    Y-DNA
    DF27
    mtDNA
    V-C72T!

Quote Originally Posted by zarkusa View Post
    It's a joke, completely invented story, ( 'Croatian FA institute' or mentioned research don't exist ) published by satirical web portal news-bar.hr ( http://news-bar.hr/vijesti/regija/ok...rijetlu-hrvata )

but several other portals re-publish it as actual news

for a illustration , look at one recent 'news' published by news-bar http://news-bar.hr/vijesti/politika/...sachkom-listiu
    Are there any legitimate studies that have been done regarding Croatian origins in English or Croatian? It seems its still a grey area of such.

Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex

very recent one ( behind a pay wall) , but supplementary data is available http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...22876/abstract

I'll look for the links on the older studies , there is several more

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zarkusa For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (09-13-2016)

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Slavic
    Nationality
    New Zealander
    Y-DNA
    DF27
    mtDNA
    V-C72T!

very recent one ( behind a pay wall) , but supplementary data is available http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...22876/abstract

Thanks! I think the Iranian theory and some of the other ones listed on places like Wikipedia are probably outdated.

Hidden Content

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Nationality
    N/A
    Y-DNA
    I2a1-L621- PH 908
    mtDNA
    H 47

By origins you mean genetic or historic ?
    Either way there's ample. Croatia has a very long scholarly tradition

Yes, whetjer Serbs descend from Croats, or vice versa, the Iranian theory even now how's its proponents, especially on certain fora, imaginably. But it's largely a political product
    Last edited by Gravetto-Danubian; 09-13-2016 at 09:38 AM.

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Slavic
    Nationality
    New Zealander
    Y-DNA
    DF27
    mtDNA
    V-C72T!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravetto-Danubian View Post
    By origins you mean genetic or historic ?
    Either way there's ample. Croatia has a very long scholarly tradition

Yes, whether Serbs descend from Croats, or vice versa, the Iranian theory even now how's its proponents, especially on certain fora, imaginably. But it's largely a political product
    Both to a certain extent.

Hidden Content

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Nationality
    N/A
    Y-DNA
    I2a1-L621- PH 908
    mtDNA
    H 47

The Sarac paper, as Zarkusa pointed out deals with recent (modern) DNA
    For historical ethnogenesis - the birth of "Croats" as a people, one can't go past this book, at present. Very readable, but advanced.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gravetto-Danubian For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (09-13-2016),  Illyro-Vlach (09-13-2016),  Macura (11-26-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex

Recent study-2016:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...22876/abstract

"The analyses of the dominant and autochthonous I2a1b-M423 lineage (>30%) suggest that SEE had a significant role in the Upper Paleolithic, the R1a1a1b1a*-M558 lineage (19%) represents a signal from present day Slavic populations of Central Europe in the Croatian population, and the phylogeography of the E1b1b1a1b1a-V13 clade (around 9%) implies cultural diffusion of agriculture into Europe via the Balkan Peninsula. Am. J. Hum. Biol., 2016. © 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc."

Older study-2003:

In Table 1, the frequencies of the nine different haplogroups defined in 457 Croatian males divided into five subpopulations are compared. Haplogroup I, defined by M170, is the prevailing Y chromosome group through Croatian mainland and islands with the highest frequency (49% on average) reported in Europe so far.
    Haplogroups R1a and R1b showed the opposite frequency distribution to I-M170 and were more common in the northwest among the mainland population and in the northern island Krk. The frequency of R1b in Croatian sample (7.9%) is comparable to some other Balkan populations, for example, Macedonian (10%),41 Greek (11%) and Yugoslavian (11%),33 but it is considerably lower than in western European populations where its frequency ranges between 40% in Germans and 81% in Irish.33 Unusual for European populations,41,44 14% of Y chromosomes from Hvar carried haplogroup P* without M173 mutation associated with a relatively high number of repeats (n=15) in the DYS392 locus. A detailed description of the occurrence of this haplogroup will be reported elsewhere.

In contrast to R1b, its sister clade R1a shows eastern distribution in Europe being as low as 10–12% in neighboring Balkan populations, Greeks and Albanians, lower in Western Europe, in Italians, Germans and the Dutch (4–6%), but as high as 50–60% in eastern and northern Europe, for example, Hungarians, Ukrainians and Poles.41 The average frequency of R1a in Croatian mainland population (34%) is similar to the value of other Slavs..."

http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v.../5200992a.html

Review of Croatian genetic heritage as revealed by mitochondrial DNA and Y chromosomal lineages (September 2005 )

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...somal_lineages

Abstract

The aim of this review is to summarize the existing data collected in high-resolution phylogenetic studies of mitochondrial DNA and Y chromosome variation in mainland and insular Croatian populations. Mitochondrial DNA polymorphisms were explored in 721 individuals by sequencing mtDNA HVS-1 region and screening a selection of 24 restriction fragment length polymorphisms (RFLPs), diagnostic for main Eurasian mtDNA haplogroups. Whereas Y chromosome variation was analyzed in 451 men by using 19 single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP)/indel and 8 short tandem repeat (STR) loci. The phylogeography of mtDNA and Y chromosome variants of Croatians can be adequately explained within typical European maternal and paternal genetic landscape, with the exception of mtDNA haplogroup F and Y-chromosomal haplogroup P* which indicate a connection to Asian populations. Similar to other European and Near Eastern populations, the most frequent mtDNA haplogroups in Croatians were H (41.1%), U5 (10.3%), and J (9.7%). The most frequent Y chromosomal haplogroups in Croatians, I-P37 (41.7%) and R1a-SRY1532 (25%), as well as the observed structuring of Y chromosomal variance reveal a clearly evident Slavic component in the paternal gene pool of contemporary Croatian men. Even though each population and groups of populations are well characterized by maternal and paternal haplogroup distribution, it is important to keep in mind that linking phylogeography of various haplogroups with known historic and prehistoric scenarios should be cautiously performed.

Which one is more accurate?
    Last edited by gravetti; 09-13-2016 at 10:05 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gravetti For This Useful Post:

Illyro-Vlach (09-13-2016),  zarkusa (09-14-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast