Thread: How do you pronounce Donnachaidh?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish, Scot., Eng., Welsh
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    M222>S588>S603

Ireland Scotland Wales England Germany Switzerland

How do you pronounce Donnachaidh?

For any Scottish Gaelic speakers out there, how do you pronounce Donnachaidh? I have read that Clan Donnachaidh is the Gaelic name for the Highland Robertson clan, of Struan and Lude. Also, I read where Duncan the Stout was one of the ancestors of the Robertsons of Struan. I wasn't sure where would be the proper place to put this question, but here seemed as good as any other.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fridurich For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (03-24-2018),  rms2 (03-29-2018)

Sex

DONNA key is close. The ch is a soft K to H sound, the ai is a long e, the dh is completely silent.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dterrell For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (03-24-2018),  rms2 (03-29-2018),  slievenamon (03-26-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Dterrell View Post
    DONNA key is close. The ch is a soft K to H sound, the ai is a long e, the dh is completely silent.
    This. There are of course spelling variants of the root name Donnchadh.
    Y-DNA: I-A14097 [Big Y: Complete] (Scotland), Big Y: I-Z140>F2642>Y1966>Y3649>A13241>Y3647>A14097 (1,850 YBP)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2 (Ireland), R-L21 x2 (Ireland & Scotland), I-M223 (Ireland), R-S1141 (Scotland), R-U198 & R-U106 (Netherlands), mtHg J1c3 (Ireland)
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-L21-Y160102
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2

Ireland
    Maybe the Irish pronounce it differently but I would have always pronounced it 'dun-ah-ka'.
    Last edited by FionnSneachta; 03-26-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Roscommon, Galway, Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Martin Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine/Hy Many)
    Father's mtDNA: Catherine Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e)
    Maternal ancestor (mt): Anne McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Mary Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (03-26-2018),  rms2 (03-29-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-L21-Y160102
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by ADogsSon View Post
    Rather doubt it's donna-key in Scottish Gaelic. Seeing as Chaidh is pronounced cea death in actual linguistic books.
    That sounds closer to what I'd expect as well. This website actually has good pronunciations for Donnchadh. The two pronunciations under the Irish section is what I'd hear most often but the top pronunciation under the Scottish Gaelic section sounds good too but has a sort of 'coo' at the end instead of 'ka' or 'ke' sound.
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Martin Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine/Hy Many)
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Mary Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

ADogsSon (10-10-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland
    Obviously the name was approximated by English speakers at some point, as the rough Anglicisation can be seen in names like MacConachie, MacDonachie, etc.

There was one line that I'm researching where the name was originally "McConachie" in records but they changed it to "Duncan".
    Y-DNA: I-A14097 [Big Y: Complete] (Scotland), Big Y: I-Z140>F2642>Y1966>Y3649>A13241>Y3647>A14097 (1,850 YBP)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2 (Ireland), R-L21 x2 (Ireland & Scotland), I-M223 (Ireland), R-S1141 (Scotland), R-U198 & R-U106 (Netherlands), mtHg J1c3 (Ireland)
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-L21-Y160102
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
    Obviously the name was approximated by English speakers at some point, as the rough Anglicisation can be seen in names like MacConachie, MacDonachie, etc.

There was one line that I'm researching where the name was originally "McConachie" in records but they changed it to "Duncan".
    I wouldn't go by modern pronunciations of surnames as a guide for pronouncing pre-Anglicised names. Surnames were often Anglicised to a version that was often very different to the original. Although, the modern Donoghue surname, which is also derived from Donnchadh, has a pronunciation similar to the Scottish pronunciation in that link. Many surnames can be vastly different to their original version. The Forde surname is an Anglicised version of the three different surnames Mac Consnámha, Mac Giolla Naomh and Fuaráin. None of them mean ford in English and none even sound like Forde. As another example, the Crawley surname comes from the name Cruadhlaoch where you actually do pronounce the 'ch' at the end.