Sex
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Y-DNA
    I1a3a1*
    mtDNA
    U5b2a1a1b

Finland Sami
    Do either of you not agree with my statement?

I think it holds an enormous potential for people.

Just because the shoe doesn't fit everyone doesn't mean the shoe is broken.
    Genographic Project: N52850
    GenBank: EU784076
    Z62+ Z60+ Z59+ Z58+ P38+ P30+ P19+ M307+ M258+ M253+ M170+ Z73- Z140- P37.2- P259- P109- M72- M26- M227- M223- M21- M161- L803- L573- L338- L22- L211- L1248- L1247-

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    mtDNA
    H4a1c1

United States of America Switzerland Italy
    Well, I do have to admit that there are some possible clues. Our highest (me and bro) listed name is Randolph. An unlikely name for two people whose ancestors have lived either in Northern Italy or the Swiss Alps for many many generations. So where does Randolph come in? It seems that a family of Walkers, whom we match in varying percentages, have Randolph listed in their list of family names. There are three Walkers, Uncle, niece, nephew, whose grandfather came from the same village in Switzerland as our Walkers. They are, of course all related to the Randolphs on one of their lines, and so have Randolph listed in all three of their lists. But WE are not related to the Randolphs, only the Walker line. Now, if we hadn't already found the Walker link, following up on Randolph might have led us to the Walker link. So we are related to people who are related to Randolphs.

The same with AF. We are related to people whose ancestors came from such exotic places as Poland, Germany, Netherlands, Russia. And maybe there is an ancient link. But we haven't any recent ancestors from those places. Or some of our ancestor's relatives settled in those places for whatever reason, and we still carry the genetic connection. But we'll never find the link.
    Last edited by R. Walker; 09-06-2012 at 03:23 AM.

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American & Korean
    Y-DNA
    Dad: U-152
    mtDNA
    B4a

United States Gadsden South Korea United Kingdom Sweden
    For comparison, here are my current results, at the 4 grandparents from the same country & 5cM level, along with my parents'.

Mine:

My Mother's:

My Father's:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarlet Ibis For This Useful Post:

apophis99942 (10-08-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mutt
    Nationality
    Lost
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a2f
    mtDNA
    H4a

England Germany Netherlands France
    Mine at 4GP/5cM:

United Kingdom
    1.0%
    Norway
    0.3%
    Germany
    0.3%
    Spain
    0.2%
    Finland
    0.2%
    Ukraine
    0.1%
    Sweden
    0.1%
    Russia
    0.1%
    Poland
    0.1%
    Netherlands
    0.1%
    Italy
    0.1%
    Ireland
    0.1%
    Hungary
    0.1%
    Ecuador
    0.1%
    Denmark
    0.1%
    Belgium
    0.1%

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PureEvil For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (01-15-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Set at 5cM and 4GP. Although I'm somewhat sceptical about how many of those set at 5~7cM would be genuine IBD matches. Also many of my closest relatives found by RF are either not sharing with me or have not filled in the Ancestry Survey. So not sure how representative these results really are but still a pretty cool tool.

I was initially surprised by the relatively high Russian score , but i soon learnt it involved two relatives with German/Dutch Mennonite background. So they must be related with me through my Dutch side. Funny thing is both these cousins, based solely on the nationalities of their grand parents, have apparently been used by 23&me as reference sample for the East European category in AC. They came out 100% East Euro on AC while all their familynames are in fact German or Dutch Mennonite

Also the Phillipines, Mexico, Colombia and Cuba results intrigued me at first, i was only expecting Brazil to pop up. But by comparing with the AF results of Capeverdeans and Portuguese i learnt it's pretty standard to have such a wide array of Hispanic matches. It's also known that on their Euro side Capeverdeans descend not only from the Portuguese but have other Iberian ancestry as well, incl. Catalans, Andalusians but also Conversos and Morescos who flled from Spain to Portugal because of Inquisition. The Bahaman match turned out to be a lady of strictly Euro/English ancestry although very deep rooted on the Bahamas.

Right now I'm only somewhat puzzled by the Serbian and Croatian results but they could be IBS matches i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    No changes to report. Note the poor African matches for New World Diasporans due to lack of sampling from ancestral regions.
    Very true, I made a suggestion on the 23&me board that this problem might be fixed by introducing well chosen, ethnically defined African samples (not from paying customers) into their AF & RF database just in order to generate more matches for Afrodescendants. These samples could also be used for AC.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Walker View Post
    I have to agree with Griff. All AFI is doing is adding up the percentages of where the matches report their GPs were from. It is not doing a genome calculation. The science isn't there yet. Look at it sort of like a horoscope.
    It's indeed dependent on the underlying database and how many of your found relatives actually care to participate by filling in the Ancestry Survey. Still when used at higher settings of 10-15cM, i suspect for many people the results would roughly correspond with their known background. At 12cM (and colonial box switched off) i indeed only get a Dutch and Cape Verdean score.
    Last edited by Don Felipe; 02-17-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Sex

Hello:

My paternal grandmother, H1as1, was born a WOTTRICH, 1859 Germany.
    Her family is unknown. The test sample was from her g.granddaughter.
    Skimpy data, but the H1as1

Sex

My paternal grandmother was a H1as1, surname WOTTRICH, born 1859 Germany or vicinity.
    That is skimpy data, but the H1as1 WOTTRICH combination might be familiar to someone.
    William

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmari View Post
    Do either of you not agree with my statement?

I think it holds an enormous potential for people.

Just because the shoe doesn't fit everyone doesn't mean the shoe is broken.
    Nice, but I don't think this is quite an apt analogy. With a shoe, you put it on your foot and presumably you can tell rather quickly that it doesn't fit, so you simply discard it. No harm, no foul.

But what if we changed the analogy to some like, "Just because the medicine doesn't cure everyone, doesn't mean it's useless". That might well be true, but it's one thing if the medicine cures some and harms no one; and quite another if it cures some, but makes others worse. If you don't know in advance who will be helped and who will be harmed, then you have to think about whether its potential usefulness is worth the risk.

I don't deny that Ancestry Finder may help some, and even with those it doesn't help, it's certainly not likely to do any physical harm. But it isn't necessarily helpful for some and indifferent to all others. For some people, with few clues to their ancestry, it might actually lead them in completely wrong directions. So, yes, it holds potential for many people. Unfortunately, that includes the potential to cause one to spend a great deal of time following the wrong trails.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American & Korean
    Y-DNA
    Dad: U-152
    mtDNA
    B4a

United States Gadsden South Korea United Kingdom Sweden
    Could this segment be significant, assuming the "unknown" grandparent is not an American? It appears on my dad's AF on the same spot, so I know I"m "related" to the person through my paternal ancestry.

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Do you have any mutual overlapping matches on the same spot (you can access your match's Ancestry Finder Excel file too to verify this)?

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut