Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food for thought - A possible South Asian Admixture Calculator?

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sidhu Jatt
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    F
    mtDNA (M)
    R30B1

Canada Pakistan Finland

Food for thought - A possible South Asian Admixture Calculator?

Hi Folks,

What do you think of a prospective high detail admixture calculator covering South Asian ethnic groups from Pakistan, Afghanistan, India all the way to the Bangladesh and giving percentages for population segments like :

Punjabi
    Sindhi
    Pathan
    Bengali
    Sinhali
    Tamil
    Hamachaperdesi
    Hayanvi
    Gujrati Indians
    Parsi
    Balochi and so on....

Do you thinks its doable and some xperts from this forum can take a shot at it? Kurd Sahab is this something that you can undertake?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jatt2016 For This Useful Post:

ashwinb (10-17-2016),  dp (10-21-2016),  khanabadoshi (10-15-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sidhu Jatt
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    F
    mtDNA (M)
    R30B1

Canada Pakistan Finland
    Something that can give a break down like below :

Banned
    Sex

It is not as easy as most would think. It is hard to predict what the outcome of such an experiment would be knowing what I know about how ADMIXTURE works.

The best chance for a decent calculator like this would be to use component references that are somewhat distinct from each other, making sure that there are enough samples for each of those groups to form strong clusters. For ex, Burusho, Balochi, Bengali, Palliyar, Afghan Pashtun (although I only have 6 samples), perhaps Gujrati.

I also feel that this would be a time consuming project, but I may give it a try

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

dp (10-21-2016),  jatt2016 (10-15-2016),  khanabadoshi (10-15-2016),  parasar (10-16-2016),  Sapporo (10-18-2016),  topfield (10-18-2016),  Varun R (10-16-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sidhu Jatt
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    F
    mtDNA (M)
    R30B1

Canada Pakistan Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurd View Post
    It is not as easy as most would think. It is hard to predict what the outcome of such an experiment would be knowing what I know about how ADMIXTURE works.

The best chance for a decent calculator like this would be to use component references that are somewhat distinct from each other, making sure that there are enough samples for each of those groups to form strong clusters. For ex, Burusho, Balochi, Bengali, Palliyar, Afghan Pashtun (although I only have 6 samples), perhaps Gujrati.

I also feel that this would be a time consuming project, but I may give it a try
    Hi Kurd,

Thank you for giving it a thought. As you pointed it out, this would not be a simple project and then again the success of such an endeavor also depends on volunteer samples from each of the ethnic groups. My knowledge about admixture calculators is limited but I am guessing that the first step would be to find volunteers who would identify themselves as belonging to one of these groups for example :

5 People identify themselves as punjabies and submit their autosomal DNA file to you
    5 People identify themselves as Balochies and sumbit their autosomal DNa file to you and so on........

and once yo have their data files you do the actual work. Is this how it works? just trying to understand the schematics here !

If accomplished, this would be a very interesting- first of a kind calculator and would result in greater participation/interest in genelogy from the south Asian community.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jatt2016 For This Useful Post:

dp (10-21-2016)

Banned
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by jatt2016 View Post
    Hi Kurd,

Thank you for giving it a thought. As you pointed it out, this would not be a simple project and then again the success of such an endeavor also depends on volunteer samples from each of the ethnic groups. My knowledge about admixture calculators is limited but I am guessing that the first step would be to find volunteers who would identify themselves as belonging to one of these groups for example :

5 People identify themselves as punjabies and submit their autosomal DNA file to you
    5 People identify themselves as Balochies and sumbit their autosomal DNa file to you and so on........

and once yo have their data files you do the actual work. Is this how it works? just trying to understand the schematics here !

If accomplished, this would be a very interesting- first of a kind calculator and would result in greater participation/interest in genelogy from the south Asian community.

I have plenty of Balochi Brahui Burusho Sindhi and Bengali samples. I only have 6 Afghan Pashtun samples. I also don't have too many S Indian tribal samples with 100K+ SNP overlap with 23andMe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurd For This Useful Post:

dp (10-21-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sidhu Jatt
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    F
    mtDNA (M)
    R30B1

Canada Pakistan Finland
    I have plenty of Balochi Brahui Burusho Sindhi and Bengali samples. I only have 6 Afghan Pashtun samples. I also don't have too many S Indian tribal samples with 100K+ SNP overlap with 23andMe
    I guess then all u need would be samples from Punjabies, Sinhali and some from the indian provinces.Tamil Nado and Karnataka would be South Indian tribal?

All members welcome to give their inputs and ideas. We are lucky to have a knowledgeable person like Kurd who has made various admixture calculators and contributed one of the best topics/threads in this forum.
    Last edited by jatt2016; 10-16-2016 at 03:21 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jatt2016 For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (10-17-2016)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    south asian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    M3

That would be very interesting, an Eastern indian component should also be there. I would really like to see if the results are straightforwadr(not fuzzy).

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ashwinb For This Useful Post:

jatt2016 (10-17-2016),  khanabadoshi (10-17-2016),  MonkeyDLuffy (10-18-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    Perhaps McNinja might be of help? He is quite the curator of South Asian samples.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

dp (10-21-2016),  jatt2016 (10-17-2016),  Kurd (10-17-2016),  MonkeyDLuffy (10-18-2016)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    south asian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    M3

I believe McNinja had a similar calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1084480849

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ashwinb For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (10-17-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2A2 (R-P267)
    mtDNA (M)
    M52A

I think we need a lot more precision within the Indian subcontinent in general. Each region's caste is largely endogamous, so even if everything is coming from a largely common pool in the paleolithic era, there should be some clustering/divergence between the various endogamous groups. I have friends from Trinidad etc that are hoping that a DNA test will get them a general idea of where in India they're from or which community, and I had to let them know that I don't think anyone has that level of precision as of now. Historically Trinidad got migrants from UP/Bihar/Jharkhand area and from Tamil Nadu. Now if an Indo-Trinidadian gets his genes to show a match with people from Andhra or Orissa, that won't be really where his origins are if he's got Tamil and Bihari ancestries.

Most of us Desis here are not like the Trinidad/Guyana/Fiji etc populations, so we know where exactly we're from. IMHO DNA companies should be testing us for free because we're last living samples of endogamous populations (for now) lol. I myself am not from an endogamous marriage, but my 2 parents are. One is eastern UP Kayastha, other is West Bengal Brahmin. I put my autosomal DNA from my Genographic test in this one calculator I don't remember the name, I was expecting it to place me possibly in between the two geographical origins, instead it put me in Bijur, Karnataka. How does that work out? If it does that for me, I can only wonder how clueless it would leave someone from the colonial-era diasporas.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to redifflal For This Useful Post:

dp (10-21-2016),  jatt2016 (10-17-2016),  khanabadoshi (10-17-2016),  Kulin (03-13-2017),  MonkeyDLuffy (10-18-2016),  Reza (10-17-2016),  ssamlal (07-30-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast