American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106-DF96-A14203
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1

United States of America Poland England Wales Ireland Russia Imperial

R1b-U106 in Slavic Countries

Hello everyone,

The high concentration of U106 in Western Europe is frequently discussed, and most talk focuses around the when/where debate. I really haven't seen much information or argument regarding the (admittedly rare) occurrence of U106 in predominantly Slavic countries. I myself descend patrilineally from a family with a Polish surname (hence my moniker) with a last known location in Europe in the Bialystok region of Poland- think "almost Belarus". The most recent version of the Eupedia concentration map puts the frequency of U106 in this area at 1-5%. I have tested, and been found to be U106-Z381-Z156, with YCAII of 19,23; if these values are any indication, based on what I've read here, that practically rules me out for several downstream SNPs. Are there any theories as to how this foreign haplogroup made its way to Eastern Europe? I've been very curious, and am looking to speculate until I order the Big Y test.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ski For This Useful Post:

Power77 (10-16-2016),  rms2 (10-16-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    U106's center of gravity is more Central European than Western European. I am expecting U106 to turn up in Corded Ware. It hasn't yet, except maybe in a CW-derived culture c. 2300 BC, in the Nordic Battle Axe cemetery of Lilla Beddinge in Sweden (RISE98).

R1b-U106 (S21) Map.jpg

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (10-16-2016),  Power77 (10-16-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British-Scandinavian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a

England Denmark Wales Scotland Sweden
    I doubt the 19,23 at YCAII is of any importance, as I believe it is modal for both U106 and P312. Perhaps that isn't the case for the Z156 subclade.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    In relation to my own Z326 which I think Dr. Ian McDonald describes as the most continental (distribution?) of the U106 clades I've been wondering about a possible link to the wanderings of the Lombards. I'm not really sure otherwise why it is distributed in Eastern Europe, Italy, the UK etc.
    Sorry not trying to distract from your OP, but wondering if maybe there could be connections?

" Lamissio's rise to power came after a raid by the Bulgarians in which Agelmund was killed and his daughter was kidnapped. Lamissio rallied the Lombards, defeated the Bulgarians, and rescued the princess. Other kings, such as Lethu, Hildeoc, and Gudeoc followed Lamissio and, possibly because of overpopulation and lack of resources, or possibly because of conflict with the Huns, they moved on in c. 487 CE to the Danube region following Odoacer of Italy's destruction of the Rugii tribe who lived there. It is at this point, roughly, that they came to the notice of the Eastern Roman (Byzantine) Empire who invited them to Pannonia to defend the region against the Gepid tribe or, according to other sources, they were a part of the Thuringian (Goth) hegemony, which broke apart and they migrated to Pannonia on their own. This is the period, c. 526 CE, when the first "definitely historical king, Wacho" reigned over the Lombard tribe (Halsall, 398). They defeated the Heruls, who lived in Pannonia, and took over their ancestral lands."

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...w5GaShjjsV3VjQ

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

rms2 (10-16-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    I myself descend patrilineally from a family with a Polish surname (hence my moniker) with a last known location in Europe in the Bialystok region of Poland- think "almost Belarus". The most recent version of the Eupedia concentration map puts the frequency of U106 in this area at 1-5%. I have tested, and been found to be U106-Z381-Z156, with YCAII of 19,23; if these values are any indication, based on what I've read here, that practically rules me out for several downstream SNPs. Are there any theories as to how this foreign haplogroup made its way to Eastern Europe? I've been very curious, and am looking to speculate until I order the Big Y test.
    The Polish Project has 6 members who have tested positive for Z156 or one of its subclades, plus 2 more who are predicted to be L1+ based on the old Null at DYS439 (which FTDNA no longer reports as such). The members of R-L1 all have 19-23 at YCAII.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

rms2 (10-16-2016),  Ski (10-16-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    Hello everyone, (snip off most of your message for the sake of brevity)
    I have tested, and been found to be U106-Z381-Z156, with YCAII of 19,23; if these values are any indication, based on what I've read here, that practically rules me out for several downstream SNPs.
    Have you done any Y-DNA testing at FTDNA, and if you have, have you already joined the R-U106 Project there? And whether you have or not, I would also strongly encourage you to join our discussion forum hosted on Yahoogroups by sending an email to: [email protected]

One of our admin team members, Dr. Iain McDonald, is also Z156 and is probably the leading expert regarding Z156 and its subclades. He is also working on developing the ages and possible origins for the various clades of U106.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

Ski (10-17-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106-DF96-A14203
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1

United States of America Poland England Wales Ireland Russia Imperial
    Wing Genealogist, yes on all three counts.