Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colonial people and their results?

Registered Users
    Sex

Canada

Colonial people and their results?

Has there ever been a single "white American" who claimed Native American ancestry, whose DNA test ACTUALLY proved it?

On the other hand, has any "colonial Spanish" descended Latin American ever shown up without any native and/or African?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erik For This Useful Post:

MfA (10-27-2016),  Scarlet Ibis (10-28-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern Irish > Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z8 (U106)

United States of America Ireland European Union
    My family claimed Cherokee ancestry in the 1890s with several documents & court cases. The Oklahoma judge determined that they were ethnically Cherokee, just unable to prove a direct relationship with a living member of the tribe--the main requirement. While I don't "look" Native American at all, my grandfather and the older men in my family have darker features in general. DNA Tribes gives me 1.3% North Amerindian, and the various Gedmatch calculators give me Native American on the same chromosome when I select painting.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MBW1986 For This Useful Post:

dp (10-28-2016),  Scarlet Ibis (10-28-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1a8

East Anglia England European Union
    Haplogroup evidence would be very interesting. Has anyone been lucky enough to find First Nation / Native American mtDNA or Y-DNA?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Rio de Janeiro Colonial
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1a1 FGC6064+ M365+
    mtDNA (M)
    H1ao1

Suebi Kingdom Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ Brazilian Empire Brazil
    I can talk about the 500 years old Brazilian Portuguese Colonial People. Everybody has small Amerindian and African admixtures. I think the conquest and colonization of that part of America was also a process of incorporation of Amerindian and African mtDNA, what gave an early demographic base able to win Colonial Wars against other European powers and keep that big territories under the Portuguese Empire and afterwards in the Brazilian Empire. Most of the Colonial People also mixed with some recent European immigrants in the last 200 years.
    J1 FGC5987 to FGC6175 (188 new SNPs)
    MDKAs before Colonial Brazil
    Y-DNA - Milhazes, Barcelos, Minho, Portugal.
    mtDNA - Ilha Terceira, Azores, Portugal
    North_Swedish + PT + PT + PT @ 3.96 EUtest 4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RCO For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (10-28-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M412
    mtDNA (M)
    I1a1

United States of America Ireland Spain Germany Palatinate Italy
    My mothers side is South German and Colonial American. Farthest ancestor was an indentured servant from London, England who landed at Annapolis around the early 1700s. I have DNA confirmed some distant Amerindian but cant determine which side it came from. However, after some investigating on 23andme relatives, it may not be Native American but distant Dominican. Ive stopped looking into it though, it seemed pointless.

Many white Americans claim it, but often times it gets debunked. I guess it became a trend when the 70s hippies were all about saving the earth and being one with nature, which is spiritual basis for most Native American religions.
    ~ 90% Irish (Ireland-Northern Ireland-Argyll) with minor German, Italian, French, Amerindian
    Still searching for my father's parents....

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M412
    mtDNA (M)
    I1a1

double post
    Last edited by gruder; 10-28-2016 at 01:05 AM.
    ~ 90% Irish (Ireland-Northern Ireland-Argyll) with minor German, Italian, French, Amerindian

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

United States of America Italy
    I share(d) with probably upwards of 50 people of full or partial colonial Anglo-American ancestry on 23andme. Many of them (perhaps a third) scored either some Amerindian or some African, or both, especially those from the South, although in virtually all cases their non-European ancestry was not more than 1-2%. Ironically, the ones who claimed some "Cherokee" or other Native ancestry were usually the ones who scored 100% European.

The White American group that was most likely to score some Native wasn't WASPs, it was Cajuns. Almost every full-blooded Cajun I shared with scored a tiny bit of Native, and many had X2a as their mtDNA, indicating that their native ancestry was almost certainly gained in Acadia (and was probably Mik'maq) rather than after their migration to Louisiana.

I remember seeing a post on the 23andme forums by a woman from Oklahoma who was an officially enrolled member of the Cherokee nation. She apparently scored no Native on 23andme, so sent her results to Doug McDonald and he told her he could find no trace of Amerindian in her. Naturally, she was somewhat upset about this development.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fished For This Useful Post:

Bonacci (10-30-2016),  dp (10-28-2016),  Gray Fox (10-28-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M412
    mtDNA (M)
    I1a1

Quote Originally Posted by fished View Post
    I share(d) with probably upwards of 50 people of full or partial colonial Anglo-American ancestry on 23andme. Many of them (perhaps a third) scored either some Amerindian or some African, or both, especially those from the South, although in virtually all cases their non-European ancestry was not more than 1-2%. Ironically, the ones who claimed some "Cherokee" or other Native ancestry were usually the ones who scored 100% European.

The White American group that was most likely to score some Native wasn't WASPs, it was Cajuns. Almost every full-blooded Cajun I shared with scored a tiny bit of Native, and many had X2a as their mtDNA, indicating that their native ancestry was almost certainly gained in Acadia (and was probably Mik'maq) rather than after their migration to Louisiana.

I remember seeing a post on the 23andme forums by a woman from Oklahoma who was an officially enrolled member of the Cherokee nation. She apparently scored no Native on 23andme, so sent her results to Doug McDonald and he told her he could find no trace of Amerindian in her. Naturally, she was somewhat upset about this development.
    Do you know anything about the Q1a3a haplogroup? Specifically which part of the Americas its mostly found?

I was going to send my DNA to McDonald but he sadly no longer does his analysis. I dont blame him. He had to be swamped with emails asking for them to run their kits.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Korean & Anglo-American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U-152
    mtDNA (M)
    B4a
    mtDNA (P)
    H7

United States of America Sweden South Korea United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Has there ever been a single "white American" who claimed Native American ancestry, whose DNA test ACTUALLY proved it?
    Have to admit this made me laugh out loud over here.

Personally, I've seen it a few times, but more often than not, it seems to either be a myth, or too distant.

What amuses me is that I actually know a few people who have taken the test, and, after coming back 100% (or close to it) European, chose to denounce the reliability of consumer testing, rather than accept the results. They're not entirely wrong. We do often see junk regional results that people should take with a grain of salt. Those AncestryDNA commercials where someone proudly declared that he's "Scottish" instead of "German" drives me up the wall. But we rarely junk intercontinental ones. I'd venture to say it's unlikely that someone who actually is 1/8th Native American, for example, will come back with a 100% European result from any of the popular testing companies. And, not surprisingly, none of the people I'm thinking of had any cultural ties to any tribes.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scarlet Ibis For This Useful Post:

Erik (10-28-2016),  FredBats (10-28-2016),  Gray Fox (10-28-2016),  MfA (10-28-2016),  PureEvil (10-28-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M412
    mtDNA (M)
    I1a1

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Ibis View Post
    Have to admit this made me laugh out loud over here.

Personally, I've seen it a few times, but more often than not, it seems to either be a myth, or too distant.

What amuses me is that I actually know a few people who have taken the test, and, after coming back 100% (or close to it) European, chose to denounce the reliability of consumer testing, rather than accept the results. They're not entirely wrong. We do often see junk results that people should take with a grain of salt, but I'd venture to say it's unlikely that someone who actually is 1/8th Native American, for example, will come back with a 100% European result from any of the popular testing companies. And, not surprisingly, none of the people I'm thinking of had any cultural ties to any tribes.
    Ive seen this many times too. I think theres some kind of urge to be "exotic", specifically among white Americans. Crazy how literal people take ethnicity.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gruder For This Useful Post:

Gray Fox (10-28-2016),  Scarlet Ibis (10-28-2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast