Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    E-M34 > E-Y6923
    mtDNA
    J1c7a

United States of America Israel

MyHeritage matches

I've been exploring MyHeritage's extremely long list of upload-generated matches with gusto, and have noticed some interesting things. First, I'm getting a lot of distant, lower-cM matches with British, Scandinavian, and German-Americans, even though there's never been any evidence to suggest I have recent Northern European ancestry. Are any other Jews on MyHeritage finding this? Does this indicate that they have Jewish ancestry that I'm not discerning from their family trees/that they don't even know about?

Also, one of my highest non-Jewish matches is an upper-class northern Brazilian man, with whom I share 38.1 cM over 2 segments one of them being 29.7 cM. While 15th-17th century Portuguese Jewish ancestry would be unsurprising, this segment seems far too long to be of distant provenance. No tests indicate that I have recent non-Jewish ancestry, and all the surnames I see in the last few generations of his tree are solidly Portuguese.

Thoughts?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wandering_amorite For This Useful Post:

dp (10-29-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Afro-European
    Nationality
    Tunisia
    Y-DNA
    R1bM269U106-FGC7559
    mtDNA
    L2a

Sweden Northern Ireland Tunisia England Scotland Sudan
    I think most of myheritage matches are not enough trustworthy; I have dozens of +30 cM-shared-block matches (some of them being Jewish) there that dont appear neither on FF nor on Gedmatch lists and that, at the same time, look far-fetched ancestry-wise.
    Probably most of those matches are not IBD's but mere IBS's.
    Last edited by kikkk; 10-28-2016 at 11:23 PM.
    My closest oracles:
    1 CEU + Morocco_Jews + Swedish + Sahara_OCC @ 1.618438 DODECAD V3
    1 BedouinA + German_North + Scottish_West + Tunisian @ 1.355784 puntDNAL K12 Modern
    1 Algerian + BedouinA + British + Norwegian_West @ 2.072077 MDLP K23b

A thread where I explain how the Tunisian sample used by various gedmatch calcs is not representative of Tunisians:
    Hidden Content

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kikkk For This Useful Post:

dp (10-29-2016), wandering_amorite (10-28-2016), wombatofthenorth (11-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-M223
    mtDNA
    T2b

England Scotland Germany Switzerland Italy Norway
    My closest match on MyHeritage (after my parents and grandfather) shares 89.5‎ cM with me and yet isn't a match to either of my parents. That means they are either a false positive match to me, or a false negative match to one of my parents. Either way, it's really a bit of a joke.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H24a1

Ireland Germany England Scotland Switzerland Cornwall
    I would be very careful using MyHeritage matches. Between my parents and I, I have found dozens of matches from Russia, Estonia, Poland, Sweden, Norway, Croatia, Macedonia, Austria, Belgium & Italy--all nations with no known family history (but bordering known countries of origins which gets me overly excited) only to find they are a 1:1 0-match on GEDmatch. I'm not sure why this is happening, but I would check every match 1:1 before diving deeper.
    Predominately English, Irish & German with Dutch, Swiss, French & Polish
    Y Haplogroup E-V13 ("Siegel" via Prussia), Mt Haplogroup H24a1 (via Unknown)

GEDmatch Kits: A436029, M213836, Z169952 GEDCOM: 7950338

Ancestry: Hidden Content
    MyHeritage: Hidden Content
    23andme: Hidden Content
    Living DNA: Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

wombatofthenorth (01-28-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-M223
    mtDNA
    T2b

England Scotland Germany Switzerland Italy Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by greerpalmer View Post
    I would be very careful using MyHeritage matches. Between my parents and I, I have found dozens of matches from Russia, Estonia, Poland, Sweden, Norway, Croatia, Macedonia, Austria, Belgium & Italy--all nations with no known family history (but bordering known countries of origins which gets me overly excited) only to find they are a 1:1 0-match on GEDmatch. I'm not sure why this is happening, but I would check every match 1:1 before diving deeper.
    Thanks, I contacted the person I mentioned and he never got back to me so it seems unlikely he'll upload to gedmatch and if he has/does he's not on my one to many list. It's a shame, because I'd like to figure out whether he's a false positive to me, or false negative to one of my parents.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF13*
    mtDNA
    U5b1b1(T16192C)

Norway Russia Tatarstan Arms Germany Imperial Romani Faroe Islands England
    My aunt got a fully Spanish match from Madrid today at 15cM, I suspect it is either a false positive, or it could be via common German/Jewish type ancestry, as the only confirmed Spanish sounding name in my family tree is from the 1500's, which seems too far back..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to evon For This Useful Post:

timberwolf (12-16-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA
    H

Ukraine
    I have dozens of Spanish matches on My Heritage. Honestly ? The funniest part: when I click on review match, there mostly appears a message you do not have any ethnicities in common. Yeah, but you are still cousins. How ?

All people are brothers and sisters.
    Last edited by Geborgenheit; 12-16-2017 at 07:37 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Geborgenheit For This Useful Post:

Vrump (09-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF13*
    mtDNA
    U5b1b1(T16192C)

Norway Russia Tatarstan Arms Germany Imperial Romani Faroe Islands England
    Quote Originally Posted by Geborgenheit View Post
    I have dozens of Spanish matches on My Heritage. Honestly ? The funniest part: when I click on review match, there mostly appears a message you do not have any ethnicities in common. Yeah, but you are still cousins. How ?

All people are brothers and sisters.
    That can actually be explained by the different methodology which "admixture" and "matches" are calculated, in short they dont always overlap (as an example, admixture visualization often uses "smoothing" to make the results more uniform, 23andme uses this method).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to evon For This Useful Post:

Geborgenheit (12-16-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA
    H

Ukraine
    Hei! Thank you for your comment, I've already suspected something like that, considering that I have so many matches form different countries.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Geborgenheit For This Useful Post:

evon (12-16-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Multi Ethnic
    Nationality
    Global Girl

Scotland Wales India Sami Basque Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by kikkk View Post
    I think most of myheritage matches are not enough trustworthy; I have dozens of +30 cM-shared-block matches (some of them being Jewish) there that dont appear neither on FF nor on Gedmatch lists and that, at the same time, look far-fetched ancestry-wise.
    Probably most of those matches are not IBD's but mere IBS's.
    From everything I am reading on Pub Med studies, matches that long would always be IBD.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast