Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA
    R-Y22889
    mtDNA
    H3-T152C!

Spain Andalucia Spanish Empire (1506-1701)
    The interesting bit, however, is to know how many shared SNPs per cM is MyHeritage using to identify a match because I find a bit surprising that the lengths for my matches in MyHeritage are significantly longer than in gedmatch (i think gedmatch defaults to 500 SNPs but warns you to re-check any match with 700 to have some confidence the match is legit)
    Last edited by Shadogowah; 04-21-2018 at 07:56 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadogowah For This Useful Post:

wombatofthenorth (05-05-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA
    R-Y22889
    mtDNA
    H3-T152C!

I uploaded my parents data a couple of days ago and I started to check the suggested matches with the longest shared segments. I am finding lots of matches with longest segments lengths above 20 cM that are totally bogus (they do not match any of my parents). I don't know which is the criteria followed by MyHeritage to calculate the lengths but it is indeed quite loose.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-M223
    mtDNA
    T2b

England Scotland Germany Switzerland Italy Norway
    Yes, I'm still finding some matches who don't match either of my parents but not like it was before. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that my dad tested on AncestryDNA's V2 chip. At FTDNA, uploads from Ancestry V2 don't have as many matches as they should because there's still somewhat of a compatibility issue with V2 uploads. I'm guessing the same is happening at MyHeritage. My mom and I tested on AncestryDNA V1, so I'm guessing when I have a match who doesn't match either of my parents, they are a false negative match to my dad and simply aren't matching him due to the V2 chip issue.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA
    R-Y22889
    mtDNA
    H3-T152C!

In my case the three of us have been tested by the same company with the same stuff. As I mentioned, lots of matches with allegedly long segments totally look like false positives.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-M223
    mtDNA
    T2b

England Scotland Germany Switzerland Italy Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadogowah View Post
    In my case the three of us have been tested by the same company with the same stuff. As I mentioned, lots of matches with allegedly long segments totally look like false positives.
    It's not really a matter of whether you tested at the same company or not. If any of you tested on AncestryDNA's V2 chip, there could be matching problems. Alternatively, even if none of you tested on AncestryDNA's V2 chip, some of your matches will have and so those matches might be having problems matching consistently.

I just know one of my matches was previously not matching either of my parents... then MyHeritage made some changes to the match list, and now this person is a match to my dad. So I would not automatically assume they are false positive matches to you - they could just as easily be false negative matches to one of your parents.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

If they are all on Gedmatch you possibly could see if they are false positives or not, as you could see where they match the parents even if it's too small in total to register as a match.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA
    R-Y22889
    mtDNA
    H3-T152C!

Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    If they are all on Gedmatch you possibly could see if they are false positives or not, as you could see where they match the parents even if it's too small in total to register as a match.
    I can only correctly identify my matches in Gedmatch using an email address that corresponds to the person managing the data or an ID this person used to identify the kit while the matches in MyHeritage are presented mostly with name and surname or another identifier that has nothing to do with the one in Gedmatch. So far I haven't been able to cross any data.
    Do you have a question or topic about genetics in Spain and/or prefer to use Spanish language? Visit the new subforum!

Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA
    R-Y22889
    mtDNA
    H3-T152C!

The interesting bit is, however, that matches I am positively sure to be legit also show up in MyHeritage but sharing much shorter (and sensible) segments.
    Do you have a question or topic about genetics in Spain and/or prefer to use Spanish language? Visit the new subforum!

Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

That's frustrating that you can't place them. Individual segments of over 20 cM would seem not false -- I think the false ones are often short segments plus inflated total matching cM from very short segments. If they are high enough to be of special interest, I'd probably try emailing to see if the person is on Gedmatch.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Spanish
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA
    R-Y22889
    mtDNA
    H3-T152C!

Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    That's frustrating that you can't place them. Individual segments of over 20 cM would seem not false -- I think the false ones are often short segments plus inflated total matching cM from very short segments. If they are high enough to be of special interest, I'd probably try emailing to see if the person is on Gedmatch.
    I do it every now and again but I usually focus on the Spanish and Spanish-American ones and tend to leave others apart unless some detail suggests a connection (I suspect I have some sefhardic ancestry and that could explain a lot). As mentioned, I find very unlikely to have matches in Canada or the Netherlands.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789