Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Gedmatch - Irish/Welsh/celtic?

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,919
    Sex
    Location
    South East Wales UK
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

    United Kingdom Wales

    Gedmatch - Irish/Welsh/celtic?


    Hi all I'm not sure how this test works, so much to learn, so little time.
    I'm Welsh with mainly Welsh borders ancestry and have been curious about how "celtic" or not my ancestry is.
    Someone was kind enough to run this test for me, it seems to show very high "Irish", which I guess is equivalent to celtic/pre celtic? Any thoughts or guidance welcome please. John
    Mixed mode population sharing :-
    # Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
    1 94.4% Irish + 5.6% Iranian @ 2.84
    2 94% Irish + 6% Azeri @ 2.86
    3 94.4% Irish + 5.6% Kurdish @ 2.88
    4 94.8% Irish + 5.2% Iranian_Jewish @ 2.89
    5 94.7% Irish + 5.3% Makrani @ 2.92
    6 93.8% Irish + 6.2% Turkish @ 2.93
    7 94.4% Irish + 5.6% Lebanese_Muslim @ 2.96
    8 94.5% Irish + 5.5% Syrian @ 2.97
    9 94.8% Irish + 5.2% Palestinian @ 2.98
    10 94.9% Irish + 5.1% Brahui @ 2.98
    11 93.4% Irish + 6.6% Sephardic_Jewish @ 2.98
    12 93.9% Irish + 6.1% Turkmen @ 2.98
    13 94.8% Irish + 5.2% Balochi @ 2.99
    14 95% Irish + 5% Kurdish_Jewish @ 2.99
    15 94% Irish + 6% Tunisian_Jewish @ 3
    16 94.7% Irish + 5.3% Bedouin @ 3.01
    17 94.7% Irish + 5.3% Jordanian @ 3.02
    18 94.9% Irish + 5.1% Assyrian @ 3.03
    19 95% Irish + 5% Lebanese_Druze @ 3.04
    20 94.9% Irish + 5.1% Georgian_Jewish @ 3.06
    Last edited by JohnHowellsTyrfro; 11-01-2016 at 09:01 AM. Reason: additional information

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

     Amerijoe (11-01-2016),  anglesqueville (11-01-2016),  Jessie (11-01-2016),  kevinduffy (11-01-2016),  [email protected] (11-01-2016)

  3. #2
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    7,730
    Sex
    Location
    Normandy
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

    Normandie Orkney Netherlands Friesland East Frisia Finland
    Which test is it John?
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

    (Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

     Amerijoe (11-01-2016),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (11-01-2016),  [email protected] (11-01-2016)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,919
    Sex
    Location
    South East Wales UK
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

    United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by anglesqueville View Post
    Which test is it John?
    This is what I was given in full. I'm sorry I'm impatient, having only recently used Gedmatch so I don't understand everything.
    If there isn't enough information there could you recommend a particular application for me to try please? John

    Your K15

    # Population Percent
    1 North_Sea 32.76
    2 Atlantic 31.27
    3 Baltic 10.51
    4 Eastern_Euro 7.95
    5 West_Med 5.74
    6 West_Asian 4.18
    7 East_Med 3.25
    8 South_Asian 2.12
    9 Red_Sea 1.57
    10 Amerindian 0.49
    11 Southeast_Asian 0.16

    Oracle

    Mixed Mode Population Sharing:

    # Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
    1 94.4% Irish + 5.6% Iranian @ 2.84
    2 94% Irish + 6% Azeri @ 2.86
    3 94.4% Irish + 5.6% Kurdish @ 2.88
    4 94.8% Irish + 5.2% Iranian_Jewish @ 2.89
    5 94.7% Irish + 5.3% Makrani @ 2.92
    6 93.8% Irish + 6.2% Turkish @ 2.93
    7 94.4% Irish + 5.6% Lebanese_Muslim @ 2.96
    8 94.5% Irish + 5.5% Syrian @ 2.97
    9 94.8% Irish + 5.2% Palestinian @ 2.98
    10 94.9% Irish + 5.1% Brahui @ 2.98
    11 93.4% Irish + 6.6% Sephardic_Jewish @ 2.98
    12 93.9% Irish + 6.1% Turkmen @ 2.98
    13 94.8% Irish + 5.2% Balochi @ 2.99
    14 95% Irish + 5% Kurdish_Jewish @ 2.99
    15 94% Irish + 6% Tunisian_Jewish @ 3
    16 94.7% Irish + 5.3% Bedouin @ 3.01
    17 94.7% Irish + 5.3% Jordanian @ 3.02
    18 94.9% Irish + 5.1% Assyrian @ 3.03
    19 95% Irish + 5% Lebanese_Druze @ 3.04
    20 94.9% Irish + 5.1% Georgian_Jewis
    Last edited by JohnHowellsTyrfro; 11-01-2016 at 09:35 AM.

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

     Amerijoe (11-01-2016),  anglesqueville (11-01-2016),  Jessie (11-01-2016),  kevinduffy (11-01-2016),  [email protected] (11-01-2016)

  7. #4
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    7,730
    Sex
    Location
    Normandy
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

    Normandie Orkney Netherlands Friesland East Frisia Finland
    Only my opinion: don't get too troubled by oracles. Just an example, with my mom ( who is not at all irish, only normand, at least 3/4):
    1 Atlantic 32.84
    2 North_Sea 32.29
    3 Baltic 12.2
    4 Eastern_Euro 9.94
    5 West_Med 7.58
    6 East_Med 2.95
    7 West_Asian 1.17
    8 Oceanian 0.79
    9 South_Asian 0.14
    10 Northeast_African 0.12

    1 82.3% Danish + 17.7% French_Basque @ 3.57
    2 86.3% Irish + 13.7% Southwest_French @ 4.13
    3 88.9% Irish + 11.1% French_Basque @ 4.14
    4 87.3% Irish + 12.7% Spanish_Valencia @ 4.21
    5 83.3% West_Scottish + 16.7% Southwest_French @ 4.25
    6 83.7% Irish + 16.3% Austrian @ 4.27
    7 88% Irish + 12% Spanish_Aragon @ 4.28
    8 86.6% West_Scottish + 13.4% French_Basque @ 4.33
    9 89.1% Irish + 10.9% Spanish_Andalucia @ 4.35
    10 91.2% Southeast_English + 8.8% Estonian_Polish @ 4.38
    11 88.5% Irish + 11.5% Spanish_Castilla_La_Mancha @ 4.38
    12 84.5% West_Scottish + 15.5% Spanish_Valencia @ 4.39 etc ...............

    High "irish" too. About your "azeri"/"lebanese-muslim", etc. Hopefully you'll not waste your time searching ancestors in Middle East or South Asia . The calculator ( and only it) finds for you a "red sea" component ( and imo that does not mean you have actually), reason why the orable algorithm attempts to take it into account. For the same reason it gives to my mother a "french basque" % ( certainly because of her "west med"). All this is basically mathematical tinkerings.
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

    (Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

     A Norfolk L-M20 (11-01-2016),  Amerijoe (11-01-2016),  Jessie (11-01-2016),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (11-01-2016),  [email protected] (11-01-2016),  Vrump (10-09-2018)

  9. #5
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,276
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

    Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary Ireland Munster Ireland County Roscommon Ireland Connacht
    There isn't a Welsh sample in that calculator but I would presume Southwest English might be a good proxy although I'm not really sure. This is what I get on Eurogenes K15 and I am fully Irish and my brother's results. I guess it is reasonably accurate and it is in the right ballpark.

    Admix Results (sorted):

    # Population Percent
    1 North_Sea 37.04
    2 Atlantic 29.88
    3 Baltic 11.89
    4 Eastern_Euro 8.75
    5 West_Asian 5.16
    6 West_Med 4.95
    7 Amerindian 1.15
    8 Red_Sea 1.1
    9 Siberian 0.07

    Single Population Sharing:

    # Population (source) Distance
    1 Irish 3.03
    2 West_Scottish 3.18
    3 North_Dutch 3.71
    4 Danish 3.92
    5 Orcadian 4.92
    6 Southeast_English 5.05
    7 North_German 5.1
    8 Southwest_English 6.72
    9 Norwegian 7.23
    10 West_Norwegian 7.49
    11 Swedish 8.02
    12 South_Dutch 9.76
    13 West_German 10.83
    14 North_Swedish 10.95
    15 East_German 14.23
    16 French 14.47
    17 Southwest_Finnish 15.54
    18 Austrian 18.1
    19 Hungarian 18.79
    20 Finnish 18.91

    Mixed Mode Population Sharing:

    # Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
    1 85.3% Irish + 14.7% Swedish @ 2.74
    2 96.9% West_Scottish + 3.1% Chechen @ 2.76
    3 97.1% West_Scottish + 2.9% North_Ossetian @ 2.77
    4 97.4% Irish + 2.6% Tabassaran @ 2.78
    5 89.9% Irish + 10.1% North_Swedish @ 2.79
    6 97.7% Irish + 2.3% Chechen @ 2.8
    7 67.9% Irish + 32.1% North_Dutch @ 2.81
    8 74.3% West_Scottish + 25.7% North_German @ 2.82
    9 97.7% Irish + 2.3% Lezgin @ 2.82
    10 97.2% West_Scottish + 2.8% Kabardin @ 2.82
    11 86.3% Irish + 13.7% West_Norwegian @ 2.83
    12 97.3% West_Scottish + 2.7% Adygei @ 2.83
    13 97% West_Scottish + 3% Tabassaran @ 2.83
    14 98% Irish + 2% North_Ossetian @ 2.84
    15 97.1% West_Scottish + 2.9% Lezgin @ 2.84
    16 86.3% Irish + 13.7% Norwegian @ 2.84
    17 97.3% West_Scottish + 2.7% Balkar @ 2.85
    18 94.8% Irish + 5.2% Finnish @ 2.85
    19 96% Irish + 4% Estonian @ 2.86
    20 98% Irish + 2% Kabardin @ 2.86

    Brother

    Admix Results (sorted):

    # Population Percent
    1 North_Sea 38.02
    2 Atlantic 28.5
    3 Eastern_Euro 9.98
    4 Baltic 9.12
    5 West_Med 7.56
    6 West_Asian 5.23
    7 South_Asian 0.94
    8 Amerindian 0.66

    Single Population Sharing:

    # Population (source) Distance
    1 Orcadian 2.86
    2 West_Scottish 3.29
    3 North_Dutch 3.86
    4 Danish 3.88
    5 Irish 3.94
    6 Southeast_English 4.12
    7 Southwest_English 4.99
    8 North_German 6.29
    9 Norwegian 6.64
    10 West_Norwegian 6.68
    11 Swedish 8.41
    12 South_Dutch 8.96
    13 West_German 9.41
    14 North_Swedish 11.21
    15 French 13.25
    16 East_German 14.5
    17 Southwest_Finnish 16.66
    18 Austrian 18.83
    19 Hungarian 19.23
    20 Finnish 19.85

    Mixed Mode Population Sharing:

    # Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
    1 93.9% Orcadian + 6.1% Ukrainian_Belgorod @ 2.13
    2 94.7% Orcadian + 5.3% Erzya @ 2.15
    3 88.5% Orcadian + 11.5% East_German @ 2.16
    4 94.1% Orcadian + 5.9% Southwest_Russian @ 2.18
    5 94.2% Orcadian + 5.8% Kargopol_Russian @ 2.18
    6 93.9% Orcadian + 6.1% Russian_Smolensk @ 2.2
    7 96.2% Orcadian + 3.8% Tabassaran @ 2.21
    8 96.4% Orcadian + 3.6% Chechen @ 2.21
    9 76.6% Orcadian + 23.4% North_German @ 2.21
    10 96.4% Orcadian + 3.6% Lezgin @ 2.21
    11 93% Orcadian + 7% Croatian @ 2.22
    12 93.1% Orcadian + 6.9% South_Polish @ 2.22
    13 93.3% Orcadian + 6.7% Polish @ 2.23
    14 93.4% Orcadian + 6.6% Moldavian @ 2.24
    15 94.3% Orcadian + 5.7% Estonian_Polish @ 2.24
    16 93.6% Orcadian + 6.4% Ukrainian @ 2.26
    17 91.5% Orcadian + 8.5% Austrian @ 2.27
    18 96.6% Orcadian + 3.4% Kabardin @ 2.27
    19 94.5% Orcadian + 5.5% Belorussian @ 2.29
    20 96.8% Orcadian + 3.2% Adygei @ 2.29
    Last edited by Jessie; 11-01-2016 at 10:15 AM.

  10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

     Amerijoe (11-01-2016),  anglesqueville (11-01-2016),  Helgenes50 (11-01-2016),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (11-01-2016),  kevinduffy (11-01-2016),  [email protected] (11-01-2016)

  11. #6
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    7,730
    Sex
    Location
    Normandy
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

    Normandie Orkney Netherlands Friesland East Frisia Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    There isn't a Welsh sample in that calculator but I would presume Southwest English might be a good proxy although I'm not really sure. This is what I get on Eurogenes K15 and I am fully Irish and my brother's results. I guess it is reasonably accurate and it is in the right ballpark.

    Admix Results (sorted):

    # Population Percent
    1 North_Sea 37.04
    2 Atlantic 29.88
    3 Baltic 11.89
    4 Eastern_Euro 8.75
    5 West_Asian 5.16
    6 West_Med 4.95
    7 Amerindian 1.15
    8 Red_Sea 1.1
    9 Siberian 0.07

    Single Population Sharing:

    # Population (source) Distance
    1 Irish 3.03
    2 West_Scottish 3.18
    3 North_Dutch 3.71
    4 Danish 3.92
    5 Orcadian 4.92
    6 Southeast_English 5.05
    7 North_German 5.1
    8 Southwest_English 6.72
    9 Norwegian 7.23
    10 West_Norwegian 7.49
    11 Swedish 8.02
    12 South_Dutch 9.76
    13 West_German 10.83
    14 North_Swedish 10.95
    15 East_German 14.23
    16 French 14.47
    17 Southwest_Finnish 15.54
    18 Austrian 18.1
    19 Hungarian 18.79
    20 Finnish 18.91

    Mixed Mode Population Sharing:

    # Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
    1 85.3% Irish + 14.7% Swedish @ 2.74
    2 96.9% West_Scottish + 3.1% Chechen @ 2.76
    3 97.1% West_Scottish + 2.9% North_Ossetian @ 2.77
    4 97.4% Irish + 2.6% Tabassaran @ 2.78
    5 89.9% Irish + 10.1% North_Swedish @ 2.79
    6 97.7% Irish + 2.3% Chechen @ 2.8
    7 67.9% Irish + 32.1% North_Dutch @ 2.81
    8 74.3% West_Scottish + 25.7% North_German @ 2.82
    9 97.7% Irish + 2.3% Lezgin @ 2.82
    10 97.2% West_Scottish + 2.8% Kabardin @ 2.82
    11 86.3% Irish + 13.7% West_Norwegian @ 2.83
    12 97.3% West_Scottish + 2.7% Adygei @ 2.83
    13 97% West_Scottish + 3% Tabassaran @ 2.83
    14 98% Irish + 2% North_Ossetian @ 2.84
    15 97.1% West_Scottish + 2.9% Lezgin @ 2.84
    16 86.3% Irish + 13.7% Norwegian @ 2.84
    17 97.3% West_Scottish + 2.7% Balkar @ 2.85
    18 94.8% Irish + 5.2% Finnish @ 2.85
    19 96% Irish + 4% Estonian @ 2.86
    20 98% Irish + 2% Kabardin @ 2.86

    Brother

    Admix Results (sorted):

    # Population Percent
    1 North_Sea 38.02
    2 Atlantic 28.5
    3 Eastern_Euro 9.98
    4 Baltic 9.12
    5 West_Med 7.56
    6 West_Asian 5.23
    7 South_Asian 0.94
    8 Amerindian 0.66

    Single Population Sharing:

    # Population (source) Distance
    1 Orcadian 2.86
    2 West_Scottish 3.29
    3 North_Dutch 3.86
    4 Danish 3.88
    5 Irish 3.94
    6 Southeast_English 4.12
    7 Southwest_English 4.99
    8 North_German 6.29
    9 Norwegian 6.64
    10 West_Norwegian 6.68
    11 Swedish 8.41
    12 South_Dutch 8.96
    13 West_German 9.41
    14 North_Swedish 11.21
    15 French 13.25
    16 East_German 14.5
    17 Southwest_Finnish 16.66
    18 Austrian 18.83
    19 Hungarian 19.23
    20 Finnish 19.85

    Mixed Mode Population Sharing:

    # Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
    1 93.9% Orcadian + 6.1% Ukrainian_Belgorod @ 2.13
    2 94.7% Orcadian + 5.3% Erzya @ 2.15
    3 88.5% Orcadian + 11.5% East_German @ 2.16
    4 94.1% Orcadian + 5.9% Southwest_Russian @ 2.18
    5 94.2% Orcadian + 5.8% Kargopol_Russian @ 2.18
    6 93.9% Orcadian + 6.1% Russian_Smolensk @ 2.2
    7 96.2% Orcadian + 3.8% Tabassaran @ 2.21
    8 96.4% Orcadian + 3.6% Chechen @ 2.21
    9 76.6% Orcadian + 23.4% North_German @ 2.21
    10 96.4% Orcadian + 3.6% Lezgin @ 2.21
    11 93% Orcadian + 7% Croatian @ 2.22
    12 93.1% Orcadian + 6.9% South_Polish @ 2.22
    13 93.3% Orcadian + 6.7% Polish @ 2.23
    14 93.4% Orcadian + 6.6% Moldavian @ 2.24
    15 94.3% Orcadian + 5.7% Estonian_Polish @ 2.24
    16 93.6% Orcadian + 6.4% Ukrainian @ 2.26
    17 91.5% Orcadian + 8.5% Austrian @ 2.27
    18 96.6% Orcadian + 3.4% Kabardin @ 2.27
    19 94.5% Orcadian + 5.5% Belorussian @ 2.29
    20 96.8% Orcadian + 3.2% Adygei @ 2.29
    And when you compare your results against your brother's, I'm pretty sure that you don't tell that he is less irish than you, and that he has north-russian ancestors, while you have chechens or ossets . Of course your brother and you have exactly the same ancestors! Oracles are partly a funny game.
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

    (Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

  12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

     A Norfolk L-M20 (11-01-2016),  Amerijoe (11-01-2016),  AnnieD (11-05-2016),  Dubhthach (11-01-2016),  Jessie (11-01-2016),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (11-01-2016),  [email protected] (11-01-2016)

  13. #7
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,276
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

    Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary Ireland Munster Ireland County Roscommon Ireland Connacht
    Quote Originally Posted by anglesqueville View Post
    And when you compare your results against your brother's, I'm pretty sure that you don't tell that he is less irish than you, and that he has north-russian ancestors, while you have chechens or ossets . Of course your brother and you have exactly the same ancestors! Oracles are partly a funny game.
    Yes definitely. I've used them long enough to not take them too literally. On some others he get Irish as his no 1 when I don't so it all evens out in the end. I've been waiting for the new MDLP calculator by Vadim to go up on Gedmatch as that has so many specific areas. It looks really interesting.

  14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

     A Norfolk L-M20 (11-01-2016),  Amerijoe (11-01-2016),  anglesqueville (11-01-2016),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (11-01-2016),  kevinduffy (11-01-2016),  [email protected] (11-01-2016)

  15. #8
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    4,711
    Sex
    Location
    Calne,England
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

    United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    My paper trail is 19% Irish. This is what I get with K15.

    Ancestry

     

    # Population Percent
    1 North_Sea 36.41
    2 Atlantic 31.12
    3 Baltic 10.59
    4 Eastern_Euro 7.68
    5 West_Med 7.61
    6 West_Asian 2.31
    7 Red_Sea 1.44
    8 Amerindian 0.84
    9 Northeast_African 0.77
    10 Siberian 0.39
    11 South_Asian 0.35
    12 Southeast_Asian 0.28
    13 East_Med 0.19

    Single Population Sharing:

    # Population (source) Distance
    1 Irish 1.96
    2 West_Scottish 2.33
    3 Southeast_English 3.25
    4 Orcadian 4.35
    5 Southwest_English 4.56
    6 North_Dutch 4.67
    7 Danish 4.87
    8 North_German 6.43
    9 Norwegian 8.4
    10 West_Norwegian 8.6
    11 South_Dutch 8.67
    12 Swedish 9.66
    13 West_German 10.51
    14 North_Swedish 12.48
    15 French 12.7
    16 East_German 14.76
    17 Southwest_Finnish 16.84
    18 Austrian 18.56
    19 Hungarian 19.56
    20 Spanish_Cataluna 19.6

    Mixed Mode Population Sharing:

    # Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
    1 97.5% Irish + 2.5% French_Basque @ 1.84
    2 99.2% Irish + 0.8% Somali @ 1.84
    3 99.3% Irish + 0.7% Ethiopian_Ari_cultivator @ 1.86
    4 99.2% Irish + 0.8% Ethiopian_Wolayta @ 1.86
    5 99.3% Irish + 0.7% Ethiopian_Oromo @ 1.87
    6 95.1% West_Scottish + 4.9% French_Basque @ 1.88
    7 99.3% Irish + 0.7% Ethiopian_Amhara @ 1.89
    8 99.4% Irish + 0.6% Ethiopian_Gumuz @ 1.89
    9 99.4% Irish + 0.6% Maasai @ 1.89
    10 99.3% Irish + 0.7% Ethiopian_Tigray @ 1.89
    11 97.7% Irish + 2.3% Spanish_Cantabria @ 1.9
    12 99.5% Irish + 0.5% Hadza @ 1.9
    13 98.1% Irish + 1.9% Spanish_Aragon @ 1.91
    14 99.5% Irish + 0.5% Sandawe @ 1.91
    15 98.1% Irish + 1.9% Southwest_French @ 1.91
    16 99.6% Irish + 0.4% Ethiopian_Anuak @ 1.92
    17 98.3% Irish + 1.7% Spanish_Castilla_La_Mancha @ 1.92
    18 98.2% Irish + 1.8% Spanish_Castilla_Y_Leon @ 1.93
    19 98.3% Irish + 1.7% Spanish_Galicia @ 1.93
    20 99.6% Irish + 0.4% Sudanese @ 1.93



    FTDNA

     
    # Population Percent
    1 North_Sea 36.08
    2 Atlantic 31.18
    3 Baltic 10.73
    4 West_Med 7.83
    5 Eastern_Euro 7.73
    6 West_Asian 2.34
    7 Red_Sea 1.43
    8 Amerindian 0.89
    9 Northeast_African 0.69
    10 South_Asian 0.33
    11 Southeast_Asian 0.32
    12 Siberian 0.29
    13 East_Med 0.15

    Single Population Sharing:

    # Population (source) Distance
    1 Irish 1.99
    2 West_Scottish 2.5
    3 Southeast_English 3.17
    4 Southwest_English 4.41
    5 Orcadian 4.6
    6 North_Dutch 4.76
    7 Danish 4.94
    8 North_German 6.32
    9 South_Dutch 8.45
    10 Norwegian 8.52
    11 West_Norwegian 8.8
    12 Swedish 9.75
    13 West_German 10.45
    14 French 12.49
    15 North_Swedish 12.53
    16 East_German 14.53
    17 Southwest_Finnish 16.75
    18 Austrian 18.32
    19 Spanish_Cataluna 19.35
    20 Hungarian 19.38

    Mixed Mode Population Sharing:

    # Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
    1 96.5% Irish + 3.5% French_Basque @ 1.74
    2 96.5% Irish + 3.5% Spanish_Cantabria @ 1.83
    3 96.7% Irish + 3.3% Southwest_French @ 1.85
    4 97% Irish + 3% Spanish_Aragon @ 1.86
    5 99.2% Irish + 0.8% Somali @ 1.88
    6 94.1% West_Scottish + 5.9% French_Basque @ 1.88
    7 97.2% Irish + 2.8% Spanish_Castilla_La_Mancha @ 1.88
    8 97% Irish + 3% Spanish_Castilla_Y_Leon @ 1.89
    9 99.4% Irish + 0.6% Ethiopian_Ari_cultivator @ 1.9
    10 99.3% Irish + 0.7% Ethiopian_Wolayta @ 1.9
    11 97.2% Irish + 2.8% Spanish_Galicia @ 1.91
    12 99.3% Irish + 0.7% Ethiopian_Oromo @ 1.91
    13 97.5% Irish + 2.5% Spanish_Extremadura @ 1.91
    14 97.4% Irish + 2.6% Portuguese @ 1.91
    15 98.9% Irish + 1.1% Sardinian @ 1.91
    16 97.6% Irish + 2.4% Spanish_Murcia @ 1.92
    17 99.3% Irish + 0.7% Ethiopian_Amhara @ 1.92
    18 99.4% Irish + 0.6% Maasai @ 1.92
    19 98% Irish + 2% Spanish_Andalucia @ 1.92
    20 99.3% Irish + 0.7% Ethiopian_Tigray @ 1.92



    23andMe

     
    # Population Percent
    1 North_Sea 36.04
    2 Atlantic 31.28
    3 Baltic 10.71
    4 West_Med 7.85
    5 Eastern_Euro 7.77
    6 West_Asian 2.37
    7 Red_Sea 1.23
    8 Northeast_African 0.93
    9 Amerindian 0.85
    10 Siberian 0.37
    11 Southeast_Asian 0.28
    12 East_Med 0.21
    13 Oceanian 0.12

    Single Population Sharing:

    # Population (source) Distance
    1 Irish 2.07
    2 West_Scottish 2.57
    3 Southeast_English 3.17
    4 Southwest_English 4.43
    5 Orcadian 4.67
    6 North_Dutch 4.83
    7 Danish 5
    8 North_German 6.36
    9 South_Dutch 8.46
    10 Norwegian 8.6
    11 West_Norwegian 8.87
    12 Swedish 9.82
    13 West_German 10.5
    14 French 12.51
    15 North_Swedish 12.57
    16 East_German 14.56
    17 Southwest_Finnish 16.76
    18 Austrian 18.32
    19 Spanish_Cataluna 19.32
    20 Hungarian 19.41

    Mixed Mode Population Sharing:

    # Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
    1 96.2% Irish + 3.8% French_Basque @ 1.8
    2 93.9% West_Scottish + 6.1% French_Basque @ 1.9
    3 96.3% Irish + 3.7% Spanish_Cantabria @ 1.91
    4 99.1% Irish + 0.9% Ethiopian_Ari_cultivator @ 1.91
    5 99% Irish + 1% Somali @ 1.92
    6 96.5% Irish + 3.5% Southwest_French @ 1.92
    7 99.1% Irish + 0.9% Ethiopian_Wolayta @ 1.93
    8 96.8% Irish + 3.2% Spanish_Aragon @ 1.93
    9 99.1% Irish + 0.9% Ethiopian_Oromo @ 1.95
    10 97% Irish + 3% Spanish_Castilla_La_Mancha @ 1.95
    11 99.3% Irish + 0.7% Ethiopian_Gumuz @ 1.96
    12 96.8% Irish + 3.2% Spanish_Castilla_Y_Leon @ 1.96
    13 99.2% Irish + 0.8% Maasai @ 1.97
    14 99.3% Irish + 0.7% Hadza @ 1.97
    15 99.1% Irish + 0.9% Ethiopian_Amhara @ 1.97
    16 99.1% Irish + 0.9% Ethiopian_Tigray @ 1.98
    17 97.4% Irish + 2.6% Spanish_Extremadura @ 1.99
    18 99.3% Irish + 0.7% Sandawe @ 1.99
    19 97.3% Irish + 2.7% Portuguese @ 1.99
    20 97.4% Irish + 2.6% Spanish_Murcia @ 1.99
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

     Amerijoe (11-01-2016),  anglesqueville (11-01-2016),  Jessie (11-01-2016),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (11-01-2016),  kevinduffy (11-01-2016)

  17. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    993
    Sex
    Location
    Norfolk, East Anglia, UK
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1a8

    East Anglia England European Union
    Here's mine for comparison from the eastern side of our island John:

    Using my FT-DNA raw file (many more SNPs tokenized than with the 23andMe V4 file) on Eurogenes EUtest V2 K15 Oracle:

    1 North_Sea 33.81
    2 Atlantic 28.23
    3 West_Med 12.04
    4 Baltic 10.59
    5 Eastern_Euro 6.84
    6 West_Asian 3.66
    7 East_Med 2.47
    8 Red_Sea 1.46
    9 Amerindian 0.35
    10 South_Asian 0.31
    11 Oceanian 0.25

    Mixed mode population sharing:

    1 80.4% Southwest_English + 19.6% French @ 1.43
    2 73.5% North_Dutch + 26.5% Spanish_Cantabria @ 1.47
    3 89.6% Southwest_English + 10.4% Spanish_Galicia @ 1.49
    4 92.4% Southwest_English + 7.6% North_Italian @ 1.5
    5 90.4% Southwest_English + 9.6% Spanish_Castilla_Y_Leon @ 1.53
    6 93.9% Southwest_English + 6.1% Tuscan @ 1.54
    7 94.5% Southwest_English + 5.5% Greek_Thessaly @ 1.56
    8 90.7% Southwest_English + 9.3% Portuguese @ 1.58
    9 95.5% Southwest_English + 4.5% East_Sicilian @ 1.61
    10 95% Southwest_English + 5% Greek @ 1.62
    11 94% Southwest_English + 6% Bulgarian @ 1.62
    12 91.6% Southwest_English + 8.4% Spanish_Extremadura @ 1.63
    13 95.8% Southwest_English + 4.2% South_Italian @ 1.63
    14 90.3% Southwest_English + 9.7% Spanish_Cataluna @ 1.64
    15 95.5% Southwest_English + 4.5% Central_Greek @ 1.64
    16 96.5% Southwest_English + 3.5% Sardinian @ 1.65
    17 96.6% Southwest_English + 3.4% Moroccan @ 1.66
    18 93.5% Southwest_English + 6.5% Romanian @ 1.67
    19 95.3% Southwest_English + 4.7% West_Sicilian @ 1.67
    20 95.6% Southwest_English + 4.4% Ashkenazi @ 1.67

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A Norfolk L-M20 For This Useful Post:

     anglesqueville (11-01-2016),  Jessie (11-01-2016),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (11-01-2016),  [email protected] (11-01-2016)

  19. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,919
    Sex
    Location
    South East Wales UK
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

    United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by anglesqueville View Post
    Only my opinion: don't get too troubled by oracles. Just an example, with my mom ( who is not at all irish, only normand, at least 3/4):
    1 Atlantic 32.84
    2 North_Sea 32.29
    3 Baltic 12.2
    4 Eastern_Euro 9.94
    5 West_Med 7.58
    6 East_Med 2.95
    7 West_Asian 1.17
    8 Oceanian 0.79
    9 South_Asian 0.14
    10 Northeast_African 0.12

    1 82.3% Danish + 17.7% French_Basque @ 3.57
    2 86.3% Irish + 13.7% Southwest_French @ 4.13
    3 88.9% Irish + 11.1% French_Basque @ 4.14
    4 87.3% Irish + 12.7% Spanish_Valencia @ 4.21
    5 83.3% West_Scottish + 16.7% Southwest_French @ 4.25
    6 83.7% Irish + 16.3% Austrian @ 4.27
    7 88% Irish + 12% Spanish_Aragon @ 4.28
    8 86.6% West_Scottish + 13.4% French_Basque @ 4.33
    9 89.1% Irish + 10.9% Spanish_Andalucia @ 4.35
    10 91.2% Southeast_English + 8.8% Estonian_Polish @ 4.38
    11 88.5% Irish + 11.5% Spanish_Castilla_La_Mancha @ 4.38
    12 84.5% West_Scottish + 15.5% Spanish_Valencia @ 4.39 etc ...............

    High "irish" too. About your "azeri"/"lebanese-muslim", etc. Hopefully you'll not waste your time searching ancestors in Middle East or South Asia . The calculator ( and only it) finds for you a "red sea" component ( and imo that does not mean you have actually), reason why the orable algorithm attempts to take it into account. For the same reason it gives to my mother a "french basque" % ( certainly because of her "west med"). All this is basically mathematical tinkerings.
    Thank you very much for your reply and everyone else.
    No I'm not searching for relatives in the Middle East.
    I wasn't taking "Irish" too literally, more possibly as a general indicator of a "celtic" population, although in the part of Wales where some of my ancestors come from there was it seems, an early Irish presence.
    "Around 35 of these have been found in Wales. Significantly, 26 of the Ogham stones found in Wales have Latin inscriptions as well. Twelve of these were found in Pembrokeshire, five in the former county of Breconshire (Powys), and four in Carmarthenshire. This contrasts markedly with the far more plentiful stones found in Ireland - which are (with one exception) in ogham only. According to Dark (2000, citing Civitas, 192-3) the Ogham inscriptions in Wales attest to:

    "...a living Irish language in western Britain, particularly in south-west Wales and what was later Breconshire. "

    "According to Brereton (1990: 91):

    "Brecon claims several distinguished personages of past centuries, but it cannot honestly lay claim to him who gave his name to the town and to the county. When the Irish-Welsh chieftain, Brychan, ruled these parts in the 5th century, nothing but a thickly wooded river confluence marked the site of the future town, and we do not even know where he made his headquarters or where he died. At all events, 'Brychan the Freckled One' deserves some recognition as surely the most prolific procreator in Breconshire's history. It is on record that he fathered no fewer than thirty-six offspring - eleven sons and twenty-five daughters - in which activity he had the co-operation of three wives and an uncertain number of mistresses."

    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...HsUNns-EVVb_-g


    Thank you all for bearing with me, old dog trying to learn new tricks. John

  20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

     Amerijoe (11-01-2016),  anglesqueville (11-01-2016),  Jessie (11-01-2016),  kujira692 (11-01-2016)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Basque, Sardinian, SW Asian (Burusho etc.) - Welsh or Irish?
    By JohnHowellsTyrfro in forum Living DNA
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 08-22-2020, 03:34 PM
  2. Artefact shows Bronze Age Irish/Welsh Borders link
    By JonikW in forum Archaeology (Prehistory)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2019, 11:43 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-16-2018, 06:41 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-17-2016, 08:51 AM
  5. Need help from Irish Gaelic speaker (on Celtic tribes)
    By Jean M in forum History (Ancient)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 09:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •