Thread: MyHeritage launches DNA testing service to help you uncover your family’s history

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152 >L2>BY34131
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1a1a

United States of America Scotland England Netherlands

MyHeritage launches DNA testing service to help you uncover your family’s history

https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/07/my...milys-history/

The popular online genealogy service MyHeritage today announced the launch of its MyHeritage DNA service for helping its users uncover more about their family’s history and ethnicity. Users who take the test, which currently costs $79 (plus shipping), will get a detailed ethnicity report that will map their families’ ethnic and geographic origins and, if available, the report will also show potential DNA matches for finding relatives on the service as well.

As MyHeritage CEO and founder Gilad Japhet told me, he believes that DNA testing is the future of family history. The test itself, he said, is based on a simple cheek scrape test that shouldn’t take more than a minute or two. Getting results takes a bit longer, though. The company’s U.S.-based lab takes about three to four weeks to return results to the users. At that point, the company will be able to give you a detailed breakdown of your family’s origins.

For now, the company’s reports include 25 ethnicities, but the plan is to quickly grow this number to more than 100 ethnicities (and as MyHeritage gathers more data, it will also update older DNA reports with this new and more detailed information). To seed its DNA database, MyHeritage is currently running what it calls the “Founder Population project.” As part of this, it has sent out 5,000 free DNA kits to existing members around the world.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PLogan For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (11-07-2016),  dp (11-07-2016),  J1 DYS388=13 (11-07-2016),  JonikW (11-07-2016),  leonardo (11-07-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT248579
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

United States of America Canada
    Family Finder in MyHeritage packaging or own test?
    Last edited by C J Wyatt III; 11-07-2016 at 02:58 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to C J Wyatt III For This Useful Post:

rod (11-07-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152 >L2>BY34131
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1a1a

United States of America Scotland England Netherlands
    I read through their site and found nothing, even in the small print, that leads me to believe they are using other testing facilities. The following is actually stated in their literature.

All testing is done in our world-leading CLIA-certified, CAP-accredited laboratory in the United States.
    Sure we'll learn more soon. They do state they can turn around results in 3 - 4 weeks, so based on my experience with FTDNA (I manage lots of kits) , I doubt they're using them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PLogan For This Useful Post:

vettor (11-07-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Quote Originally Posted by PLogan View Post
    I read through their site and found nothing, even in the small print, that leads me to believe they are using other testing facilities. The following is actually stated in their literature.

Sure we'll learn more soon. They do state they can turn around results in 3 - 4 weeks, so based on my experience with FTDNA (I manage lots of kits) , I doubt they're using them.
    MyHertiage "own" Geni , and both work hand in hand ( sharing support ) with FamilySearch of Utah USA .

I wonder if this huge organisation ( familySearch) has access somewhere with a testing company.

IIRC, FamilySearch is run by the Mormon church/organisation, they have permission by some one of "world authority" to gather data from church records worldwide to place these historical written records in their computers servers.

BTW, they updated their site today for me and still have accepted my Ftdna and 23andme family uploads to be used for DNA matching in records to family records.'

The MyHeritage website (the "Website") is part of a group of websites that we own and operate (the "MyHeritage Website Group") which also includes MyHeritage.* websites on other top-level domains, Geni.com, WorldVitalRecords.com and FamilyLink.com.

their HQ is in Tel aviv Israel and they have another site in Lehi Utah ..........a suburb in salt lake city Utah
    Last edited by vettor; 11-07-2016 at 04:40 PM.

My Path = ( K-M9+, LT-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483+ )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-CTS6397 yDna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtDna
    Son's mtDna = K1a4p

8. The Following User Says Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

dp (11-07-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c9a

Does anybody know if the tests will be available to those outside of the U.S? I would be more interested if I know people from Europe can purchase the test as well.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA (P)
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c23

United States of America Scotland

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

dp (11-09-2016),  leonardo (11-10-2016)

Legacy Account
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United Kingdom
    Golly! I have DNA matches in MyHeritage. Just received the email. Most seem to be in the US, so this is my chance to see if my deductions were right about the couple who created all the matches with Americans that I have in 23andMe. No time to check it out now. In fact I'll probably just wait for them to contact me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

Silesian (11-10-2016)