Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    BY198
    mtDNA
    T1a1

Ireland Scotland Flanders Basque Russian Federation

East Tyrone

Anyone have anything n BY11726? Off shoot (?) of A738, A8815.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gael
    Nationality
    Éireanach
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF41
    mtDNA
    U4d3

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by GogMagog View Post
    Anyone have anything n BY11726? Off shoot (?) of A738, A8815.
    Well at least two BY11726 men have done BigY:

http://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php...185&star=false
    (R1b-DF41+)
    (MtDNA: U4d3)

How to pronounce my username (modern Irish):
    Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    BY198
    mtDNA
    T1a1

I thought you'd know about this. Interested in Egan - some are and some are not. Hinges on A8815.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gael
    Nationality
    Éireanach
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF41
    mtDNA
    U4d3

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by GogMagog View Post
    I thought you'd know about this. Interested in Egan - some are and some are not. Hinges on A8815.
    so there are Egan's who are BY198+ but A8815-

There's number of distinct families that can anglisced as Egan:

---
    Mac AODHAGÁIN—IV—M'Egaine, M'Hegane, M'Keagan, M'Kiegane, MacEgan, MacKeegan, Egan, Heagan, Keegan, etc.; 'son of Aodhagán' (a diminutive of Aodh); the name of a distinguished brehon family. They belonged originally to the district of Ui Maine in Connacht; but in the 14th and 15th centuries, branches of the family settled in Ormond, Desmond, and many other parts of Ireland, where they became brehons to the local chieftains. They also kept schools of law, and many learned men and eminent professors of the same name are mentioned in the Irish annals.
    -
    Ó hAODHAGÁIN—I—O Hegane, O Higane, O Heagan, O Heegan, O Heaken, O Hoogan, O Huggain, O'Hegan, Hegan, Heagan, Hagan, Hogan, Egan, Eagan, Eakin, Hegans, Hagans, Higgans, Huggins, &c.; 'descendant of Aodhagán' (diminutive of Aodh); the name (1) of an Oriel family who, in the 10th and 11th centuries, were lords of Dartraighe, in Co. Monaghan, and of Ui Niallain, in Co. Armagh, and to which belonged Ivor O'Hegan, the tutor of St. Malachy and founder of the church of SS. Peter and Paul at Armagh; and (2) of a family of Ely-O'Carroll, in the present Offaly. This surname, owing to the different dialectical pronunciations of the syllable 'Aodh,' is variously anglicised in different parts of Ireland. In Ulster, it frequently became Ó Faodhagáin (which see), anglicised Fegan.
    -
    Ó FAODHAGÁIN—I—O Fegane, O Fegan, Feagan, Fegan, Fagan; a variant of Ó hAodhagáin, which see.
    ---

Uí Maine region family is generally most famous, in which case ye dealing with the midlands/middle reach of River Shannon. I do think we need alot more BY198 results, it's one of smaller branches of DF105 so far.
    (R1b-DF41+)
    (MtDNA: U4d3)

How to pronounce my username (modern Irish):
    Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dubhthach For This Useful Post:

GogMagog (11-21-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    BY198
    mtDNA
    T1a1

The Egans (MacEgans) controlled both banks of the Shannon so reasonably important. Yes the Offaly triangle cropped up at the Clan reunion, my guess is that they have some O'Corcorans there who changed name for whatever reason.

Sex

GogMagog. Sorry to be chiming in so late after your discussion, I am 49625 Egan on The Big Tree, only record the family have of Martin Egan is Clare written on his Death certificate. My Irish Brick Wall My y 25 places me in in amongst the main Cluster of Egans. There are several Egans who have tested Big Y but none have come up as a match under hg19 and as I am one of the cursed suffering "AJAX ERROR" in hg 38 so no matches are available. Fingers crossed for the future.
    Dubhthach, "The Egans (MacEgans) controlled both banks of the Shannon so reasonably important" interested in verifying this statement. Most of our registered clan have links back to Tipperary!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gnome For This Useful Post:

GogMagog (03-02-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    BY198
    mtDNA
    T1a1

Yes I came across Martin Egan of Clare somewhere. Egans moved down from Derry/Donegal before the Vikings, to Ui Maine. Then had land in Galway (Duniry, Park) and subsequently to Dorrha Tipperary. My guess is that they were used to hold both sides of the Shannon, furthest south the Ui Neill ever reached.