Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union

Huguenot endogamy?

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone with partial Huguenot ancestry has noticed a tendency for matches to come disproportionally from this background?

Specifically, after noting a number of matches with the names Mullins/Moline/Mullen/Molyneux as well as Calver/Calvert/Calvet/Calvit, Foucher/Fouquet/Fuqua, and Boyer/Beyer, I am wondering if absolutely all these links come from my known Huguenot ancestry back in the 17th century (Vassal).

Some Huguenot ancestry in Ireland before 1800 is hard to rule out but I suspect a Huguenot haploblock project could be interesting.

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW European
    Nationality
    United States
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L21 (DF21, L720)
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a2

England Scotland Germany Palatinate France-Ile-de-France England North of England
    I can't say my Huguenot results turn up with greater than expected frequency. They do appear for certain, which is more than some lines I would like to have shown up do. Ramey, Sallee, LeMaster (possibly Huguenot), and Sublett lines all do appear in my DNA matches. Then again, for numbers of matches, they have to keep up with my Kentucky hills and Quaker ancestry--both of which counter to popular belief did not involve consanguinity but rather involves the fact that there were only so many families in given locations or affiliations so that many of us are descended from different combinations of the same families, as it were. Such situations take the fun out of establishing degree of cousin relationships, if you ask me, because you end up with a fifth cousin on one line, an eighth cousin on another, so then what really is the relationship? I still diligently send out every single invitation on 23andme, but it begins to drive me crazy, especially since very few people realize what it takes to track down a relationship.
    architectural historian/material culture historian
    specialty: East/West interaction 17th to 19th centuries

4. The Following User Says Thank You to History-of-Things For This Useful Post:

AJL (05-17-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Thanks. I do have some dead ends in the Colonies that I suspect could tie into further Huguenot lines, and a Sheridan ancestor who was probably from the same Sheridans who were heavily intermarried with Irish Huguenots (Le Fanu). Sometimes it's hard to know what to take as a clue, and what not.

Good point about the difficulties tracing the true relationship down. I am now at the point where I can be pretty confident of a few matches but usually only because of overlap with known relatives.

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

J Man
    That is quite interesting AJL. I am pretty sure that I have some distant Huguenot ancestry myself coming from my maternal grandmother's North Irish family. Her mother's maiden name was Oliver which is thought to have originally been Olivier and came to Ireland/Britain as Huguenots to work in the linen industry.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Interesting! I wonder if you are related to the actor Sir Laurence (later Baron) Olivier? If you get to Dublin you may want to check these out:

http://www.huguenotsinireland.com/huguenotarchive.html

http://www.dochara.com/the-irish/sur...es-in-ireland/

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

J Man
    ^Hard to say maybe!

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Pred.Anglo-Saxon + Briton
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b S21184, BY50830+
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b1a2 - FGS
    Y-DNA (M)
    ?
    mtDNA (P)
    I2

Canada England Wales Netherlands France Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone with partial Huguenot ancestry has noticed a tendency for matches to come disproportionally from this background?

Specifically, after noting a number of matches with the names Mullins/Moline/Mullen/Molyneux as well as Calver/Calvert/Calvet/Calvit, Foucher/Fouquet/Fuqua, and Boyer/Beyer, I am wondering if absolutely all these links come from my known Huguenot ancestry back in the 17th century (Vassal).

Some Huguenot ancestry in Ireland before 1800 is hard to rule out but I suspect a Huguenot haploblock project could be interesting.
    Unfortunately I have not made any Huguenot connections with French surnames despite having documentation on this. There is a large segment with a "Batchelor" (Bachellier) surname, but whether this individual's surname is derived from my Huguenot ancestor I don't know. I do have several large (0.15+) Spanish connections, but no French on my father's side.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ADW_1981 For This Useful Post:

AJL (05-22-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    Hi all,

I've seen "Molyneaux" in SC/NC. A couple of times I thought that was my direct maternal line. But I erased it when I got on another track.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

AJL (05-23-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    I've seen "Molyneaux" in SC/NC. A couple of times I thought that was my direct maternal line. But I erased it when I got on another track.
    Thanks -- indeed, my mother and I have a whole slate of matches from the South that might come from old Huguenot connections, or possibly Scots or Irish ones, or some combination of these. A few also have Welsh names so I can't rule that out.

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Regarding Molyeux/Mullenax, I had a little tree I made at Ancestry (which I had forgotten about) that shows my earliest known female ancestress (b.1760 or so) as having a daddy named Wiliam Mullenax. Well, that has since (I think) been shown to be wrong. However, said William Mullenax (he really existed) was born about 1730 in Goochland County, Virginia. His dad, John Mullenax (abt 1700 Dublin, Ire - 1745, Manakintown, Goochland, VA) arrived in Virginia in 1721. My little tree went back to (John's dad) Robert Sr. Molyneux b.1640 - d.abt 1700 in Ireland (born and died in Ireland). Dates and places as per other peoples' entries at Ancestry.

Although I deleted my maternal ancestress from that tree, there are several parallel names and dates to my tree. So I think I'll keep that tree there for a while.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 05-24-2013 at 05:38 AM.