Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Received my BigY results - now I'm really confused :(

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Posts
    3
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC8158
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1-T16192C!

    Question Received my BigY results - now I'm really confused :(

    Can one of you (far smarter than I) please help?

    I'm kit 449922 on FTDNA. I've done Y67, full mtDNA, family finder, R1b-M343&M269 Backbone SNP, and most recently BigY.

    After the backbone test I was given DF103. After BigY, it only seemed to get a single branch deeper and I was given FGC8158.

    This is the list of SNPs I tested positive for (I removed the negative ones):
    CTS10834+, CTS11985+, CTS12478+, CTS2664+, CTS3063+, CTS3358+, CTS3575+, CTS3654+, CTS4244+, CTS4368+, DF103+, F115+, F1209+, F1329+, F1704+, F1714+, F1753+, F1767+, F2048+, F2142+, F2155+, F2402+, F2587+, F2688+, F2837+, F2985+, F3111+, F313+, F3136+, F3335+, F3556+, F3692+, F47+, F719+, F82+, FGC4183+, FGC5798 *, FGC8158+, FGC8178+, L1090+, L11+, L132+, L138+, L15+, L150+, L16+, L2+, L23+, L265+, L278+, L350+, L389+, L407+, L468+, L482+, L483+, L498+, L500+, L506+, L51+, L52+, L585+, L747+, L752+, L754+, L761+, L768+, L773+, L779+, L82+, M168+, M173+, M207+, M213+, M235+, M269+, M294+, M299+, M306+, M343+, M415+, M42+, M45+, M526+, M74+, M89+, M9+, M94+, P128+, P131+, P132+, P133+, P134+, P135+, P136+, P138+, P139+, P14+, P140+, P141+, P143+, P145+, P146+, P148+, P149+, P151+, P157+, P158+, P159+, P160+, P161+, P163+, P166+, P187+, P207+, P224+, P225+, P226+, P228+, P229+, P230+, P231+, P232+, P233+, P234+, P235+, P236+, P237+, P238+, P239+, P242+, P243+, P244+, P245+, P280+, P281+, P282+, P283+, P284+, P285+, P286+, P294+, P295+, P297+, P310+, P311+, P312+, P316+, PAGES00026+, PAGES00081+, PAGES00083+, PF2591+, PF2608+, PF2611+, PF2615+, PF2745+, PF2747+, PF2748+, PF2749+, PF2770+, PF5869+, PF5871+, PF5882+, PF5886+, PF5888+, PF5953+, PF5956+, PF5957+, PF5964+, PF5965+, PF5982+, PF6246+, PF6249+, PF6250+, PF6270+, PF6271+, PF6272+, PF6409+, PF6425+, PF6430+, PF6432+, PF6434+, PF6438+, PF6463+, PF6464+, PF6469+, PF6470+, PF6477+, PF6479+, PF6494+, PF6495+, PF6498+, PF6500+, PF6506+, PF6507+, PF6509+, PF6520+, PF6524+

    Is there anything in that jumble that might give a clue to my roots? On the genealogy side, I can't seem to get beyond my GG-GF from the same state (TX) in the mid-1800s. FTDNA has my "My Origins" section with 98% European > 54% British Isles and 37% Scandanavian. I was hoping there might be something that came out of the BigY test that could point to, say Scotland, as a more definitive location?

    Any help is appreciated. Hopefully I've at least contributed to the overall community by having taken the BigY and possibly adding to the available data. Please let me know if I should upload anything in particular to any site/s?

    Regards,
    Ken

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to kenmhall1 For This Useful Post:

     kw5368 (12-06-2016)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    388
    Sex
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2>BY4242-Germany
    mtDNA (M)
    H3h-Germany
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-FT41362-Azores, Pt
    mtDNA (P)
    W6a-Slovakia

    United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    Hi, well the designation they gave you is your most precise one based on known SNPs in their list. However the Big Y should have also given you a few dozen unknown SNPs called novel SNPs. That list of novel SNPs given at FTDNA contains some untrustable SNPs however so you have to weed them out.

    While you can do it yourself with lots of hard work it can be done for you at ytree.net or yfull. The former is free and the later isn't and both have their benefits. Also the project coordinators in our little section of the Y tree can look at your data if you share it with them.

    I'm not too far from you myself with my A6454 being a relatively close relation to your FGC8158. We're only 2500 years or so from our last common ancestor on the Y line! I can see you on my Big Y match list and it looks like our shared novel SNPs are either unstable or older than 2500 years. Hopefully you have other carriers of FGC8158 that you can compare and find some links within the last 2500 years.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

     kw5368 (12-06-2016)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    33
    Sex
    Location
    WV
    Ethnicity
    Eng./Irish/German/French
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-S42, CTS7197
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a

    United States of America United Kingdom Ireland Germany France
    Have you tried doing your tree at MyHeritage or FamilySearch? You can find a lot of information on those two sites.

    Ken

  6. #4
    Junior Member
    Posts
    3
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC8158
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1-T16192C!

    Quote Originally Posted by kw5368 View Post
    Have you tried doing your tree at MyHeritage or FamilySearch? You can find a lot of information on those two sites.

    Ken
    Not so much luck there either. My problem is I don't trust all of the arm-chair genealogists that are quick to include people in their trees without proper research.
    Last edited by kenmhall1; 12-06-2016 at 11:36 PM.

  7. #5
    Junior Member
    Posts
    3
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC8158
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1-T16192C!

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Hi, well the designation they gave you is your most precise one based on known SNPs in their list. However the Big Y should have also given you a few dozen unknown SNPs called novel SNPs. That list of novel SNPs given at FTDNA contains some untrustable SNPs however so you have to weed them out.

    While you can do it yourself with lots of hard work it can be done for you at ytree.net or yfull. The former is free and the later isn't and both have their benefits. Also the project coordinators in our little section of the Y tree can look at your data if you share it with them.

    I'm not too far from you myself with my A6454 being a relatively close relation to your FGC8158. We're only 2500 years or so from our last common ancestor on the Y line! I can see you on my Big Y match list and it looks like our shared novel SNPs are either unstable or older than 2500 years. Hopefully you have other carriers of FGC8158 that you can compare and find some links within the last 2500 years.
    Apparently, I'm already included in ytree (being processed) - Richard Rocca had emailed me asking to send him my BigY results (and I did).

    I'm here: http://ytree.net/SNPinfoForPerson.php?personID=4978

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to kenmhall1 For This Useful Post:

     gotten (12-07-2016)

  9. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    33
    Sex
    Location
    WV
    Ethnicity
    Eng./Irish/German/French
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-S42, CTS7197
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a

    United States of America United Kingdom Ireland Germany France
    Quote Originally Posted by kenmhall1 View Post
    Not so much luck there either. My problem is I don't trust all of the arm-chair genealogists that are quick to include people in their trees without proper research.
    If you have your GG Grandfather's name and a birth year, FamilySearch.org is a good place to start. You should be able to find census records etc. with a little due diligence. Finding great aunts and uncles helps too.

    Ken

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-27-2018, 09:24 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-22-2017, 05:20 AM
  3. Just Received My Big Y Results
    By TROUTMAN in forum L2
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2016, 02:44 PM
  4. Y Haplogroup Results received E-m35.
    By jof2311 in forum E
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-28-2016, 11:57 AM
  5. Received Big Y results
    By ML Hill 6342 in forum L2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2016, 08:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •