Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: High Irish AncestryDNA Results?

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,579
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

    Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland

    Question High Irish AncestryDNA Results?

    I have just received my Ancestry DNA results, I am from Northern Ireland. Most of my Ancestry is Irish, but a considerable proportion (30%) is from the Ulster Scots community; this was confirmed by my two Genetic Communities: Ulster Irish and Scots.

    My results were surprising in that I scored 88% Irish and 0% Great Britain, with various other regions in Mainland Europe contributing to 10% of the remaining European total. This was surprising in itself as I have received a Genetic Community in Scotland.

    What would be the reason for this? Is it possible that the Irish is mixed with Scots or is this 88% figure realistic? I would've thought the typical Irish person would record 2-3% GB irrespective of my Ulster Scots ancestry/heritage. So to me it is amazing that I have recorded 0% GB.

    What is going on here?

  2. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    53
    Sex
    Location
    US
    Ethnicity
    American British
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z63*
    mtDNA (M)
    H5b1

    United States of America United Kingdom Norway Ireland Germany
    The western Scots probably are scoring very Celtic.

    Irish clans the Romans called Scoti had taken over western Scotland at that time. During the plantation times some of them came back to Northern Ireland for land/opportunity. It's probably hard to tell and I think Ancestry.com calls almost all Celtic as Irish.

  3. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,579
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

    Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Why the 0% Great Britain though? Would you not expect at least 2-3%? Is there anything I can do to clarify this?

    As I said, it seems odd not to score GB given the trace results in more distant ethnic backgrounds e.g Melanesian and South Asian.
    Last edited by Nqp15hhu; 08-01-2017 at 02:37 AM.

  4. #4
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,817
    Sex
    Location
    Florida, USA.
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT80854
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e2>T2626C
    mtDNA (P)
    K1

    England Scotland Ireland Germany Bayern Italy Two Sicilies France
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    Why the 0% Great Britain though? Would you not expect at least 2-3%? Is there anything I can do to clarify this?

    As I said, it seems odd not to score GB given the trace results in more distant ethnic backgrounds e.g Melanesian and South Asian.
    Hello Nqp15hhu,

    Hopefully, this will help.


    https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/...DNA-region.png

    If you look at the map (above) you will see that although the Irish estimate primarily represents ancestry from Ireland, it also covers many neighbouring parts of the world – Scotland, Wales, England and parts of North Western Europe. The reason for this is that individuals in this region of the world have moved around a great deal over the past several hundred years — and they’ve taken their DNA with them. This means that often times, even people with deep roots in a given area can still have a signature of Irish ancestry in their ethnicity estimate, particularly if that area is close to Ireland ...

    AncestryDNA – The Irish Connection
    https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/...sh-connection/


    Another thing to keep in mind, is that Ancestry's results are suppose to reflect a time period dating back "thousands of years ago," so recent ancestry may not alway strictly apply. Although in your case, this isn't really relevant to the question in hand.
    Last edited by JMcB; 08-01-2017 at 03:05 AM.

  5. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,579
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

    Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Thanks. I really don't know, i'm new to this so i'm just going along.

    In terms of Gedmatch, I received the following, for Single Population Sharing in the Eurogenes K13:
    1. Irish. 3.55.
    2. West Scottish. 4.2.
    3. Orcadian. 4.62.
    4. SouthWest England. 4.7.
    5. North Dutch. 5.68.

    Interesting that the West Scotland appeared, I guess maybe you may be right? Do those figures suggest my most similar Ancestry groups or are they my most prevalent?

  6. #6
    Silver Class Member
    Posts
    4,648
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

    England Scotland Poland Germany Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Did you get Europe West? Gets mixed up with GB pretty consistently on Ancestry.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (08-01-2017)

  8. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,439
    Sex
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I have just received my Ancestry DNA results, I am from Northern Ireland. Most of my Ancestry is Irish, but a considerable proportion (30%) is from the Ulster Scots community; this was confirmed by my two Genetic Communities: Ulster Irish and Scots.

    My results were surprising in that I scored 88% Irish and 0% Great Britain, with various other regions in Mainland Europe contributing to 10% of the remaining European total. This was surprising in itself as I have received a Genetic Community in Scotland.

    What would be the reason for this? Is it possible that the Irish is mixed with Scots or is this 88% figure realistic? I would've thought the typical Irish person would record 2-3% GB irrespective of my Ulster Scots ancestry/heritage. So to me it is amazing that I have recorded 0% GB.

    What is going on here?
    I would focus on the more recent GCs and pretty much ignore the older Ethnicity scores. What probability ratings did you get for your GC membership and how many matches within them?
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A------ (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (08-01-2017)

  10. #8
    Silver Class Member
    Posts
    4,648
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

    England Scotland Poland Germany Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    I would focus on the more recent GCs and pretty much ignore the older Ethnicity scores. What probability ratings did you get for your GC membership and how many matches within them?
    I just want to second this. The GC's appear to be very accurate

  11. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,579
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M222

    Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Ulster Irish: 99 Matches.
    Scots: 33 Matches.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (08-01-2017)

  13. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,775
    Sex
    Location
    Dún Laoire, Bláth Cliath, Éire
    Ethnicity
    Gael
    Nationality
    Éireanach
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41
    mtDNA (M)
    U4d3

    Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    Did you get Europe West? Gets mixed up with GB pretty consistently on Ancestry.
    If this is same poster that is on boards.ie thread (which I think it is), he got 3% West European.
    (R1b-DF41+)
    (MtDNA: U4d3)

    How to pronounce my username (modern Irish):
    Hidden Content

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dubhthach For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (08-01-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2019, 12:18 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2019, 04:12 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-31-2019, 10:06 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-26-2017, 12:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •