Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (Father)
    mtDNA (M)
    H1J2A

United States of America United Kingdom England Scotland Germany Belgium

Post AncestryDNA - New DNA Origins - Genetic Communities Sneak Preview

AncestryDNA is offering a sneak-peak at a new feature called "DNA Origins" - discover your ethnic regions and genetic communities. I just received the email notification today and took a peak:

"Explore a new way to discover details about the people and places you’re connected to. Ready to get the most detailed view of where you come from?”

“AncestryDNA® has made a breakthrough in genetics that connects you with the people and places—your genetic community—that shaped your identify.”

So how well did Ancestry do with my ancestors’ journey? From family lore and records thus far, I could walk in these ancestors’ shoes without stumbling upon too many roadblocks or detours. With almost 100% surnames like a British Isles telephone book and a well-documented Scottish family arriving on the shores of Wilmington, NC, in 1775, I, alas, have not crossed paths with any English aristrocrats yet (probably the indentured servants):

Here are my admixture results:

And here is a preview of my DNA Origins:

My Scottish descendants who set sail on the Ulysses from Greenock, Scotland, in 1774, and settled near southern Georgia:

My German ancestor emigrates to Scotland, marries a Scottish lass, and with family later sets sail for Philadelphia in mid-1700s, eventually settling near foothills of Appalachian mountains in western NC along with British descendants (no, I haven't found any moonshining bootleggers in family tree ... yet ):

And the journey continues onto the mid-20th century. I look forward to "hitching-a-ride" as AncestryDNA fine-tunes this voyage!

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to AnnieD For This Useful Post:

Abd.H (12-10-2016),  Adrian Stevenson (12-09-2016),  AJL (12-25-2016),  Amerijoe (12-10-2016),  Angoliga (12-10-2016),  AntG (02-01-2017),  Cascio (08-07-2017),  Cinnamon orange (02-02-2017),  Don Felipe (12-10-2016),  JMcB (12-11-2016),  jortita (12-09-2016),  Judith (12-10-2016),  kascp1 (01-15-2017),  laulei (12-09-2016),  miiser (12-09-2016),  Mike_G (12-11-2016),  N21163 (05-04-2017),  rms2 (12-10-2016),  Robert McBride (02-12-2017),  Scarlet Ibis (12-10-2016),  sktibo (12-11-2016),  Varun R (12-10-2016),  wandering_amorite (01-04-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British Isles, German
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    C-M217 -> C-CTS3385
    mtDNA (M)
    I1a1d

United Kingdom United States of America Germany Northern Ireland
    Any idea when it will be available for everyone?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jpb For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (12-10-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly West European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (Father)
    mtDNA (M)
    H1J2A

Quote Originally Posted by jpb View Post
    Any idea when it will be available for everyone?
    I guess that my genes are special to get in the sneak preview club! I suspect that ancestries like mine, albeit not fully documented that far back yet, were easier to do for American customers since both sides were fairly concentrated in the Southeast region of USA around Colonial times. I am curious what sources they used for the heritage histories as the U.S. census does not go back further than mid-1800's, I believe. In that regard, I am thrilled to have AncestryDNA do the research and share it with me at the push of a button.

I just returned to the site & see that my feedback on the Genetic Communities experience is requested via a survey button as well as a pop-up message from Lauren from AncestryDNA:

They nailed the research on the textiles and wood industries in North & South Carolina that supported many a Scots and Scots-Irish, including my PGF, until such industries moved overseas. Accordingly, I will complete the survey this weekend with a thumbs-up for the journey thus far!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AnnieD; 12-10-2016 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Edit: Shrunk screen shot size.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AnnieD For This Useful Post:

Adrian Stevenson (12-10-2016),  Amerijoe (12-10-2016),  DebbieK (12-10-2016),  JMcB (12-10-2016),  laulei (12-10-2016),  rms2 (12-10-2016),  Scarlet Ibis (12-10-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British Isles, German
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    C-M217 -> C-CTS3385
    mtDNA (M)
    I1a1d

United Kingdom United States of America Germany Northern Ireland
    Thank you!! I have mostly Colonial Virginia and NC ancestry too, very similar to yours but with some recent irish and German. I really hope it gets released soon! :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jpb For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (12-10-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex

How cool, I'm excited :o

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cvolt For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (12-10-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT80854
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e2
    mtDNA (P)
    K1

England Scotland Ireland Germany Bayern Italy Two Sicilies France
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
    I guess that my genes are special to get in the sneak preview club! I suspect that ancestries like mine, albeit not fully documented that far back yet, were easier to do for American customers since both sides were fairly concentrated in the Southeast region of USA around Colonial times. I am curious what sources they used for the heritage histories as the U.S. census does not go back further than mid-1800's, I believe. In that regard, I am thrilled to have AncestryDNA do the research and share it with me at the push of a button.

I just returned to the site & see that my feedback on the Genetic Communities experience is requested via a survey button as well as a pop-up message from Lauren from AncestryDNA:

They nailed the research on the textiles and wood industries in North & South Carolina that supported many a Scots and Scots-Irish, including my PGF, until such industries moved overseas. Accordingly, I will complete the survey this weekend with a thumbs-up for the journey thus far!
    Hello AnnieD,

Just so you know, you can find U.S. Census records going back as far as 1790 in the south eastern United States. I've found ones for 1790, 1800 & 1820 on familysearch.org.
    Last edited by JMcB; 12-10-2016 at 06:29 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (12-10-2016)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Poland Germany Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Very interesting AnnieD, thank you for sharing this with us. On a tangent, I couldn't help but notice that it seems like you're also a person who's mostly Scottish on paper but only scored 5% on the Irish category. I got 6% and an overwhelming amount of GB like you did.. which I'm willing to bet is pretty far off for you too. I'm excited to see your living DNA results.
    Apologies for the mostly off topic comment!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (12-11-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    British Isles/NW Euro
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    H40a

Ireland England Netherlands Germany Palatinate
    Has anyone else been placed in a genetic community?

I was invited to see a preview of my genetic communities...only to find they had been unable to place me inside one. However, with more time and more data, they may be able to, etc., etc.
    That was a little surprising. Paternal Irish grandfather has ancestry from the area on the Clare/Galway border as far back as we can trace, and maternal grandfather is a descendant of a very static, endogamous population in upstate NY tracing their ancestry back to the Palatine emigration of the early 18th century.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to drouhin For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (12-25-2016)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly West European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (Father)
    mtDNA (M)
    H1J2A

Welcome to the sneak preview club! Are we a membership of 2 thus far? LOL! Where are all of the DNA critiques out there that love to tackle new DNA tests & their methodology? Maybe Genetic Communities is not as glamorous or exciting. Or maybe the beta stage is too American Colonial of British descent to interest the European sect.

In that regard, however, I'm very surprised that with regional Irish results such as yours that you would not be a slam-dunk for a Genetic Community at this time. I've tried googling the feature online and within the company's Q&A forum to no avail. I was curious if they had already attempted to expand it to Europe or other regions. Possibly the labels they are using preliminarily are too generic, e.g. "Genetic Community", "DNA Origins", "DNA Story", etc. to result in focused search results. However, I did my part in getting it green-lighted for public consumption by responding to their survey in a fairly detailed manner. I also suggested another region / ethnicity for inclusion based on my maternal line thus far.

I am extremely excited about the possibility of this feature along with the DNA Circles. As soon as I sign onto my account, I see vintage photos of potential cousins of cousins that have a purported DNA link, & sometimes proven paper trail link, to my origins. I've never seen some of these pictures from immediate family records. Sometimes I am working backwards from DNA to the paper trail on lines that did not practice genealogy (more Carpenters, Carters & Greens in my lines than less common McArthur, Hesters or Bethams, so every approach helps! Therefore, I am hopeful that it proves to be reliable and popular.

Quote Originally Posted by drouhin View Post
    Has anyone else been placed in a genetic community?

I was invited to see a preview of my genetic communities...only to find they had been unable to place me inside one. However, with more time and more data, they may be able to, etc., etc.
    That was a little surprising. Paternal Irish grandfather has ancestry from the area on the Clare/Galway border as far back as we can trace, and maternal grandfather is a descendant of a very static, endogamous population in upstate NY tracing their ancestry back to the Palatine emigration of the early 18th century.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Hester may have been Quaker. A female Hester married a Linville (Quaker line). Green is my maternal granddad that goes back to colonial Maryland. He fought in the Civil War. Carpenter as an inlaw-type connection, a down stream line of which could possibly connect to Joe Scarborough of "Morning Joe" renown (Mississippi Scarborough connection).
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 01-08-2017 at 04:34 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (01-04-2017)

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast