Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (Father)
    mtDNA (M)
    H1J2A

United States of America United Kingdom England Scotland Germany Belgium
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    Hester may have been Quaker. A female Hester married a Linville. Green is my maternal granddad that goes back to colonial Maryland. He fought in the Civil War. Carpenter as an inlaw-type connection, a down stream line of which could possibly connect to Joe Scarborough of "Morning Joe renown" (Mississippi connection).
    A Quaker in the family would be very cool! I went through a phase where I thought the Quaker faith was quite fascinating, and I read every Harmony novel by the author Philip Gulley, the reputed voice of small-town America. I still expect to find more Appalachian moonshine hillbillies on at least one side of the family tree than Quakers, however! Apparently, a related sect, the Shakers, are almost an endangered species as there are only 3 living members in Maine.

I received an email update from AncestryDNA after completing their survey on the new feature. They are promising more to come! Very exciting for those of us like Baltimore1937 who have British surnames like Green and Carpenter in our family tree, among the top 20 most common in Britain.
    Thank you for being part of AncestryDNA research.
    With your help—and that of more than a million others participating in the Ancestry Human Diversity Project—we are making progress in scientific research. From understanding human migration to studying how families are connected, you are part of something bigger and the research you are enabling can make a real difference.

This is just a reminder that you have agreed to participate and participation is voluntary. You can change your status by visiting your settings page and choosing Research Consent.

Stay tuned for potential new discoveries and updates to AncestryDNA® in the coming year.
    Last edited by AnnieD; 01-04-2017 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Fixed copy formatting-spacing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AnnieD For This Useful Post:

Riley (03-30-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    British Isles/NW Euro
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    H40a

Ireland England Netherlands Germany Palatinate
    Well, well, they are indeed adding communities AND they picked up my early NY Palatine ancestry:
    gencom.jpg

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drouhin For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (02-02-2017),  Don Felipe (02-01-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Can't wait

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cvolt For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (02-02-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly West European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (Father)
    mtDNA (M)
    H1J2A

United States of America United Kingdom England Scotland Germany Belgium
    Quote Originally Posted by drouhin View Post
    Well, well, they are indeed adding communities AND they picked up my early NY Palatine ancestry:
    Hooray! Very glad to see that Ancestry.com is foraging ahead with this experimental feature. It's also interesting to see their efforts in finding more micro-regional ethnicities such as the Palatine Germans in your results.

In the interim, I feel sorry for The Living DNA co. in trying to assign my regional ethnicities in Britain or elsewhere. I've just discovered that another ancestor that I was certain was from England, or at least somewhere in Britain, was probably from the Europe continent. Seeing Ancestry.com's spin on common immigrant groups in Colonial America makes it easier, IMO, to prove or disprove more difficult ancestries such as common or easily mis-spelled surnames.

P.S. Can't help but note the irony of the 'Land of Diversity and Tolerance' comment in regard to the Dutch in light of recent immigration news in USA. Much has changed in 200+ years, i.e. no longer just western Europe & Scandinavian settlers or Protestant vs. Catholic, etc., so the matter is quite a bit more complicated in today's world.
    Last edited by AnnieD; 02-02-2017 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Add comment.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AnnieD For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (03-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    British Isles/NW Euro
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    H40a

I feel the same way, AnnieD -- enthusiastic. It's an interesting feature in itself but also a helpful tool for the genealogist. They indicate which of your matches is also in the community, very helpful for me in identifying lines to focus on when looking for most recent common ancestors. They also list surnames associated with the community, useful when scanning pedigrees of matches. Size of community is interesting: around 45,000 for Settlers of Southeastern NY, meaning it includes around 1.5% of Ancestry's 3,000,000+ database of individuals.

More screenshots:
    gencom2.jpg

gencom3.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to drouhin For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (02-11-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    British Isles/NW Euro
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    H40a

@Annie, I'm curious: what size is the "Settlers of the North Carolina Foothills & Northwest South Carolina" community? Did they find associated surnames for this community too? With what confidence level are they assigning you to the community?

The more I play with this feature, the more I see its possibilities. I believe "Genetic Communities" would be of tremendous interest to adoptees. While I'm not an adoptee, I understand the interest in finding a connection with a place and a culture that adoptees with unknown ancestry must feel even more intensely. "Genetic Communities" is delivering exactly what we and they may be looking for: showing you your connection with peoples and places of the recent past. Judging by Annie's and my experiences, it's doing that accurately. We both have documented roots in these communities. I'm impressed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to drouhin For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (02-11-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L226/R-FGC12302
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1a1

England Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland European Union
    I received the preview today and it correctly picked up that my maternal family are Northern Irish.
    image upload no registration

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AntG For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (03-29-2017),  Amerijoe (02-09-2017),  drouhin (02-09-2017),  MacUalraig (02-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    British Isles/NW Euro
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    H40a

Nice! Can you tell us more about your connection? For instance, the confidence level assigned to your membership in the community, the size of the community, etc.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to drouhin For This Useful Post:

AntG (02-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L226/R-FGC12302
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1a1

Quote Originally Posted by drouhin View Post
    Nice! Can you tell us more about your connection? For instance, the confidence level assigned to your membership in the community, the size of the community, etc.
    Here are some more screenshots...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AntG For This Useful Post:

chelle (02-13-2017),  drouhin (02-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L226/R-FGC12302
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1a1

Also, if you pick one of the communities time period stories, it will show you migration patterns...
    [/url]
    Last edited by AntG; 02-11-2017 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Image edited

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AntG For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (02-12-2017),  drouhin (02-09-2017),  MacUalraig (02-13-2017)

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast