Gallo-Roman
    Nationality
    Québec
    Y-DNA
    R-L2>R-Z367>R-Z34
    mtDNA
    H5c

France Bretagne Normandie France Canada Quebec Acadia
    Viau, from the Latin name Vitalis. Saint Vitalis was a benedictine monk from what some historians think was Wales or England who came to Brittany in the 8'th century. His followers eventually adopted the name which morphed from Vitalis to Vital to Vial and eventually its current French form, Viau. Citizens of the town of Saint-Viaud in Brittany are called "Vitaliens". The name means "lively" or "full of life".

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ViauMtl For This Useful Post:

galon07 (06-14-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    J1c2p

Italy Two Sicilies England Sweden
    Italian

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-M223
    mtDNA
    T2b

England Scotland Germany Switzerland Italy Norway
    Funny story, I used to know someone who's surname was "German". I don't just mean the origins were from Germany, I mean her surname was the actual word "German" - so her name (first name changed) was "Jane German". She was an elderly lady and when she'd go to restaurants and they'd take her name for the waiting list, they'd ask "What's your name?" and of course she'd respond, "German." Well, being elderly, the host would suddenly think she was senile and that she was saying the origins of her surname were German. They'd turn on their patronizing voice and say, "No, no, ma'am, I mean your actual name, not where it's from?" And in her clearest, most competent voice, she'd respond, "I know exactly what my name is, thank you very much, it's Jane German."

Anyway, my maiden name is indeed German in origin, lol, as is my mother's maiden name. My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Italian, and my maternal grandmother's maiden name was Norwegian. So it's kind of weird that when you look at my tree going back as far as I can trace, there's actually more British branches than any others.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobinBMc For This Useful Post:

Bas (03-13-2018), JMcB (03-15-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Netherlands Mauritius Mozambique India Madagascar
    English as far as I know. My paternal line goes back to Gloucestershire.
    AncestryDNA - 75% European, 13% Asian, 10% African, 1% Native American, 1% Pacific Islander
    23andme - 78.4% European, 10.1% East Asian and Native American, 7.7% Subsaharan African, 3.2% South Asian, 0.2% North African, 0.1% Oceanian, 0.4% unassigned
    DNA.Land - 77% West Eurasian, 12% East Asian, 9.7% African, 1.9% Ambiguous
    DNA Tribes - 72.6% European, 10.4% Subsaharan African, 7.8% Asian, 7.1% South Asian, 2.1% Amerindian

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German-British-Catalan
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinBMc View Post
    Funny story, I used to know someone who's surname was "German". I don't just mean the origins were from Germany, I mean her surname was the actual word "German" - so her name (first name changed) was "Jane German". She was an elderly lady and when she'd go to restaurants and they'd take her name for the waiting list, they'd ask "What's your name?" and of course she'd respond, "German." Well, being elderly, the host would suddenly think she was senile and that she was saying the origins of her surname were German. They'd turn on their patronizing voice and say, "No, no, ma'am, I mean your actual name, not where it's from?" And in her clearest, most competent voice, she'd respond, "I know exactly what my name is, thank you very much, it's Jane German."

Anyway, my maiden name is indeed German in origin, lol, as is my mother's maiden name. My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Italian, and my maternal grandmother's maiden name was Norwegian. So it's kind of weird that when you look at my tree going back as far as I can trace, there's actually more British branches than any others.
    Well, notwithstanding the jokes about the name "English" in "Johnny English", it is an actual surname. So is French. So is Dutch. So is Greek (believe it or not). The truly funny part is that these are likely all English names. Or at least, they're names that were probably first acquired in an English-speaking setting.

But the odd part is that the surname "German" may not have anything to do with Germany. In fact, it may have originated in England or Ireland, and its roots are actually Norman French.

EDIT: This is not to say that it never is applied to anyone with origins in Germany, but during the British colonial period in America, the British would not have spoken of "Germans". They'd have called them "Dutch", which only later came to be restricted to people from Netherlands.

After the colonial period, there was less of a tendency to shift names to something that was a better "fit" in the new country. The name was more typically kept as given in the entry document, unless it was changed by the owner of the name. "Lazy bureaucrats" were responsible for far fewer name changes than many people think. More often, name changes were made by the holders of the name.

An example is my surname "Bookhammer". It traces back to Johan Buchhammer, who arrived in America from the German Palatine region in 1749. Or more accurately, it traces to Johan's sons. However, the surname in its original form "Buchhammer" can be found in the U.S. today, though for the most part it is traceable to people who did not arrive in the U.S. until the mid-19th century or later.
    Last edited by geebee; 03-14-2018 at 05:24 AM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & prob. Cherokee. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

FTDNA shows my hg as R-YP619*.

GB

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

JMcB (03-15-2018), Saetro (06-14-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    mtDNA
    x2

Anglo translation, originally Native American surname.
    Last edited by Rolling; 03-15-2018 at 11:48 PM. Reason: removed tribe, privacy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rolling For This Useful Post:

JMcB (03-15-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro+Levant
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1 (E-M35)
    mtDNA
    H

Bosnia and Herzegovina Italy Israel Spain England
    Bosnian (apparently originated in Montenegro).

Other surnames (paternal/maternal) are Italian, Spanish, Hebrew, English.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Noa For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (06-05-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA
    P312>DF19>DF88>S4268
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1e

United States of America Lebanon Germany England Belgium Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewsloth View Post
    I honestly don't know.
    It appears to be a Latinized patronymic form of the German Wilhelm, or maybe originally Vilhjelm, since all the oracle calculators seem to think Dad's ancient roots lie in Scandinavia somewhere?
    Since I don't know the family's origin before about 1700 (other than what the Y-DNA can tell), it's hard to tell which of the untold number of "William/Wilhelm/Vilhjelms" it refers to.
    Since writing the above 18 months ago, I've learned a bit more family history.

While the written surname changed twice in about 100 years, it seems to have originally been just plain "Wilhelm." At least that's what it was recorded as in the early 1600's.

No idea on specific origins, other than somewhere with Germanic ties. I've seen circumstantial evidence of unknown reliability hinting to either Swiss/Bavarian, Thuringian or Frankish. My MDKA was from what is now Hesse.
    R1b>M269>L23>L51>L11>P312>DF19>DF88>FGC11833 >S4281>S4268>Z17112 (S17075-)

Y-cousin: 6DRIF-23 (DF19>>Z17112+, S17075+)

Ancestors: Francis Cooke (M223/I2a2a) b1583; Hester Mahieu (Cooke) (J1c2 mtDNA) b.1584; Richard Warren (E-M35) b1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b1583;
    John Mead (I2a1/P37.2) b1634; Rev. Joseph Hull (I1, L1301+ L1302-) b1595; Benjamin Harrington (M223/I2a2a-Y5729) b1618; Joshua Griffith (L21>DF13) b1593;
    John Wing (U106) b1584; Hermann Wilhelm (DF19) b1635

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewsloth For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (06-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    Well, notwithstanding the jokes about the name "English" in "Johnny English", it is an actual surname. So is French. So is Dutch. So is Greek (believe it or not). The truly funny part is that these are likely all English names. Or at least, they're names that were probably first acquired in an English-speaking setting.

But the odd part is that the surname "German" may not have anything to do with Germany. In fact, it may have originated in England or Ireland, and its roots are actually Norman French.

EDIT: This is not to say that it never is applied to anyone with origins in Germany, but during the British colonial period in America, the British would not have spoken of "Germans". They'd have called them "Dutch", which only later came to be restricted to people from Netherlands.

After the colonial period, there was less of a tendency to shift names to something that was a better "fit" in the new country. The name was more typically kept as given in the entry document, unless it was changed by the owner of the name. "Lazy bureaucrats" were responsible for far fewer name changes than many people think. More often, name changes were made by the holders of the name.

An example is my surname "Bookhammer". It traces back to Johan Buchhammer, who arrived in America from the German Palatine region in 1749. Or more accurately, it traces to Johan's sons. However, the surname in its original form "Buchhammer" can be found in the U.S. today, though for the most part it is traceable to people who did not arrive in the U.S. until the mid-19th century or later.
    Common nationality-based surname is, of course, Walsh, which means Welsh and is most common in Ireland (and also common in the US, of course).

I have an ancestor from France whose surname was Langlais. Don't know if that had some English connection way back.

An English German may have started as a Germain, which I think is a more common name.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (06-04-2018)

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast