Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get geno 2 if I'll get Big Y later?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    O1b2a1a2a1-CTS723
    mtDNA (M)
    D5a2a1b*

Get geno 2 if I'll get Big Y later?

Hi should I get Geno 2 if I plan on getting Big Y?
    Thanks

Registered Users
    Sex

Have you had an STR test at FTDNA? Have you had a Family Finder test with FTDNA?

A BigY test will test a lot more than all of the SNPs that Geno 2.0 tests so you would just be spending extra for a lower resolution Y-DNA test with Geno 2.0. The reason that I ask about the STR test at FTDNA is because you need one before getting a BigY test.

The Geno 2.0 autosomal test uses the same calculator as the Family Finder test which you can get for $59 until the end of the sale today. If you get Geno 2.0 and want an upgrade from Geno 2.0 to Family Finder for matching and a file that you can use with Gedmatch then you have to pay extra. The mtDNA doesn't have matching either without an upgrade with FTDNA.
    Last edited by ArmandoR1b; 12-31-2016 at 05:52 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmandoR1b For This Useful Post:

Oleg (Rus) (01-15-2017),  rms2 (12-31-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British-Scandinavian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a

England Denmark Wales Scotland Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Hando View Post
    Hi should I get Geno 2 if I plan on getting Big Y?
    Thanks
    Absolutely not.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    O1b2a1a2a1-CTS723
    mtDNA (M)
    D5a2a1b*

Thanks guys. No I haven't done either the STR or the family
    Finder tests. Are there any holidays specials for both? Also, should I do both before I even think of doing the Big Y? I won't do Geno 2. Thanks

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Hando View Post
    Thanks guys. No I haven't done either the STR or the family
    Finder tests. Are there any holidays specials for both? Also, should I do both before I even think of doing the Big Y? I won't do Geno 2. Thanks
    You have to get a Y12, Y37, Y67, or Y111 before you ever have the option of the BigY. There is a sale that ends in less than 11 hours from now and there are coupons you can use with the sale price to bring the price down even more. The coupons are at this link.

You have to make the choice if you want the Family Finder test or not.

Gold Class Member
    Sex

[QUOTE=Hando;206018Are there any holidays specials for both? Also, should I do both before I even think of doing the Big Y?[/QUOTE]
    Family Finder is so inexpensive during this discount sale that it's difficult to turn down.
    I would suggest Y-DNA37 + Family Finder, for $188 + $13 shipping - $20 coupon = $181.

The cheapest option which still gives you the ability to order the Big Y later is Y-DNA12 for $59 + $13 shipping. Y-DNA12 can only be ordered through a project order page.
    Last edited by lgmayka; 12-31-2016 at 08:23 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

Hando (12-31-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L20
    mtDNA (M)
    k1a4a1

Geno 2.0 would get you your mtDNA haplogroup too. Also while the results for ancestry seem to be the same as MyOrigins for now (other than for one person who insists they got very different results) it might change in the future and, for now, MyOrigins just tosses raw results for ancestry with zero context while Geno 2.0 NG gives you many reference samples so you have a much better idea what to make of the results. Maybe you don't care, but they also give a very nice presentation for the Y haplogroup results as well and give you a nice step by step walk out from Africa, so it's not a bad place to start before adding extras from FTDNA. One problem is that they seem to have recent;y stopped using FTDNA for their US customers though so if you are from the U.S. you can no longer transfer into the FF database or download your RAW data (at least for now). If you took the test before or if you take it now outside of the U.S. then you can transfer over. The transfer costs $30 although they seem to give a $30 off for the YSTR37 which you need to take before taking BigY. (between regular holiday discount, that $30 off and a big holiday coupon my dad got the STR37 for $89).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wombatofthenorth For This Useful Post:

Hando (01-02-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

The mtDNA test by Geno 2.0 is not the full mtDNA and does not provide matching without an upgrade at FTDNA so the mtDNA test by Geno 2.0 is almost worthless.

The presentation of the walk out of Africa is based on speculation. Anyone that reads this all of the threads at this forum and the scientific studies that are mentioned in the thread has no need for the presentation.

It's a good thing that Hando never went with Geno 2.0 since it does not provide much value. The Y37 test that he has already had, but forgot about, was less of a reason to get Geno 2.0 since he already plans of getting BigY. BigY tests all of the SNPs that Geno 2.0 does,it doesn't have the false positive problem that Geno 2.o has, it discovers SNPs which Geno 2.0 doesn't do at all, and it provides a TMRCA once a YFull analysis is purchased. Everything about BigY renders the Y-DNA testing by Geno 2.0 completely useless.

You get what you pay for with Geno 2.0. It's a lower priced product but it is extremely inferior to what FTDNA offers.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmandoR1b View Post
    The mtDNA test by Geno 2.0 is not the full mtDNA and does not provide matching without an upgrade at FTDNA so the mtDNA test by Geno 2.0 is almost worthless.

The presentation of the walk out of Africa is based on speculation. Anyone that reads this all of the threads at this forum and the scientific studies that are mentioned in the thread has no need for the presentation.

It's a good thing that Hando never went with Geno 2.0 since it does not provide much value. The Y37 test that he has already had, but forgot about, was less of a reason to get Geno 2.0 since he already plans of getting BigY. BigY tests all of the SNPs that Geno 2.0 does,it doesn't have the false positive problem that Geno 2.o has, it discovers SNPs which Geno 2.0 doesn't do at all, and it provides a TMRCA once a YFull analysis is purchased. Everything about BigY renders the Y-DNA testing by Geno 2.0 completely useless.

You get what you pay for with Geno 2.0. It's a lower priced product but it is extremely inferior to what FTDNA offers.
    What you say did not happen for me

Firstly , NatGeno2 is still the only company that correctly designated my Mtdna and Ydna is one session

and

My recent BigY ............did not give me any Mtdna nor sending it to Yfull

My Ftdna Mtdna tests .........all .........only produced haplogroup H ..................only the ftdna project teams found my H95a

Value is another matter , but is value good to pursue when the results are lacking!

my sister did the new natgeno2 about 2 months .............it looks poorer than mine , but they still found her correct mtdna

this is what she got:

My Maternal Lineage Began About 150,000 Years Ago.

My maternal ancestors carried farming culture from the region of the Fertile Crescent into Europe. This revolutionized not only the way food was grown but introduced a shift from a nomadic lifestyle to a settled one. Changes to tools, pottery, and weapons may not otherwise have been possible. Thus, my cousins have played an important role in the history of the Fertile Crescent region and of Europe.
    My maternal branch is H95a
    Last edited by vettor; 01-02-2017 at 05:35 PM.

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483 )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-Y33791 ydna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtdna

13. The Following User Says Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

wombatofthenorth (01-03-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by vettor View Post
    What you say did not happen for me
    You obviously misunderstood what I wrote. Read below.

Firstly , NatGeno2 is still the only company that correctly designated my Mtdna and Ydna is one session
    First off, so what. NatGeno2 did not test all of the SNPs that BigY tested for you and it does not do SNP discovery leaving out the need for future Y-DNA testing except for maybe a rare SNP needed a nested primer which can't be tested by the technology that NatGeno2 uses anyway. You also did not get NatGeno2 NextGen. You got the previous test. The NatGeno2 NextGen has a lot of false positives that put a lot of people in the wrong subclade sometimes even into the wrong haplgroup and it gets worse with a transfer to FTDNA because they have no idea how to handle the false positives. You also did not get a Full mtDNA test with NatGeno2. Some people have mutations that are important enough that are not tested by NatGeno2 and you don't even get mtDNA matching without an upgrade.

and

My recent BigY ............did not give me any Mtdna nor sending it to Yfull
    I never said that BigY tests mtDNA. You need to reread my previous posts.

My Ftdna Mtdna tests .........all .........only produced haplogroup H ..................only the ftdna project teams found my H95a
    What you don't understand is that individual situations don't prove or disprove something being good or bad. If you compare two products and one costs less but has a 10% higher failure rate within 3 years are you going to go with the product that has a higher failure rate or are you going to pay more for the better product. The product with a higher failure rate is going to have a lot of people like you saying that their product still works fine after 3 years.

Value is another matter , but is value good to pursue when the results are lacking!
    Results aren't lacking when everybody is taken into consideration and also what can be done with the results. Do you not understand that each situation is different?

my sister did the new natgeno2 about 2 months .............it looks poorer than mine , but they still found her correct mtdna

this is what she got:

My Maternal Lineage Began About 150,000 Years Ago.

My maternal ancestors carried farming culture from the region of the Fertile Crescent into Europe. This revolutionized not only the way food was grown but introduced a shift from a nomadic lifestyle to a settled one. Changes to tools, pottery, and weapons may not otherwise have been possible. Thus, my cousins have played an important role in the history of the Fertile Crescent region and of Europe.
    My maternal branch is H95a
    How does that help in any way? We all know that mtDNA H came from the Fertile Crescent and you can download the estimated date of the mutation or one closest to it with Behar et al. along with the upstream subclades and haplogroup.
    Last edited by ArmandoR1b; 01-02-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast