Intersex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British

England Cornwall United Kingdom Scotland Ireland Munster Canada

Ancestry vs 23&me vs FTDNA

This has probably been asked already.

But I got this kit from a friend over Christmas. I put it aside due to the fact that ancestry.com does not necessarily have the best rep. And their customer service personally sounds like the pits of the pits.

However, am curious. How would others rank ancestry.com versus 23&me and FTDNA? I've done the other two.

I am particularly interested in the client base. Anything of worth for British heritage & finding relatives? What of the ethnicity breakdown?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLightbridge View Post
    This has probably been asked already.

But I got this kit from a friend over Christmas. I put it aside due to the fact that ancestry.com does not necessarily have the best rep. And their customer service personally sounds like the pits of the pits.

However, am curious. How would others rank ancestry.com versus 23&me and FTDNA? I've done the other two.

I am particularly interested in the client base. Anything of worth for British heritage & finding relatives? What of the ethnicity breakdown?
    With Ancestry your matches can put a place of residence/birth on their profile. Most of course don't but I have several dozen who I now know live in England, plus a smaller number (as one would expect) living in Scotland. List of residences in my matches now is AUS, CAN, ENG, GER, IRE, JAP, NZ, PAN, SCO, UK, USA, WAL. I wish more people would fill this field in as it would be very helpful.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A------ (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (01-12-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Intersex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British

Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    With Ancestry your matches can put a place of residence/birth on their profile. Most of course don't but I have several dozen who I now know live in England, plus a smaller number (as one would expect) living in Scotland. List of residences in my matches now is AUS, CAN, ENG, GER, IRE, JAP, NZ, PAN, SCO, UK, USA, WAL. I wish more people would fill this field in as it would be very helpful.
    Sounds helpful certainly.

But I more meant British relatives. I don't have many relatives on 23&me and FTDNA because the client base is widely American / colonist and most are distant.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L226/R-FGC12302
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1a1

England Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland European Union
    I can't back this up but I've read that Ancestry is the most popular in Great Britain but FTDNA in Ireland...
    Obviously home DNA testing hasn't been out as long in the British Isles as in the US which probably explains my lack of good matches so far.
    Last edited by AntG; 01-12-2017 at 12:19 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AntG For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (01-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Do you mean for autosomal? FTDNA are big hitters in the Y but they are minnows in the autosomal game. It can be difficult to get independent data on this though. I only have I think two proven Irish autosomal matches but I wouldn't really expect any anyway given that its only effective back to say early 1800s. Unless one of the Belfast Hamiltons comes up trumps :-)
    Last edited by MacUalraig; 01-12-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A------ (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (01-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2
    mtDNA (M)
    K2a5

I've done Ancestry and FTDNA so here's what I think (I'm American btw): I did dna testing mainly for an ethnicity breakdown and tested with Ancestry first. I was quickly disappointed with the "percentages" of each ethnicity I was given, it just didn't seem possible. After using the raw data on Gedmatch, I realized Ancestry did a good job of finding my ethnic groups but terrible with the proportions. So that's where my value was at, the raw data. Ftdna gave very similar results to my Ancestry breakdown but I found the proportions to be more in line with my gedmatch results (I know a lot of people aren't fans of Ftdna's ethnicity test though). As for the family finder, that's where I feel Ancestry's value is at. I'd rather have tested with 23 and Me because I believe they're more accurate and specific with your origins, and at the end of the day I could use Gedmatch to see who I match with on a larger scale.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cvolt For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (01-12-2017),  AnnieD (01-14-2017),  sktibo (01-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by AntG View Post
    I can't back this up but I've read that Ancestry is the most popular in Great Britain but FTDNA in Ireland...
    Obviously home DNA testing hasn't been out as long in the British Isles as in the US which probably explains my lack of good matches so far.
    I have several Ancestry matches from around your area which if they are true positives probably are connected with my ggm from Staffs (Tipton area).
    Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

AntG (01-12-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Slavic Jew
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V12* Egyptian
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a Semitic

Italy Poland Germany Palatinate Israel
    I've tested with both Ancestry, and FTDNA. I thought FTDNA ethnic breakdown was bad, I was wrong. Ancestry's takes the cake. It's terrible. As far as matching, I somehow only have 20k matching segments on my ancestry kit at Gedmatch. My FTDNA kit has 60k matching segments at Gedmatch. I have also tested my mom. My Ancestry kit is missing tons of matches that myself and my mom match. I'd go with FTDNA just based on raw data alone.

Banned
    Sex
    Intersex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British

I am talking autosomal matches. If Ancestry.com is anything like FTDNA and 23&me I will have few matches as it is and most distant American cousins.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L226/R-FGC12302
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1a1

England Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    I have several Ancestry matches from around your area which if they are true positives probably are connected with my ggm from Staffs (Tipton area).
    Yes, I know of Tipton. I have no known genealogical connection with the Midlands. My maternal family come from Belfast and Y-DNA is Irish Type III. I'm curious if the LivingDNA test I'm awaiting will show any English at all, as unlike the big three, it claims to be able to break down the UK in to 21 regions.
    Last edited by AntG; 01-12-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast