Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: GED Match and DNA land: Uttar Pradesh,Bihari and Bengali DNA?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sikh Ramgarhia
    Nationality
    Canadian
    mtDNA (M)
    M3a2
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Y2568*

India Punjab Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by deuterium_1 View Post
    I looked at my raw DNA file and I test positive for the SNP rs2470102 and rs1426654 which is apparently linked with light skin pigmentation. My mum is fair skinned as is her father, this is unsurprising since people have remarked on it in the past including one former housemate when I moved out of London to study. I am guessing that it is linked with West Eurasian ancestry as people have remarked on it in countries such as Spain and Italy too.
    Yea a lot of SA test positive for these SNPs, contribution of both steppe as well as ANF.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

Punjab, Punjabi, Fateh.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

deuterium_1 (08-11-2019),  FrostAssassin0701 (08-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1

India Pakistan United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    Yea a lot of SA test positive for these SNPs, contribution of both steppe as well as ANF.
    Apparently when I was born, my great grandmother was happy about my fair skin complexion. It is ingrained in our culture.

Could it be more broadly be categorised as deriving from West Eurasian ancestry?. Apparently my mum's Dada was also light skinned and considering that my nana has the SNP that I described, it is now possible to know where it came from.

I do wish South Asian families were better educated about this though to be honest.
    Last edited by deuterium_1; 08-11-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Brahmin (mixed)
    Nationality
    Indian
    mtDNA (M)
    M-30
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-1A (Z-93)

Apparently when I was born, my great grandmother was happy about my fair skin complexion, it is ingrained in our culture.

Could it be more broadly be categorised as deriving from West Eurasian ancestry?. Apparently my mum's Dada was also light skinned and considering that my nana has the SNP that I described, it is now possible to know where it came from.

I do wish South Asian families were better educated about this though to be honest.
    Continue this in the pheno thread. There's so many factors in skin color from a genotype standpoint. I don't think a shared SNP is the reason, rather a collection of SNP's that we may or may not be aware of.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 26284729292 For This Useful Post:

FrostAssassin0701 (08-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1

Quote Originally Posted by 26284729292 View Post
    Continue this in the pheno thread. There's so many factors in skin color from a genotype standpoint. I don't think a shared SNP is the reason, rather a collection of SNP's that we may or may not be aware of.
    I agree, I just thought that it is interesting since our culture is so obsessed with fair skin and it has recently been in the news with the recent description of Kashmiri women as "gori ladki" by a Haryanvi politician

Endogamy probably has a role to play too? since my mum's family are heavily inbred and I am sure that it reduces genetic diversity for sure.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Brahmin (mixed)
    Nationality
    Indian
    mtDNA (M)
    M-30
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-1A (Z-93)

I agree, I just thought that it is interesting since our culture is so obsessed with fair skin and it has recently been in the news with the recent description of Kashmiri women as "gori ladki" by a Haryanvi politician

Endogamy probably has a role to play too? since my mum's family are heavily inbred and I am sure that it reduces genetic diversity for sure.
    Believe me, my extended family is no different. We can take this to the pheno thread, if you'd like to discuss further.

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    M30
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1a1/R-L295

My cousin whose mother is of Syed and Mughal descent and whose father is my grandma's nephew got her DNA results on MyHeritage, this is it so far:

Asia
    86.5%

South Asia
    83.8%

Central Asia
    2.7%

America
    1.7%

Mesoamerican and Andean
    1.7%

Europe
    11.8%

East Europe (East European)
    7.7%

North and West Europe
    4.1%

Irish, Scottish, and Welsh

4.1%

Seems quite typical of a South Asian? her mother migrated from Haryana so I expected increased steppe DNA.

She doesn't have access to a PC yet so I will wait for her GED match results, it would be interesting to see her Geneplaza results too.
    could you post the harappa results?

Bronze Class Member
    Sex

Siberian Tatars Tajikistan
    My cousin whose mother is of Syed and Mughal descent and whose father is my grandma's nephew got her DNA results on MyHeritage, this is it so far:

Asia
    86.5%

South Asia
    83.8%

Central Asia
    2.7%

America
    1.7%

Mesoamerican and Andean
    1.7%

Europe
    11.8%

East Europe (East European)
    7.7%

North and West Europe
    4.1%

Irish, Scottish, and Welsh

4.1%

Seems quite typical of a South Asian? her mother migrated from Haryana so I expected increased steppe DNA.

She doesn't have access to a PC yet so I will wait for her GED match results, it would be interesting to see her Geneplaza results too.
    Going off those results alone, yes very typical. Most likely upper caste though.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1

Quote Originally Posted by 26284729292 View Post
    Believe me, my extended family is no different. We can take this to the pheno thread, if you'd like to discuss further.
    Oh ok no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
    could you post the harappa results?
    My cousin is doing a work placement and has been very busy.

I will try to ask her to upload her raw DNA to GED match.

Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    Going off those results alone, yes very typical. Most likely upper caste though.
    Yeah and her mother is from Haryana so I would imagine an increase in West-Eurasian derived admixture which is logical as one goes west. Haryana was formerly part of Punjab, do Haryanvis cluster genetically with Punjabis?.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to deuterium_1 For This Useful Post:

bmoney (08-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    U2c
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b2a1a1

I looked at my raw DNA file and I test positive for the SNP rs2470102 and rs1426654 which is apparently linked with light skin pigmentation. My mum is fair skinned as is her father, this is unsurprising since people have remarked on it in the past including one former housemate when I moved out of London to study. I am guessing that it is linked with West Eurasian ancestry as people have remarked on it in countries such as Spain and Italy too.
    Don't all South Asians test positive for those two? It's positive in my family as well as my cousin's family including the ones that are not light skinned.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Indian
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b1a1

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasP View Post
    Don't all South Asians test positive for those two? It's positive in my family as well as my cousin's family including the ones that are not light skinned.
    Well the northern part of India and Pakistan was tested in the paper I mentioned

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast