Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Scotland and the KKK

Fascinating program on BBC4 last night about connections between the KKK and Scotland. It turns out, and I'm surprised I'd overlooked this before (or had forgotten) that it was an Ulster Scot Kennedy who came up with the name and one of his founding colleagues was a McCord. Those who follow M222 may spot the connection here since these two names are both from Carrick and appear together under A223 on the M222 SNP tree!

Right at the end Neil Oliver did the inevitable interview with a white supremacist who starting going on about how he was defending his blood and genetics! The historical accuracy was spoilt a bit though when Oliver started bemoaning Kennedy and McCord misappropriating the poetry of Burns - since the latter's proposed job on a sugar plantation is quite well documented

https://burnsmuseum.wordpress.com/ca...e-slave-trade/

Link to the Beeb prog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...d-and-the-klan
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A------ (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

LEIF (01-24-2017),  [email protected] (01-24-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    A few.
    Nationality
    A few.
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-P109/R-Z284

United States of America England North of England Isle of Man Norway Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    The historical accuracy was spoilt a bit though when Oliver started bemoaning Kennedy and McCord misappropriating the poetry of Burns - since the latter's proposed job on a sugar plantation is quite well documented
    But to be fair, Burns almost took that book-keeper position in 1786, almost a decade before penning the rather famous and egalitarianistic "A Man's a Man for A' That" which Oliver cites as a testament to Burns more liberal worldview. Not only can a lot of personal change and enlightenment take place within a decade, but one's willingness to work on a plantation does not necessarily mean that one actively hated and despised enslaved Africans, which the Ku Klux Klan most certainly did. Does an accountant who considers working at a sweatshop in Cambodia necessarily think ill of those employed there? It could very well be that one is ignorant of their plight or just more concerned with maintaining his own livelihood by any means necessary, which could certainly imply selfishness or self-centeredness and perhaps a latent or passive tolerance of bigotry for sake of self preservation. My point is that there was nothing passive about the KKK's intent to harm and disenfranchise blacks which I think it seems fair to suggest, like Oliver does, that it's a position Burns would not have endorsed. In that sense, I think the KKK's usage of his work can count as a degree of misappropriation, if not flat out.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LEIF For This Useful Post:

gstockman (09-12-2017),  MacUalraig (01-24-2017)