Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Syed DNA

Sex

Syed DNA

I tested myself recently, and got these results.
    Capture.PNG
    Central/South Asian (79%) (South Asia - 41%, Central Asia - 38%)
    European (10%) (British Isles - 7%, Finland and Northern Siberia - 3%)
    Middle Eastern (6%) (Asia Minor - 6%)
    East Asian (6%) (Southeast Asia - 6%)

I was born in Pakistan, but I am from a Syed family. Syed = a descendant of Muhammad through Ali and Fatima. I am a Rizvi Syed, my family migrated from Mashhad to Halour in India, and then lived in the Uttar Pradesh region area for some time. Before the partition of India, my family were mainly in a place near Agra called Shah Ganj. After the partition, the majority moved to Karachi.

3 out of 4 of my grandparents are also Syed, only one is a non Syed, from the Punjab region.I was expecting myself to be a large proportion Persian/Middle Eastern, since Syeds moved to Mashhad and mixed there. After that, they moved to India, but didn't really mix with the local population, this makes me think that the original Arab blood got diluted after mixing with Persians for so long. I am a little surprised that I got 41% South Asian, but when I think about it, it is very possible that someone up the line mixed with a non Syed against the usual trend.

What surprises me the most is European, I don't quite understand whereI got 7% British Isles from. I suspect it could be from my non Syed grandparent, but I'm not sure. I am planning to test my fully Syed mother to see where I got European from.

I am curious to know what other Syed results are like and discuss how we get certain admixtures.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to hussain.r97 For This Useful Post:

AJL (03-05-2017),  kikkk (01-30-2017),  Lupriac (10-14-2018),  MonkeyDLuffy (03-05-2017),  redifflal (03-05-2017),  Reza (01-31-2017),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (02-01-2017),  Zayd (03-16-2017)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657
    mtDNA (M)
    M4b1

Welcome to the forum Hussain!

What's your y-dna haplogroup?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Reza For This Useful Post:

sgdavies@hotmail.com (02-01-2017)

Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    Welcome to the forum Hussain!

What's your y-dna haplogroup?
    Haven't done a y-dna test yet. I have only done the autosomal one. Do you recommend doing a y-dna test too? I was thinking of it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hussain.r97 For This Useful Post:

Smilelover (02-13-2017)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657
    mtDNA (M)
    M4b1

I believe if you run your data through wegene, you may get an indication of what your y-dna haplogroup may be. It can be inaccurate for mtdna.

Your y-dna is far more relevant regarding syed lineage than an autosomal test. Others have far more to say on the matter, and are discussing in another thread, but whilst there is no confirmation what a 'true' syed y-dna haplogroup may be (certain subclades of J1 being most likely), you can pretty much exclude it if you end up with the more common subcontinental haplogroups.

Incidentally, have you run any other admixture calculators from Gedmatch? Post the results here if you fancy.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, are you sunni or shia by background?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reza For This Useful Post:

AJL (03-05-2017),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (02-01-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L20
    mtDNA (M)
    k1a4a1

I believe if you run your data through wegene, you may get an indication of what your y-dna haplogroup may be. It can be inaccurate for mtdna.

Your y-dna is far more relevant regarding syed lineage than an autosomal test. Others have far more to say on the matter, and are discussing in another thread, but whilst there is no confirmation what a 'true' syed y-dna haplogroup may be (certain subclades of J1 being most likely), you can pretty much exclude it if you end up with the more common subcontinental haplogroups.

Incidentally, have you run any other admixture calculators from Gedmatch? Post the results here if you fancy.

How could wegene get mtDNA haplogroup guess when FF doesn't even test the mtDNA whatsoever at all? (I'm not even sure if they test any Y SNPs although perhaps they test a few????)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wombatofthenorth For This Useful Post:

Reza (02-01-2017),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (02-01-2017)

Sex

The wegene website has no option to upload FTDNA results I've used the Gedmatch calculators, and will post the results here soon.

I am Shia by background.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hussain.r97 For This Useful Post:

AJL (03-05-2017),  Reza (02-01-2017),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (02-01-2017)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657
    mtDNA (M)
    M4b1

My mistake, I had confused ftdna with ancestry dna.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German/Italian/Slovenian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2
    mtDNA (M)
    U2e2a1a

United States of America Germany Slovenia Italy
    I am pretty sure that there is some software to get your Y-SNPs from family finder raw data.
    Paternal Line: Rhineland Germany (J2-Z387) - Confirmed
    Maternal Grandfather - (Škofja Loka, Slovenia) - R1a1 - Y2613 - Confirmed
    Paternal G-Grandfather - Germany - R1b - U106 - Confirmed
    Maternal G-Grandfather - Briano, Caserta, Italy - Possible R1b - L51

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Indian/Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1 P25+
    mtDNA (M)
    M4'67

India Pakistan Bangladesh United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by hussain.r97 View Post
    I tested myself recently, and got these results.
    Capture.PNG
    Central/South Asian (79%) (South Asia - 41%, Central Asia - 38%)
    European (10%) (British Isles - 7%, Finland and Northern Siberia - 3%)
    Middle Eastern (6%) (Asia Minor - 6%)
    East Asian (6%) (Southeast Asia - 6%)

I was born in Pakistan, but I am from a Syed family. Syed = a descendant of Muhammad through Ali and Fatima. I am a Rizvi Syed, my family migrated from Mashhad to Halour in India, and then lived in the Uttar Pradesh region area for some time. Before the partition of India, my family were mainly in a place near Agra called Shah Ganj. After the partition, the majority moved to Karachi.

3 out of 4 of my grandparents are also Syed, only one is a non Syed, from the Punjab region.I was expecting myself to be a large proportion Persian/Middle Eastern, since Syeds moved to Mashhad and mixed there. After that, they moved to India, but didn't really mix with the local population, this makes me think that the original Arab blood got diluted after mixing with Persians for so long. I am a little surprised that I got 41% South Asian, but when I think about it, it is very possible that someone up the line mixed with a non Syed against the usual trend.

What surprises me the most is European, I don't quite understand whereI got 7% British Isles from. I suspect it could be from my non Syed grandparent, but I'm not sure. I am planning to test my fully Syed mother to see where I got European from.

I am curious to know what other Syed results are like and discuss how we get certain admixtures.
    Hello Hussain

Former Syed here, also a Raza (I turned out to be Y-dna R1b which makes more sense since we are said to descend paternally from Turkic king in India as well). Glad another Indo-Pak Shia is doing this due to how mixed many of us can be! Would love to see more data come in, thanks for sharing your info. Please be sure to start a GEDmatch account and upload your data.

You will have to get your y-dna done at FTDNA to know if you are likely a candidate to be a Syed. J1c3d is a candidate to be the haplogroup Quraysh belong to among others (which is not native to India and comes from Middle East).

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockman For This Useful Post:

hussain.r97 (02-10-2017),  redifflal (03-05-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2961>ZZ30>ZP106
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1c1

United States of America United States Tree Flag Bermuda United Kingdom France Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward J View Post
    I am pretty sure that there is some software to get your Y-SNPs from family finder raw data.
    That is true with Ancestry and 23andme data files. I think you mean GENO data, which would also contain SNPs from atDNA, mtDNA & Y-DNA.
    dp :-)
    Grace and good eure and long prosperitee. [Lydg. Mum. Goldsmiths]

ysearch/mitosearch id: atr94 GENBANK/ENA mtDNA id: KF703542 member ISOGG

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dp For This Useful Post:

AJL (03-05-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast