Page 138 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1635

Thread: Living DNA Results

  1. #1371
    Junior Member
    Posts
    2
    Sex

    This will be my first time testing, based on genealogical research (and physical traits) I am expecting a significant amount of German and Scottish/Northern Irish. There is the proverbial American oral tradition in my family of little bit of Native American, my grandmother looked like she could have been a 1/4 at most and her mother also has the looks, I just want to know one way or the other, and if not, where her olive complexion and dark hair may have come from if not Native American.

    It looks like Living DNA or 23andMe would be good for my European genes, what would be recommended as A) my best choice overall were I to do just one and b)the best choice for Native American groups?

    Any advice appreciated.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tarzan For This Useful Post:

     JonikW (01-26-2018)

  3. #1372
    Registered Users
    Posts
    112
    Sex
    Location
    Canada
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Typical Canadian Mutt
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 -> FGC34856
    mtDNA
    J1c2e

    Ireland Ukraine England France Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    This will be my first time testing, based on genealogical research (and physical traits) I am expecting a significant amount of German and Scottish/Northern Irish. There is the proverbial American oral tradition in my family of little bit of Native American, my grandmother looked like she could have been a 1/4 at most and her mother also has the looks, I just want to know one way or the other, and if not, where her olive complexion and dark hair may have come from if not Native American.

    It looks like Living DNA or 23andMe would be good for my European genes, what would be recommended as A) my best choice overall were I to do just one and b)the best choice for Native American groups?

    Any advice appreciated.
    Its all about the size of the reference population, IMO. And last time I checked 23andme had not quite 10,000 people in theirs, far and away the biggest reference of the big-3 (AncestryDNA, 23andme, FTDNA). If you only could go with one, 23andme is it. It also gives you the most recent Ancestry of the others; something like 500 years or so in the past. Ancestry's is definitely more than 1000 years (as they state), and who knows about FamilyTreeDNA. Finally, 23andme gives you maternal and paternal haplogroup info, way, way better than FamilyTreeDNA's Y-str tests, but not quite the resolution of LivingDNA's Y and mtDNA haplogroup info.

    I also have been particularly impressed with LivingDNA's results: you get the deepest haplogroup estimate on both your maternal and paternal sides, and very detailed breakdown of your British ancestry (it seemed to tell the correct story of where my English grandmother and her ancestors were from). Its definitely european-centric and I don't know how good it is at spotting other non-european ethnicities. I know you said you're looking for native american traces too, so I'd better let others reading this thread chime in on this.
    Mum = 50% Irish, 50% Ukrainian
    Dad = 40% French-Canadian, 10% Irish, 50% English
    Big Y + YTree.net = R M269 -> DF27 -> Z195 -> FGC34881 -> FGC34865 (SW France; ~500 ybp)
    FTDNA mtDNA Full Sequence = J1c2e
    Most Distant Known Ancestor = Jean Moreau b. 1630s Parthenay, Deux-Sèvres, France
    Surnames = Welch, Chibry, Moreau, Todd, Anderson, Bedford, Joncas, Basaraba

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fostert For This Useful Post:

     JonikW (01-26-2018), Robert1 (01-25-2018)

  5. #1373
    Registered Users
    Posts
    226
    Sex
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-M223
    mtDNA
    T2b

    England Scotland Germany Switzerland Italy Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post
    Its all about the size of the reference population, IMO. And last time I checked 23andme had not quite 10,000 people in theirs, far and away the biggest reference of the big-3 (AncestryDNA, 23andme, FTDNA). If you only could go with one, 23andme is it.
    I think it also depends on which populations have the most numbers and whether those are populations you have ancestry in. If most of those samples are in European regions, for example, and only few are from Asia, then their report may not be very good for Asian people (I thought I read somewhere on here that this was the case for 23andMe).

    Also, Geno 2.0 seems to be saying they have at least 75,000 in their reference populations? https://genographic.nationalgeograph...or-scientists/

    It also gives you the most recent Ancestry of the others; something like 500 years or so in the past. Ancestry's is definitely more than 1000 years (as they state), and who knows about FamilyTreeDNA.
    I don't think it's that precise. 23andMe at one point actually say "at least 500 years ago" so it could, and probably does, go back even further: https://www.23andme.com/ancestry-composition-guide/

    "Our reference datasets include genomes from 10,418 people who were carefully chosen to reflect populations that existed before transcontinental travel and migration were common (at least 500 years ago)."

    Finally, 23andme gives you maternal and paternal haplogroup info, way, way better than FamilyTreeDNA's Y-str tests, but not quite the resolution of LivingDNA's Y and mtDNA haplogroup info.
    Why is it better than FTDNA's Y-DNA tests? I thought 23andMe used much less DNA to determine haplogroups than FTDNA?

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobinBMc For This Useful Post:

     FionnSneachta (01-25-2018), JonikW (01-26-2018), jshook (01-25-2018), Robert1 (01-25-2018)

  7. #1374
    Registered Users
    Posts
    521
    Sex
    Location
    Kent
    Ethnicity
    British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I1 Z140+ A21901+
    mtDNA
    V

    Wales England Cornwall Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post
    Its all about the size of the reference population, IMO. And last time I checked 23andme had not quite 10,000 people in theirs, far and away the biggest reference of the big-3 (AncestryDNA, 23andme, FTDNA). If you only could go with one, 23andme is it. It also gives you the most recent Ancestry of the others; something like 500 years or so in the past. Ancestry's is definitely more than 1000 years (as they state), and who knows about FamilyTreeDNA. Finally, 23andme gives you maternal and paternal haplogroup info, way, way better than FamilyTreeDNA's Y-str tests, but not quite the resolution of LivingDNA's Y and mtDNA haplogroup info.

    I also have been particularly impressed with LivingDNA's results: you get the deepest haplogroup estimate on both your maternal and paternal sides, and very detailed breakdown of your British ancestry (it seemed to tell the correct story of where my English grandmother and her ancestors were from). Its definitely european-centric and I don't know how good it is at spotting other non-european ethnicities. I know you said you're looking for native american traces too, so I'd better let others reading this thread chime in on this.
    I agree. I always recommend 23andme as the best overall test for your money if you only want to test once. The cousin matches are excellent too. LivingDNA is the way to go if you're of British or European ancestry and simply want information on your regions and haplogroups.
    Last edited by JonikW; 01-26-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    Living DNA Cautious mode:
    South Wales Border-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    Cumbria-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Only Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,050 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales, 18th century

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

     sktibo (05-14-2018)

  9. #1375
    Registered Users
    Posts
    3,530
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    sherit hapleitazeraisrael
    Nationality
    Die Überlebenden

    it takes living dna a lot of time to answere to emails
    why is that ?
    dna tribes snp Hidden Content
    my heritage update Hidden Content Hidden Content
    geno2 next : Hidden Content
    my origins 2.0 the most correct one in my case Hidden Content
    k29 results Hidden Content Hidden Content
    living dna cautious map most correct Hidden Content
    gencove Hidden Content

  10. #1376
    Registered Users
    Posts
    137
    Sex
    Location
    Australia
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Y-DNA
    R-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10

    Australia England Ireland
    My results:

    Standard

    21.5% NW England
    20.5% Central England
    13.9% South Wales Border
    8.3% Ireland
    6.4% NW Scotland
    5.5% East Anglia
    4.5% SE England
    3.1% Lincolnshire
    2.5% Orkney
    1.7% South Wales
    9.5% GB & Ireland unassigned
    2.4% Europe unassigned

    Cautious

    45.1% Central England related Ancestry
    23.9% South Wales related ancestry (incl. Ireland)
    10% East Anglia related Ancestry
    6.4% North West Scotland ancestry
    2.5% Orkney Related Ancestry
    9.5% Great Britain & Ireland unassigned
    2.4% Europe unassigned

    My father is Irish and at least 3/4 Irish by blood so I immediately knew that 8% was wrong, however I was impressed that it seemed to recognise where my English family is from (Staffordshire), on the intersection of the Central & NW English regions. I'm most comfortable with the Cautious results, however they're still not quite right. I have no known Scottish, Orcadian, East Anglian, SE English ancestry, and not much Welsh. I'll assume the Irish ancestry is largely represented here by the other Celtic/Brythonic categories and unassigned. I look forward to the Irish results improving as the only thing I'm still curious about is how much Welsh/British blood my father actually has, and he's testing soon.

  11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Molfish For This Useful Post:

     Jessie (02-20-2018), JohnHowellsTyrfro (02-20-2018), jshook (02-18-2018), kingjohn (02-18-2018), sktibo (05-21-2018), timberwolf (02-18-2018)

  12. #1377
    Registered Users
    Posts
    138
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Nationality
    American

    United States of America Japan England Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjohn View Post
    it takes living dna a lot of time to answere to emails
    why is that ?
    Not sure but I will say, they tend to reply almost immediately on their FB page.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to jshook For This Useful Post:

     kingjohn (02-18-2018)

  14. #1378
    Registered Users
    Posts
    138
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Nationality
    American

    United States of America Japan England Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post
    I also have been particularly impressed with LivingDNA's results: you get the deepest haplogroup estimate on both your maternal and paternal sides, and very detailed breakdown of your British ancestry (it seemed to tell the correct story of where my English grandmother and her ancestors were from).
    Just to be sure, some get that haplogroup depth and some don't. My maternal halplogroup came back "H" with no subclade and has not been updated, so I presume that's how it will stay.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to jshook For This Useful Post:

     fostert (02-18-2018)

  16. #1379
    Registered Users
    Posts
    370
    Sex
    Location
    England
    Y-DNA
    J1
    mtDNA
    K1a10a

    United States of America England
    Quote Originally Posted by Molfish View Post
    My results:

    Standard

    21.5% NW England
    20.5% Central England
    13.9% South Wales Border
    8.3% Ireland
    6.4% NW Scotland
    5.5% East Anglia
    4.5% SE England
    3.1% Lincolnshire
    2.5% Orkney
    1.7% South Wales
    9.5% GB & Ireland unassigned
    2.4% Europe unassigned

    Cautious

    45.1% Central England related Ancestry
    23.9% South Wales related ancestry (incl. Ireland)
    10% East Anglia related Ancestry
    6.4% North West Scotland ancestry
    2.5% Orkney Related Ancestry
    9.5% Great Britain & Ireland unassigned
    2.4% Europe unassigned

    My father is Irish and at least 3/4 Irish by blood so I immediately knew that 8% was wrong, however I was impressed that it seemed to recognise where my English family is from (Staffordshire), on the intersection of the Central & NW English regions. I'm most comfortable with the Cautious results, however they're still not quite right. I have no known Scottish, Orcadian, East Anglian, SE English ancestry, and not much Welsh. I'll assume the Irish ancestry is largely represented here by the other Celtic/Brythonic categories and unassigned. I look forward to the Irish results improving as the only thing I'm still curious about is how much Welsh/British blood my father actually has, and he's testing soon.
    Two questions.

    1. Is your father from one of the areas of Ireland heavily settled by the English?

    2. Regarding your mtDNA, do I have you on my K1a10 map? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Y8...3w&usp=sharing

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to J1 DYS388=13 For This Useful Post:

     Molfish (02-18-2018)

  18. #1380
    Registered Users
    Posts
    112
    Sex
    Location
    Canada
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Typical Canadian Mutt
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 -> FGC34856
    mtDNA
    J1c2e

    Ireland Ukraine England France Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by jshook View Post
    Just to be sure, some get that haplogroup depth and some don't. My maternal halplogroup came back "H" with no subclade and has not been updated, so I presume that's how it will stay.
    Good point - I have seen this in some Living testers, yes. I guess I just got lucky, or if Living is currently just focused on Europeans and I just happen to be the most common haplogroup in europe (R1b). I wonder why some don''t get a sharper estimate, and if Living's estimates will sharpen up with time?
    Mum = 50% Irish, 50% Ukrainian
    Dad = 40% French-Canadian, 10% Irish, 50% English
    Big Y + YTree.net = R M269 -> DF27 -> Z195 -> FGC34881 -> FGC34865 (SW France; ~500 ybp)
    FTDNA mtDNA Full Sequence = J1c2e
    Most Distant Known Ancestor = Jean Moreau b. 1630s Parthenay, Deux-Sèvres, France
    Surnames = Welch, Chibry, Moreau, Todd, Anderson, Bedford, Joncas, Basaraba

Page 138 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 96
    Last Post: 05-31-2017, 07:44 PM
  2. Commercial Testing - Living DNA
    By AntG in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-19-2017, 12:44 PM
  3. In Anticipation of Living DNA results
    By A Norfolk L-M20 in forum Genealogy
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-25-2016, 06:05 PM
  4. Luca, the first living being
    By Piquerobi in forum Human Evolution
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-17-2016, 12:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •