Ethnicity
    Greek
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-A2512
    mtDNA (M)
    U7a

Greece Byzantine Empire

I- A2512

What do you make of the I-A2512 rare branch of the I-CTS10228 Dinaric haplogroup?

So far from ftdna bigY tests it seems that we have a movement from the Carpathians to Greece about 2000 years ago and about 1000 years later a backmigration of a Jewish subcluster of A-2512 back to the area around Poland-Ukraine (perhaps because of the Crusades)!

A2512.png

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ba97200 For This Useful Post:

Greekscholar (02-12-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Macedonian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y16729
    mtDNA (M)
    H

North Macedonia United Kingdom England
    It's an interesting subclade and recently there are some major developments going on here...

Recently in our Macedonian project we got our first I-A2512*. He comes from the Western part of North Macedonia and has no knowledge of any foreign ancestry. He identifies as an ethnic Macedonian. His BIG-Y-700 is still in process but he already have got his str-111 markers and he is already confirmed as a I-A2512* by FTDNA. Looking at 'I2a DNA Project' results there is already a I-A2512* in Northern Greece and one of them is from Thasos while the other one with kit number 887728 didn't display information about where in Greece he comes from.

Looking at the Block Tree, there are 5 Greeks I-A2512 confirmed along with our new member and a guy from Poland. I couldn't find informations about this guy from Poland though. I know there is a major Jewish subclade down the I-A2512 branch but this guy from Poland is confirmed as I-A2512 positive only.

There is also a branch down the I-Y18331 subclade known on YFULL asI-Y158862. So far, there are two Greeks from Macedonia here along with an ethnic Russian and an Ukrainian and the TMRCA according to YFULL is only 1150 ybp.

Still though, this branch I-Y18331 is most diverse in Greece.

There are a lot of mysteries around this subclade and would be interesting to see the future developments here.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aspar For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-10-2020),  artemv (02-11-2020),  ba97200 (02-22-2020),  Greekscholar (02-11-2020),  hartaisarlag (05-11-2020),  Kelmendasi (02-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & Slavic
    Nationality
    Israel & Russia
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1b - S17250
    mtDNA (M)
    R0a4
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b5a

Israel Israel Jerusalem Russian Federation Serbia Montenegro
    Very interresting, thank you. History of Y18331 branch is very interesting for me personally.
    Anyway, I think that this North Macedonian does not change much. I guess his Y-chromosome is of Greek origin.

I have an idea, that Y18331 branch might be somehow connected to Greek colonies in the North Black see. We know, that they have accepted some local ("barbarians") into their society. That was the way for Y18331 to enter Greek community.
    Later, at different times, groups of Y18331 people migrated from Greek colonies to the mainland, while other groups stayed in those colonies, before Kievan Rus got control over that area.
    I-A10959 likely migrated to the mainland Greece even before CE, while I-A7134 likely migrated later.

No doubt, this is just my idea and in no way a proven fact. But given what we know now about history and about Y18331 sub-branches this is likely the best way to explain.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artemv For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-10-2020),  Aspar (02-12-2020),  Greekscholar (02-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Nationality
    American

United States of America Greece
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspar View Post
    It's an interesting subclade and recently there are some major developments going on here...

Recently in our Macedonian project we got our first I-A2512*. He comes from the Western part of North Macedonia and has no knowledge of any foreign ancestry. He identifies as an ethnic Macedonian. His BIG-Y-700 is still in process but he already have got his str-111 markers and he is already confirmed as a I-A2512* by FTDNA. Looking at 'I2a DNA Project' results there is already a I-A2512* in Northern Greece and one of them is from Thasos while the other one with kit number 887728 didn't display information about where in Greece he comes from.

Looking at the Block Tree, there are 5 Greeks I-A2512 confirmed along with our new member and a guy from Poland. I couldn't find informations about this guy from Poland though. I know there is a major Jewish subclade down the I-A2512 branch but this guy from Poland is confirmed as I-A2512 positive only.

There is also a branch down the I-Y18331 subclade known on YFULL asI-Y158862. So far, there are two Greeks from Macedonia here along with an ethnic Russian and an Ukrainian and the TMRCA according to YFULL is only 1150 ybp.

Still though, this branch I-Y18331 is most diverse in Greece.

There are a lot of mysteries around this subclade and would be interesting to see the future developments here.
    887728 is my cousin. His male line can be traced to the island of Fourni in the mid-19th century. Before that we have competing oral stories about where he was from. My dad's side of the family says he came from the Peloponnese and that we was "Maniote." My YiaYia and great aunts interpreted this word to mean "wild man" or "crazy person" but they did not know there was a region of Pellopenese called "Mani" and may have misinterpreted what they were told.

My mom is insistent that while "Mani" is correct, it was a place somewhere in "northern Greece" and that her father still went there in the 1950s to make charcoal. I used to be able to find a place in Macedonia named "Mani" on Google Earth that was relatively near the coast, but I can't find it anymore. Another more distant cousin says that family came from the island of Amorgos.

My cousin has a perfect match at 12 markers at FTDNA to man from the Peloponnese, but we have not been able to convince him to pay to test more markers. All this is very interesting. I try to keep up on the project page when Big-Y results are announced, so maybe this person's results will help answer our family mystery.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greekscholar For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-10-2020),  artemv (02-13-2020),  Aspar (02-12-2020),  dosas (02-12-2020),  Kelmendasi (02-11-2020)