Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post-colonial pop. structure of N America. Finally a study I can literally relate to

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT80854
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e2
    mtDNA (P)
    K1

England Scotland Ireland German Confederation Italy Two Sicilies France
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
    ..... In my family tree research thus far, I have uncovered one anglicized surname which appears to be more of a humorous failure at English spelling rather than deliberate attempt to look more Anglo. However, there were certainly many instances of surnames changes to avoid discrimination or to assimilate more quickly.
    I have one of those in my family. When my Great Great Grandfather arrived in the United States he changed his name from Lo Bianco to White to accomplish both ends. To avoid discrimination and assimilate more quickly.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (02-22-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    The airport staff told me this was North America.
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Nationality
    Undecided
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b (R-M222)
    mtDNA (M)
    V2a

Scotland England Wales Ireland Sweden Norway Kven
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
    I had no idea of the Acadian influence in South Carolina where I still have kin!
    The Colonies' list of Acadian resettlement http://www.thecajuns.com/exile.htm

I was sent that a couple months ago by a friend who had finally figured out why he had a number of Acadian/French-Canadian/Cajun/Louisianan relatives in his DNA matches when his ancestry was widely central/north eastern States.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Calas For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (02-22-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly West European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (Father)
    mtDNA (M)
    H1J2A

United States of America United Kingdom England Scotland Germany Belgium
    Quote Originally Posted by Calas View Post
    The Colonies' list of Acadian resettlement http://www.thecajuns.com/exile.htm

I was sent that a couple months ago by a friend who had finally figured out why he had a number of Acadian/French-Canadian/Cajun/Louisianan relatives in his DNA matches when his ancestry was widely central/north eastern States.
    Ah, 280 settled in South Carolina. I always associated the Acadians in N. America with Quebec and Maine and then further south in Cajun-land, or Louisiana. However, this website corroborates the settlement throughout the 13 American colonies:

http://www.emmigration.info/french-i...to-america.htm

History of French Immigration to America in the 1700's: The Louisiana Cajuns

"French Immigration to America included a group of people known as the Cajuns of Louisiana. The name Cajun is a corruption of the word Acadian and these French-speaking people who were exiles from the New France colony of Acadia (now the Maritimes). The Expulsion of the Arcadians (17551764) occurred during the French and Indian War and was part of the British campaign against New France. The British deported over 11,500 Acadians to the 13 Colonies and some made their way to the French Louisiana colony and established the Cajun culture."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AnnieD For This Useful Post:

Baltimore1937 (02-24-2017)

Great study.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chronos For This Useful Post:

MitchellSince1893 (03-17-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12