Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary
    Quote Originally Posted by Calas View Post
    I'll follow A Norfolk L-M20's example.

With one difference, I'm feeling too lazy to post photos of what is shown so I'll just summarize. Well not lazy, tired really. Anyways.

23&me

British & Irish - 79.2%
    French & German - 3.5%
    Scandinavian - 0.3%
    Broad NW - 11.7%
    South E. - 1.6%
    Iberian - 1.4%
    Finn - 1.2%
    Ashkenazi 0.4%
    Broad European 0.5%
    North African 0.1%

FTDNA

77% British Isles
    9% Scandinavia
    5% East European
    4% Southern European

3% Eastern Middle Eastern
    2%

Living DNA

Regional:
    82% Great Britain & Ireland
    8% Europe (North and West)
    4% Europe (unassigned).
    3% Europe (South)
    2% Asia (South)
    1% Near East

Sub-regional:

SW Scotland & Northern Ireland - 18.9%
    Cumbria - 16.2%
    Northwest Scotland - 10.5%
    North Wales- 7.8%
    Northumbria - 6.2%
    Central England - 6.1
    Cornwall - 3.9%
    Aberdeenshire - 3.2%
    South Wales Border - 1.8%
    South Wales - 1.2%

6.2% unassigned Great Britain & Ireland

2% Europe (South) - Basque
    1% Europe (South) - Northern Italy
    4% Europe (North & West) - Scotland and Ireland
    3% Europe (North & West) - Scandinavia
    1% Europe (North & West) - France
    2% Asia (South) - Sindh
    1% Near East - Levant

4% Europe (unassigned).

Papertrail wise, I'll just do a rough summary. Family has been, over the years, ranging from low mobility to rather high mobility [Fife to Swansea in 1779 for example].

Paternal
    60% Highland Scot/Irish
    30% generic mid to southern English
    10% Welsh

Maternal
    40% Welsh [30% Northern, 10% southern]
    20% generic southern English
    40% Scottish

Now there are some things that could be more accurate, but the results from Living DNA are not the sort of results I'd personally go "what the heck" about.

Then again the problem for myself I can't say mine is a static ancestry like A Norfolk L-M20 as my ancestry was more mobile than theirs was. I'll say that I go back about the same time frame accuracy, early 1600s, as they do with their East Anglia ancestry so it makes us a good comparable.

Both sides have widely stayed on the western side of England, likely why it says Cumbria second and Northumbria fifth. Yes I know in the what-did-your-3rd-great-grandparents-do post I mentioned some Londoners. Doesn't mean their ancestry was London nor that they stayed there.

As for the Asian South / Near Eastern for Living DNA I am very likely inheriting the majority of that from dad though his DNA ethnicity does not/rarely [FTDNA is the only one to tag it] shows it on these bigger sites. Gedmatch catches it by degrees. The unassigned British/Irish is interesting and I wonder if some of that happens to tie with dad's ancestry itself.
    Regarding your father's Highland Scot/Irish ancestry in PoBI there is a Northern Ireland/West Scotland category. From PoBI "The split in the Northern Ireland group, one with the Scottish highlands and the other with the lowlands, suggests association with the people of Dalriada and with the Picts, respectively, a separation of clans that existed around 600 AD." I might have missed it but I haven't seen anyone get this category yet. If someone has please correct me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (02-10-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    The airport staff told me this was North America.
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Nationality
    Undecided
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b (R-M222)
    mtDNA (M)
    V2a

Scotland England Wales Ireland Sweden Norway Kven
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    Regarding your father's Highland Scot/Irish ancestry in PoBI there is a Northern Ireland/West Scotland category. From PoBI "The split in the Northern Ireland group, one with the Scottish highlands and the other with the lowlands, suggests association with the people of Dalriada and with the Picts, respectively, a separation of clans that existed around 600 AD." I might have missed it but I haven't seen anyone get this category yet. If someone has please correct me.
    But wouldn't that be the SW Scotland & Northern Ireland as Dalriada took in what equates to Argyll & Bute nowadays?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France
    But wouldn't that be the SW Scotland & Northern Ireland as Dalriada took in what equates to Argyll & Bute nowadays?
    Apparently, SW scotland and north ireland include: Northern Ireland/Dumfries and Galloway/Ayrshire/Lanarkshire and surrounding areas
    NW scotland is Highland/Argyll and Bute/Stirling/Perth and Kinross areas
    So I don't know what they're talking about when they talk about "The split in the Northern Ireland group, one with the Scottish highlands and the other with the lowlands, suggests association with the people of Dalriada and with the Picts," Perhaps it's a typo or it wasn't edited properly or something.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (02-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

The SW Scotland and Northern Ireland category in PoBI is Northern Irish Protestants (or Planters) and SW Scotland they are very similar. The Northern Irish/West Scotland category is Catholic NI and Highlanders. LivingDNA will hopefully have more Scottish and also Irish results in the future so things will hopefully get even more refined. I would think they are classifying the Northern Irish/West Scotland category as the Dalriada group and the Northern Irish Protestants/SW Scots groups as Picts. I'm not sure how accurate this is and if you can tell apart the Gael and the Pict genetically. Possibly in the future they might be able to.

Last edited by Jessie; 02-10-2017 at 02:55 AM.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (02-10-2017),  AnnieD (02-11-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (02-11-2017),  [email protected] (02-10-2017),  sktibo (02-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

I get the impression from the descriptions that Aberdeenshire is mostly Pictish while the NW Scotland is mostly Gael

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (02-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    I get the impression from the descriptions that Aberdeenshire is mostly Pictish while the NW Scotland is mostly Gael
    It's all very fascinating. Wouldn't some Scottish areas by Brythonic as well? Although some of these language groups don't necessarily translate into different genetics.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (02-10-2017),  sktibo (02-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

It's all very fascinating. Wouldn't some Scottish areas by Brythonic as well? Although some of these language groups don't necessarily translate into different genetics.
    Yeah. Let me get my descriptions:
    Northumbria: "The genetic boundaries that make the Northumbria area distinct today are probably due to the boundaries established by Iron Age tribesmen, Romans, and Anglo Saxons. That this area’s genetic borders match up roughly with the borders of the Votadini tribal confederation is probably no coincidence. The Romans quite literally set the northern boundary of this region in stone when they built Hadrian’s Wall, forever marking out the separation of their Imperial territories with what lay outside. And the Angle Kingdom of Bernicia also corresponds to this region"
    Cumbria: Couldn't find a concise paragraph, but the genetic borders appear to be along the same lines as the Brythonic Kingdom of Rheged. This is mostly in England but this cluster is also found in Dumfries and Galloway

I guess Northumbria and Cumbria are the "Brythonic" parts of Scotland, but they're more heavily mixed with Angles than the people in Wales. However, it looks like they're both less Germanic than the South Central English clusters are. SW Scot NI probably also has remnants of the Kingdom of Strathclyde.. However I don't think this was mentioned in the write up for this group. I may have missed it though.
    Last edited by sktibo; 02-10-2017 at 03:19 AM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (02-10-2017),  Jessie (02-10-2017),  [email protected] (02-10-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    The airport staff told me this was North America.
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Nationality
    Undecided
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b (R-M222)
    mtDNA (M)
    V2a

Scotland England Wales Ireland Sweden Norway Kven
    Picts were to be found from Aberdeenshire to Fife. Gaels covered the Highlands. Brythonic are Galloways.

I don't need this but here's a map for reference.

http://hubpages.com/education/The-Picts-of-Scotland

The SW Scotland and Northern Ireland category in PoBI is Northern Irish Protestants (or Planters) and SW Scotland they are very similar. The Northern Irish/West Scotland category is Catholic NI and Highlanders.
    Jacobitism - Catholic - stronghold Highlands & northeast English/border Scot
    Planters - Protestant - in reality Presbyterians, southwest Scotland and border Scot.

I would think they are classifying the Northern Irish/West Scotland category as the Dalriada group and the Northern Irish Protestants/SW Scots groups as Picts. I'm not sure how accurate this is and if you can tell apart the Gael and the Pict genetically. Possibly in the future they might be able to.
    Well then if SW Scottish/Irish means Pictish then I'm a Pictish Irishman, Brythonic second, and a Gael third. I'll live.

But regarding the Gaelic vs Pictish idea isn't there some so called "Pictish" Y-DNA marker? I know relatives on mom's mother's side were going on on about it a few years ago.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calas For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (02-10-2017),  Jessie (02-10-2017),  [email protected] (02-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

The Atlas of Scottish History has some maps of Pictish placenames which extend almost up to where my male line comes from (several in Strath Tay)

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/di...=1340&layers=B
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-11-2017),  [email protected] (02-10-2017),  sktibo (02-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Picts were to be found from Aberdeenshire to Fife. Gaels covered the Highlands. Brythonic are Galloways.

I don't need this but here's a map for reference.

http://hubpages.com/education/The-Picts-of-Scotland

Jacobitism - Catholic - stronghold Highlands & northeast English/border Scot
    Planters - Protestant - in reality Presbyterians, southwest Scotland and border Scot.

Well then if SW Scottish/Irish means Pictish then I'm a Pictish Irishman, Brythonic second, and a Gael third. I'll live.

But regarding the Gaelic vs Pictish idea isn't there some so called "Pictish" Y-DNA marker? I know relatives on mom's mother's side were going on on about it a few years ago.
    Yes I remember reading about that a few years ago as well. This is a thread on Anthrogenica.

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...by-BritainsDNA

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (02-10-2017),  sktibo (02-10-2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast