Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Normandie Orkney Netherlands Friesland East Frisia Finland

Edo Nyland

Do the linguists on here know the man named Edo Nyland? I had never heard about him before today. If you are a linguist, or even if you only are interested in linguistics AND IF YOU LIKE TO LAUGH, just have a look inside: http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~legneref/bronze/nyvita.htm ( 50 or so clickable links at the bottom of the page). You don't know that all the european languages are invented from the Basque? You have never heard about the ainu and the eskimo Basque-connection? You want to discover the real classification of the world languages? Nyland has the answers.

edit: Haha! Read urgently http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~legneref/bronze/latin.htm . Absolutely amazing!
    Last edited by anglesqueville; 02-12-2017 at 10:53 PM.
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

(Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

AJL (02-13-2017),  Gravetto-Danubian (02-13-2017),  Saetro (02-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Brahmin Mixed S India
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b2a1a (Y7+)
    mtDNA (M)
    M5a2a

United States of America India Myanmar
    How on Earth did you come across this? I have no words.... =/
    The Ethiopia Dravidian link is reminiscent of something Clyde Winters would say
    Last edited by Varun R; 02-12-2017 at 11:05 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Varun R For This Useful Post:

anglesqueville (02-13-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Quote Originally Posted by Varun R View Post
    How on Earth did you come across this? I have no words.... =/
    The Ethiopia Dravidian link is reminiscent of something Clyde Winters would say
    Someone on Eurogenes linked to him, apparently seriously. This man has written several books which are available on amazon ( even the french amazon! https://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=edo+nyland ). I spent ( or wasted )several hours on this site yesterday. Could'nt stop. Basque, Ogam, latin, eskimo, ainu, etc, etc... and English ... better than MontyPythons, endless. Does he really believe in his theories, or is he a awsome joker? Difficult to choose.
    Of course, a question is: how this site can be hosted by the university of California (Riverside)? Terrific? Not that much. Many crackpots and impostors have, or had, their home in great universities. Vennemann, Alinei, etc. In France a basque university had given a title of doctor in linguistics ( perhaps not exactly a PhD) to a man who" proved" in his thesis that Basque is an IE language. This man, in his introduction, confesses quite genuinely that he does not know anything in linguistics, cannot read the classical texts of IE linguistics because he cannot read German, and has re-learnt latin for his thesis... everything is possible.
    Last edited by anglesqueville; 02-13-2017 at 07:50 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

Camulogène Rix (02-13-2017),  Varun R (02-13-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    The airport staff told me this was North America.
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Nationality
    Undecided
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b (R-M222)
    mtDNA (M)
    V2a

Scotland England Wales Ireland Sweden Norway Kven
    Just so you know, Edo Nyland is likely something of a quack. Unless you can find otherwise his education is a Bachelor of Science in Forestry. I suppose some universities might just offer a few program courses in linguistics. You never know, after all, when the language of the woods will come in handy.

His university website means utterly squat when I don't believe any of his work is peer reviewed nor peer commented upon. Besides most reviews around the internet are less than complimentary.

I just looked around quickly but his "research" seems widely based off his curiosity surrounding Homer's Odyssey & Iliad. Half his claims seem to be slap-together nonsense. Particularly when another researcher just happens to, by some miracle obviously, claim that the Basque language originates itself with Dogon [Mali] African language while Nyland here says it all comes from a Saharan language. Ironic that other Basque researchers, including the most respected one, once and still do roll their eyes about such claims.

His main claim to fame is the Benedictine monks? Hilarious in a way how the Benedictine monks only really started their work long after a number of these "Basque" languages existed. The concept Basque is the originator of Sumerian makes me laugh personally. But in a round around way he tries to maintain that language(s) only existed with the creation of Christianity. So does that mean people who weren't/aren't Christian only grunted and still only grunt at one another like hairless chimps?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Calas For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1a8

East Anglia England European Union
    He references to Genesis. I think that explains his perspective.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to A Norfolk L-M20 For This Useful Post:

Legacy Account
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF27>ZZ12>ZZ39
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1

Italy 1861-1946 France-Ile-de-France Lorraine
    Quote Originally Posted by anglesqueville View Post
    Someone on Eurogenes linked to him, apparently seriously. This man has written several books which are available on amazon ( even the french amazon! https://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=edo+nyland ). I spent ( or wasted )several hours on this site yesterday. Could'nt stop. Basque, Ogam, latin, eskimo, ainu, etc, etc... and English ... better than MontyPythons, endless. Does he really believe in his theories, or is he a awsome joker? Difficult to choose.
    Of course, a question is: how this site can be hosted by the university of California (Riverside)? Terrific? Not that much. Many crackpots and impostors have, or had, their home in great universities. Vennemann, Alinei, etc. In France a basque university had given a title of doctor in linguistics ( perhaps not exactly a PhD) to a man who" proved" in his thesis that Basque is an IE language. This man, in his introduction, confesses quite genuinely that he does not know anything in linguistics, cannot read the classical texts of IE linguistics because he cannot read German, and has re-learnt latin for his thesis... everything is possible.
    Yes but Alinei and Vennemann are genuine linguists. Nyland, a self-taught philologist, was just a crazy man, playing with esoteric concepts and absurd phonological correspondances. For instance:

doctor:
    .do-ok.-.to-or.
    odo - oke - eto - ora
    odoldun - okerkeria - etorri - orain
    bloody - injury - to come – quickly
    A bloody injury, come quickly.

Let's have fun doing the same exercise with you (using french, not basque):

anglesqueville
    angles-queue ('tail' in french)-ville
    angle-tail-vile
    the-angle-of-your-tail-is-vile
    You are the devil
    Eurogenes G25: 47% DEU_Halberstadt_LBA+36% ITL_Proto-Villanovan+17% GRC_Mycenaean

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Camulogène Rix For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (02-13-2017),  Agamemnon (02-13-2017),  anglesqueville (02-13-2017),  Bas (02-15-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

All of you are right, even maybe Camulogene Rix ( some people tell I'm the Devil and, actually, I enjoy some satanist metal bands, like Behemoth or Hate). My point was not at all to make think about true questions, like " what is genuine linguistics", or " why do some universities open their doors to pure crackpots", etc. Asya Pereltsvaig has written many interesting things about the fist question in her famous book "The Indo-European Controversy: Facts and Fallacies in Historical Linguistics" (btw she does not answer to that question : "how can a book be so expensive?") No, my point was only to make you laugh.
    If you are serious people, you may read this page on the blog of the spanish linguist Octavia Alexandre : http://vasco-caucasian.blogspot.fr/2...in-action.html ( and his whole blog, if you are interested by the vasconic questions; The first post is http://vasco-caucasian.blogspot.fr/2...ypothesis.html).

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (02-13-2017),  Camulogène Rix (02-13-2017),  Saetro (02-13-2017)