Ethnicity
    British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    L2>BY3508...>BY3506

Ireland England Scotland

New L2 Distribution Map

I came across some mapping software this afternoon that is free for non-commercial use and was playing around with it making heat maps for my terminal SNP when I wondered what an L2 distribution heat map would look like.

I downloaded the raw .KML data file from the maps on the U152 project website and then loaded the file up on Google Earth to remove the testers who are piled up in the middle of the sea (the ones that don't know where their ancestor came from). I then exported this file and converted it to .CSV before loading it into the ArcGIS software and here is what it looks like:
    L2 Distribution Zoomed Out.jpg
    L2 Distribution Zoomed In.jpg

The ArcGIS tool looks quite promising for genetic genealogy, there is the option to make your map publicly viewable and/or embed it into your own website. I have kept the map set to private of course since it is hardly my data. When viewing the map they can swap between heat map and point map views and can click on the dots to bring up the same information that you get on the standard U152 project maps.
    Paternal Y-DNA: U152>L2>BY3508>L135>BY3506 Estimated age of BY3506: 500BC
    Most Distant Known Paternal Ancestor: Patrick Dillon, born around 1790 somewhere in Ireland (possibly County Mayo). Some of his descendants later moved to Manchester, England between the 1820s and 30s.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DillonResearcher For This Useful Post:

Celt_?? (05-13-2017),  haleaton (03-18-2017),  Kwheaton (03-20-2017),  Leroy Jenkins (02-22-2017),  MitchellSince1893 (02-24-2017),  Osiris (02-22-2017),  Ravai (03-18-2017),  wombatofthenorth (05-20-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2>BY4242-Germany
    mtDNA (M)
    H3h-Germany
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-FT41362-Azores, Pt
    mtDNA (P)
    W6a-Slovakia

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    Neat. I suppose if you wanted to adjust the heat intensity to account for over sampling from certain areas you'd have to do that manually? I never downloaded the files you did but I can imagine that would also be pretty tricky. But cool to see.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    L2>BY3508...>BY3506

Ireland England Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Neat. I suppose if you wanted to adjust the heat intensity to account for over sampling from certain areas you'd have to do that manually? I never downloaded the files you did but I can imagine that would also be pretty tricky. But cool to see.
    I don't know if there is a way to make adjustments for just specific areas other than manually, there might be, I may have not found it yet.

When doing a similar map for the SNP above my terminal one I sorted out the problem of over sampling by only using one sample from a group of related people with the same surname and giving this one sample an average location.
    L135 Distribution Map.jpg
    Paternal Y-DNA: U152>L2>BY3508>L135>BY3506 Estimated age of BY3506: 500BC
    Most Distant Known Paternal Ancestor: Patrick Dillon, born around 1790 somewhere in Ireland (possibly County Mayo). Some of his descendants later moved to Manchester, England between the 1820s and 30s.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern Europe
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC5301 or R-A197
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1

United States of America Scotland England North of England Norway England

http://named.publicprofiler.org/

I was wondering if there was a good source of major Y Haplgroups distributions currently in Great Britain, unbiased by the large number of Americans who test which could be used in such a mapping tool.

Probably posted previously there is is new surname mapping tool for Great Britain that came out last year based on election records, though I do not know how hard it is to get the original data they use.

http://named.publicprofiler.org/

http://www.citylab.com/design/2016/0...ofiler/471672/

One neat feature is they let you put in two names and get a joint heat map.

So for fun if you have known ancestry back in the UK you can put in a marriage couples name and many times the tool fairly closely identifies the location they were actually from.

If we had similar maps for current distribution of Y haplogroups we could do a joint heat map of surname and Haplogroup.

With many of the surname projects there are groups with the same name but differing Y haplogroups that are distant and sampling is dominated by colonial emigrants to the New World. It would be interesting if these can be correlated back to possible origins.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2>R-BY115665
    mtDNA (M)
    I2

United Kingdom European Union England
    I work in a biodiversity information centre (wildlife) and have access to various mapping software with species distribution mapping one primary use of data. I am very much an amateur at human population genetics but I suspect there are a lot of similar principles in terms of data visualisation and analysis. In particular, as mentioned above, accounting for sampling bias. If there is an interest I could have a go at investigating this for L2?

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bdeed For This Useful Post:

DillonResearcher (03-18-2017),  Kwheaton (03-20-2017),  MitchellSince1893 (03-18-2017),  Ravai (03-18-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2>R-BY115665
    mtDNA (M)
    I2

United Kingdom European Union England
    Also, If you like mapping then QGIS is an excellent free open source gis software. Which while offline does have plugins which allow you to present interactive maps on the web.