Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Y-DNA in Somali Benadiris.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Deftextra View Post
    I think its more complicated since there are actually clans that claim south-Asian ancestry. However, intermarriage between different groups and families is the norm which in some cases has blurred the lines. I'm not sure how people in south-asian in the 15th and 16th century identified as, but as you know there are many different ethnic groups on the continent and I guess they would identify more with there respective ethnic group.
    Oh, I was under the impression there was none that claimed South Asian ancestry because VytautusofAukstaitija said there was no mention of South Asia in your people's genealogy and you did not correct him, so I thought you shared the same belief.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellerbe For This Useful Post:

VytautusofAukstaitija (01-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellerbe View Post
    Oh, I was under the impression there was none that claimed South Asian ancestry because VytautusofAukstaitija said there was no mention of South Asia in your people's genealogy and you did not correct him, so I thought you shared the same belief.
    Yeah, I never knew about it. I know recent South Asian ancestry in Benadiris like grandparents, but not of clans.

It also depends on if you consider Balochis South Asian. In the Benadir they aren't considered Hindi. The Balochis in Tanzania also aren't I think.

But Deftextra - what do you know about South Asian ancestors? I know that later colonial period South Asians lived and interacted heavily with the Benadiri, but what about earlier times? Almost all the Benadiris claim Yemenite and even Central Asian (Iranic) male ancestors which made me never question further. I only sometimes heard about South Asian parents and grandparents.

I also hear some Benadiri clans became Hawiye (Abgaal?) - is this true?

There should be much more focus on South Asia now that we are likely going to see a very significant amount of South Asian ydna in Benadiris and maybe also Bajuunis and other Somalis with R1a and L-M27.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VytautusofAukstaitija For This Useful Post:

Deftextra (02-02-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Dutch
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    Y-DNA (M)
    G2a

Somalia Netherlands
    But Deftextra - what do you know about South Asian ancestors? I know that later colonial period South Asians lived and interacted heavily with the Benadiri, but what about earlier times? Almost all the Benadiris claim Yemenite and even Central Asian (Iranic) male ancestors which made me never question further. I only sometimes heard about South Asian parents and grandparents.
    I asked my parents the same question, and apparently south asians and other ethnic groups used to live in the same quarters as benadiris and sometimes marriages used to happen but was rare. I asked my mom why some sections of the family look very south Asian and apparently, my great grandfathers brother married an indian. Although, they dont identify as south Asian because of the paternal nature, they probably have elevated south-Asian ancestry. There is also similar cases with different ethnic groups like Yemeni.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deftextra For This Useful Post:

SWAHILLI_PRINCE16 (01-26-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Dutch
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    Y-DNA (M)
    G2a

Somalia Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by VytautusofAukstaitija View Post

I also hear some Benadiri clans became Hawiye (Abgaal?) - is this true?
    I am not sure to be honest. I heard of benadiri clans who claim somali orgin, so the reverse is not to far fetched to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by VytautusofAukstaitija View Post
    There should be much more focus on South Asia now that we are likely going to see a very significant amount of South Asian ydna in Benadiris and maybe also Bajuunis and other Somalis with R1a and L-M27.
    Yeah, from all the results I have seen so far, all benadiris seem to cary south-asian but to varying degrees. Here is one who is on the lower end of the spectrum. He claims that all he know is that his ancestors were in Somalia for centuries, and he is estimated to be my 1st cousin twice removed or seconde cousin once removed. Still trying to figure out how we are related. He tested at Myheritage so no y haplogroup results.

Attachment 36157
    Attachment 36158

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12