Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-L20
    mtDNA
    k1a4a1

unusual surname origin

I'll post this over here as well since I'm not really sure where it traces back and for all I know it could be to the Balkans.

One of my farthest back traced Baltic German-line ancestors has the guy's wife with her maiden name written in records as "Tschiniske" and "Tschiniskij" (she was born around 1734-1758 time frame, not sure if in Latvia or elsewhere, she was married in Latvia though and certainly lived there post-marriage at the very least). Now they tended to write "sch" in those old German records in Latvia instead of "z" so it's probably really more like "Tziniske/Tziniskij" and then they also tend to do weird stuff the the endings so maybe it's really more like "Tziniski" but then again "Tsch" might perhaps also be "Cz" instead so maybe it's really either or both "Tziniski/Cziniski". The earlier forms listed I find no sign of at all when I google. The latter two I do find some matches, but very, very few. I find one family in the US that long ago had some Tziniski ancestors and then I find a 1703 baptism record in Slovakia for Cziniski and that is about all I can find.

Does anyone know the likely origin of the surname? Is it maybe Slovakian? Or even Hungarian? (maybe even Russian or Ukrainian and not putting in Cyrillic form, which I'm not quite sure what it would be, is the only reason for no matches?). Could it be Polish although I seem to find no trace of it there? From some place in the Balkans? The Roman Catholic church baptism record for a single family in Slovakia 1703 is the only real trace I find perhaps tying it to some country.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Slavic Jew
    Y-DNA
    E-V12 Egypt/Natufian
    mtDNA
    I5a Levant

Italy Poland Germany Palatinate Prussia Rheinland Star of David
    -ske, most likely Slavic origin. Probably a Germanization of Polish name. That's my guess

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Central/E. Sudanic
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    A-M13 (Y25085)
    mtDNA
    L3x2b

Canada Uganda Southern Sudan Chad Ethiopia Omo Region Sudan
    - I'm clueless but have you tried the surname search engines on either Moose Roots or ancestry.com ? They might help with the different variations
    PuntDNAL K8
    Population: Hidden Content 46.16, Ubangian_Congo 9.56, W_Benue_Congo 24.21, Eastern_HG 2.09, E_Benue_Congo 12.94, Omotic 5.05
    Single Population Sharing: Hidden Content 14.17, Hidden Content 17.26, South_Sudanese 25.21, South_Sudan_Anuak 25.65, Cameroon_Mada 28.57, Ethiopian_Gumuz 33.91, Kenyan_Maasai 36.07, Kenyan_Bantu 38.05, Chad_Kaba 40.04, DRC_Hema 42.08, Kenyan_Luhya 46.64

The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it - Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2a1b1a

Romania European Union
    You might want to play around on this resource

http://forebears.io/surnames?q=Tschiniske

Sex
    Y-DNA
    R-BY593
    mtDNA
    U4c1a

Canada Romania Greece Poland Norway Israel
    I am searching for the origin of surname Bosinceanu/Bosanceanu.. and other similar Romanian variations that originates from the word Bosancea/Bosanci (rom) /Bossancze (ger)/Boszańce (polish) which is an old village in Bukovina/Romania. Also, Bosanci is known as a village in Croatia. Unfortunately, I was not able to make any connections between these two villages and/or what would be the origin/meaning of name bosanci/bosance. No much information out there . Also I believe there no connection between Bosnia /Hertegovina and Romanian name bosanci. I noticed the name Bosanac, which is common somewhere in Cornawall/England , however this might have to do only with migration of French Huguenots (name bosence) that moved later to England

Another legend is that the surname Bosinceanu/Bosanceanu comes from the word ""Bo San Chan" having tatar origin ...and meaning Bo son of Chan. However, the Y-DNA result of Bosinceanu is ==> R1b L23EE (R-BY593). So it does not confirm any asian origins, it rather points to be old Thracian / Nord Charpatian or Western type of Y-DNA .

... Any other suggestions/ideea about the meaning/real origin of Bosancea/Bosanci would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Ulrike; 03-04-2017 at 02:09 AM. Reason: clarity..

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-L20
    mtDNA
    k1a4a1

Thanks.

If it helps further this is all the stuff I could come up with on google for the "inis" form with the extra 'i':

In the baptism record:
    Name Michaëlem Cziniski
    Event Type Baptism
    Event Date 1704
    Event Place Zborov, Bardejov, Slovakia
    Father's Name Francisko Cziniski
    Mother's Name Marina
    https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/...=27&cc=1554443
    --------------------------------
    Oh I also came across some "Czinisky da Silva" in Brazil (Alessandro Czinisky da Silva Vieira, Rosa Czinisky da Silva).
    -------------------------------
    And the Tziniski record simply had:
    "She was born the eighth child to Martin Petesky and Antonia Tziniski, on
    October 7, 1910 in Plain Lake, AB"
    --------------------------
    and google found this odd bit in a book (http://www.academia.edu/8741718/Les_..._r%C3%A9cent):
    "Mômc si celui ci, comme il est
    admis, se trouvair alors à p?u frès au niveau dc l,acruelte rue Tziniski
    (Mégâloû Alcxandroù), le rempân âurait éié au micux au ."

("If the latter, as it is admitted, is at that time at the level of the
    Tziniski Street (Meglov Alcxandrou)")
    -----------------------------
    Also this fragment from an old newspaper article:
    "Bill Tziniski 35-3570 Gene Ferrell 35-3570 Brumel set the world mark of 7-5
    in the U.S.-Soviet meet at Moscow in July 1963, and went on to take the
    Olympic gold medal at Tokyo in 1964"
    --------------------
    Also:
    Irene Ruth Czinisky, 12 August 1929 - Thrall, Williamson, Texas, United
    States
    Texas Birth Certificates, 1903-1935
    Franklin T Czinisky, 12 February 1933 - Coupland, Texas
    Name Irene Ruth Czinisky
    Event Type Birth
    Event Date 12 Aug 1929
    Event Place Thrall, Williamson, Texas, United States
    Gender Female
    Father's Name Paul Czinisky
    Mother's Name Martha Zwahr
    -------------------
    also a James Cziniski who got hit by a car in 1936 on July 25th in
    Harrisburg, PA but was OK.
    ----------------
    and then there is a Cziniske listed in the white pages in the UK
    -----------

and that is pretty much all I can find with google on the "inis" form.
    not sure if any of that gives clues to the country

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2a1b1a

Romania European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrike View Post
    I am searching for the origin of surname Bosinceanu/Bosanceanu.. and other similar Romanian variations that originates from the word Bosancea/Bosanci (rom) /Bossancze (ger)/Boszańce (polish) which is an old village in Bukovina/Romania. Also, Bosanci is known as a village in Croatia. Unfortunately, I was not able to make any connections between these two villages and/or what would be the origin/meaning of name bosanci/bosance. No much information out there . Also I believe there no connection between Bosnia /Hertegovina and Romanian name bosanci. I noticed the name Bosanac, which is common somewhere in Cornawall/England , however this might have to do only with migration of French Huguenots (name bosence) that moved later to England

Another legend is that the surname Bosinceanu/Bosanceanu comes from the word ""Bo San Chan" having tatar origin ...and meaning Bo son of Chan. However, the Y-DNA result of Bosinceanu is ==> R1b L23EE (R-BY593). So it does not confirm any asian origins, it rather points to be old Thracian / Nord Charpatian or Western type of Y-DNA .

... Any other suggestions/ideea about the meaning/real origin of Bosancea/Bosanci would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    You should be really searching for the meaning of Bosanci (Bosancea historically) only.

The suffix -an/anu roughly means "from".
    So in your case Bosinceanu/Bosanceanu means from Bosanci/Bosancea.
    Also note that you are looking at Moldova, which has had a complex history. According to the earliest Moldovan chronicle from 1642, Moldova was populated mainly by Tatars in the 12-13th centuries and then the Hungarian king of that time bought the services of Romanians from Maramures to push them over the Dniester. After that, they began to "unmount" and settle this now almost empty territory with Romanians. The neighbouring Ruthenians from "Tara Leasca" (I believe that's roughly West Ukraine and Poland, though Leasca comes from Leh, which meant Polish in medieval Romanian) brought their people over too after the territory has been cleared of Tatars. According to the chronicle, the population of Moldova was split roughly 50/50 between Romanians and Ruthenians.

Your haplogroup however signals that the origin of your Bosanceanu is most likely Romanian. I don't have subclade breakdowns unfortunately, but R1b is not uncommon in Romania.
    Bosanci doesn't mean anything in Romanian, but I've looked up the hypothesis on the origin of the name and supposedly it comes from Bosancu, who was a shepherd. Considering that Romanian shepherds practiced transhumance and travelled all the way down to the Balkans via the Carpathian arch, there might as well be a connection with the South Slavic Bosanci.

Sorry mate, but the the origin of Romanians is really a mess and a half. What you should know is that the name is romanised and that your ancestor most likely considered himself/herself Romanian. His/her distant ancestors though were probably a mix between a Balkan-like romanised population and a Slavic-like population, which is pretty much the case for all Romanians.
    Last edited by Dorkymon; 03-04-2017 at 06:28 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dorkymon For This Useful Post:

Gravetto-Danubian (03-13-2017),  Ulrike (03-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-L20
    mtDNA
    k1a4a1

Starting to think it might be Polish.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wombatofthenorth For This Useful Post:

Ulrike (03-13-2017)

Sex
    Y-DNA
    R-BY593
    mtDNA
    U4c1a

So,.. Bosancu could mean shepherd as well, it's very interesting..this scenario makes a lot of sense. Excellent info... thanks!

more work to done and agreed in respect to origin of Romanians...it is needed.

My haplogroup ...the thing is the common polish Y-DNA clades community (FTDNA ..see http://www.gwozdz.org/Results.html) are pointing that "R1b /CTS9219/ ...BY-593, TMRCA about 1500 AD" (also is my Big Y test result) is Polish. Most of the people having Big Y-DNA tested and belonging to BY593 cluster are polish ...all coming from Silesia, South Poland, also there is one Ukrainian occurrence (west of Kiev), and another one Romanian coming from same region as my Y-DNA ancestor. From big Y-DNA perspective (antique Y-DNA)..all BY-593 are like twins to me. What I believe happened is that BY-593 haplogroup historically lived in Trancarpathia for long time and well before slavic R1a haplougroup moved in...now given the current countries boundaries... the same BY-593 haplogroup can be found in Romania , south Poland, and West Ukraine. I believe all are descendants of north Thracians / Dacians
    Last edited by Ulrike; 03-13-2017 at 01:19 AM. Reason: clarity

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrike For This Useful Post:

Mis (03-13-2017)

Sex
    Y-DNA
    R-BY593
    mtDNA
    U4c1a

#####
    Last edited by Ulrike; 03-13-2017 at 12:42 AM. Reason: none

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast