Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: unusual surname origin

Sex
    Y-DNA
    R-BY593
    mtDNA
    U4c1a

Canada Romania Greece Poland Norway Israel
    Below link might explain/provide an insight about the link between BY-593 Y-DNA with Polish. Thracian / Dacian Y-DNA has been found in south of Poland

http://naukawpolsce.pap.pl/aktualnos...niu-dakow.html

and its google translation:"

"The mystery of the mound ancient tribe Dacian

At the beginning of our era, when the current area of ​​Transylvania conquered the Romans, part of the great Dacian tribe took refuge in inaccessible areas of the Carpathian, in the area of ​​present Slovakia, western Ukraine and Moldova. Small groups also hit on the Polish area of ​​Podkarpacie, where he survived until late antiquity. One such enclaves existed in the Lower San River, near the village of Przędzel and Kopka in the district Niżańskie. In August, the expedition of the Regional Museum in Stalowa Wola, led by Monika Kuraś of the Regional Museum in Stalowa Wola in collaboration with Dr. Mark Florek from the Institute of Archaeology at the University of Maria Curie-Sklodowska University, resumed studies remaining after Dakach barrow - burial mound topped with burnt offering.

WHO WERE Dacians
    As defined by Dr. Florek, Dacians a northern branch of the Thracians, one of the great nations formerly belonging to the Indo-European language family, extinct even in antiquity. Its representatives are usually associate with the current areas of Romania. In the area of ​​Transylvania, was the center of their kingdom, which was established after the unification of the Dacian tribes under the leadership of Decebal in the 80's of the first century AD In the years 101-106 the state of Decebal was defeated and conquered by the Romans, and its area created by Roman province of Dacia .
    To avoid subordination to Rome a small group of Dacian, probably belonging to the tribe Karpov, also hit on the Polish area of ​​Podkarpacie and here they survived until late antiquity. From the name of the tribe, whose archaeological equivalent is called. Carpathian barrows culture, comes from the name of the Carpathians.
    One enclaves of population Dacian culture mounds Carpathian lands Polish existed on the Lower San River, near the village of Przędzel and Kopka. Its remnant is located in the village of distinctive mounds (mounds of earth) laying the remains of burnt stacks. One of these mounds, measuring about 12 meters in diameter and 1.5 m height was initially diagnosed in 1983-1987. He entered it in the small, numbering 4 mounds, burial in Przędzelu.
    The villages on the San is not the only place. According to Dr. Florek Dacians they were still on the lower Wisłoka near Tarnow and Roztoczu South in the area of ​​Łukawicy in the county Lubaczˇw.
    ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESEARCH barrow
    In August 2008, the expedition of the Regional Museum in Stalowa Wola, led by Monika Kuraś in collaboration with Dr. Mark Florek from the Institute of Archaeology UMTS resumed research mound.
    As reports Dr. Florek, built under the sand embankment unveiled burned beams and planks - całopalnego remainder of the stack, where the burned dead. Unfortunately we discovered no equipment, as has previously been robbed mound. As evidenced by traces made in the center of deep excavation. Obtained from one of the burned beams date radiocarbon (C14) shows that the mound piled in the last quarter of the third century or 20s of the fourth century.
    Younger, because it probably comes from the turn of the fifth and sixth centuries, was the mound in the cops, distant approx. 10 km from Przędzel. During surveys in 1964 Kazimierz Moscow with the Regional Museum in Rzeszow he discovered the remains of burned beams, numerous charcoals, traces of burnout clay surface, small burnt human bones and a few fragments of vessels, including turned on the wheel. Dr. Florek stresses that the then study included only a small portion of the embankment mound and were not continued. Not tested part of the embankment mound in the early 70s of the twentieth century, was destroyed by the local population with the help of a bulldozer. In 2005, the land derived from the embankment offset by the barrow, found metal outfit: buckle, belt fitting end and a circle of tubercles on the perimeter. According to archaeologists, these findings can be pre-dated to about the year 500 times.
    "Both older discoveries in the cops and the results of current research in the barrow Przędzelu seem to point to stay on the Lower San River in the late Roman period some, probably relatively small, the population Dacian culture mounds Carpathian" - sums up Florek.
    In his view, this population could have come from the South or mites (eg. Łukawicy from the region, where between the third and fifth centuries there was the small enclave) wandering along Tanew, either directly from the territory of the Carpathians. In the latter case, it would be probably a group of Carpathian Dacians, looking for winter pastures for their herds. Similar seasonal migration between the Beskidy Mountains and the northern part of the Sandomierz Basin and Roztocze takes over 1,000 years later Walachian shepherds leading a similar lifestyle as the population of the culture of the Carpathian barrows.
    PAP - Science in Poland, Karolina Olszewska
    tr "

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ulrike For This Useful Post:

Dorkymon (03-14-2017),  Idwaajeden (08-13-2018)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Nationality
    Romanian-American

Romania United States of America
    Hello all, is this thread still being followed? I have a sort of unusual Romanian last name. I am waiting for my 23 and me results currently but as far as I know both my parents are Romanian. I was also born in Romania but moved to America as an infant. Anyway, my last name is Ariciuc. I have been having no luck with understanding it's origins or if it has evolved... Perhaps someone else has seen variations of it before? I live in the United States and only speak English so it has been difficult or let's say uncomfortable to try and contact who is left of my relatives. I was thinking my last name could be Slavic since I am from a small town in Caras-Severin on the Danube bordering Serbia. Could there be a translation of Ariciuc into another language/alphabet? Thanks much for any links or advice in advance! I just joined this site not too long ago and have little experience on forums so I wasn't sure where to start...

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Nationality
    Bulgarian

Bulgaria
    Google Аричук...slavic(Ukrainian),the name itself may be of Turkic origin (arıcı- Turkish . "beekeeper").Would not be surprised if an ancestor of yours settled somewhere along the Danube highway and raised a family with a local lady...There you go,according to 2011 census there are under 1% Ukrainians...I guess the local archives have many interesting stories to tell...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to td120 For This Useful Post:

Caracoancea (08-16-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Caracoancea View Post
    Hello all, is this thread still being followed? I have a sort of unusual Romanian last name. I am waiting for my 23 and me results currently but as far as I know both my parents are Romanian. I was also born in Romania but moved to America as an infant. Anyway, my last name is Ariciuc. I have been having no luck with understanding it's origins or if it has evolved... Perhaps someone else has seen variations of it before? I live in the United States and only speak English so it has been difficult or let's say uncomfortable to try and contact who is left of my relatives. I was thinking my last name could be Slavic since I am from a small town in Caras-Severin on the Danube bordering Serbia. Could there be a translation of Ariciuc into another language/alphabet? Thanks much for any links or advice in advance! I just joined this site not too long ago and have little experience on forums so I wasn't sure where to start...
    Ariciu means hedgehog!
    (Ukrainian for Turkish beekeeper? On the Danube? Why? Why?)

Your surname might be a slavicized version of Ariciu.
    Ariciuc is most common in Botoșani county, which borders Ukraine. It appears that there are no Ariciucs left in Mehedinți, although there are a few in Timiș and Hunedoara.
    Ariciu is present in Mehedinți, but it is far more common in Prahova than Mehedinți. Perhaps an Ariciu migrated north, where the name got changed to Ariciuc, and a descendent moved south to Mehedinți?
    http://www.locatemyname.com/ro/Ariciu
    http://www.locatemyname.com/ro/Ariciuc

BTW,
    the Ariciucs in myheritage.com (there aren't many) are Romanian, not Ukrainian or Serbian.

What you you know about your family history?

Since Anthrogenica is also about anthropology, here are a few more comments: Hedgehogs seem to have been special. There are quite a few ceramic representations of them, from Gumelnița culture but also Cucuteni. I doubt any archaeologist knows what they symbolized.
    Gumelnița and Cucuteni cultures were present where the surname Ariciu and Ariciuc are most common in the maps from locatemyname.com, in the links above. Nice coincidence.

Pictures here:

and also here:

This one is from the museum in Piatra Neamț, just south of Botoșani.
    Last edited by Fungene; 08-13-2018 at 08:04 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fungene For This Useful Post:

Caracoancea (08-16-2018),  td120 (08-13-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Nationality
    Bulgarian

Bulgaria
    On some Ukrainian forums it's listed among the Ukrainian names with Turkic origin...

Where was the name changed?In Severin...or in the US(highly unlikely).Was it changed at all?

I would for the present presume that there were 1.Ethnic Romanian Ariciu 2.Slavic Ariciuc (Аричук) 3.Non-Romanian folks with calqued names(Ежов; Їжов). All these are plausible.

As for the Ariciucs(Аричук)living in present-day Ukraine(or at least some of them)...are they ethnic Ukrainian migrants to the Motherland who have retained their Romanian family name?Doubt it...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to td120 For This Useful Post:

Caracoancea (08-16-2018)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Nationality
    Romanian-American

That's so fascinating... Hedgehog or beekeeper, it's all wonderful! Thank you both!! I was way off course... The word Aricia or city of the Roman empire was something I came across but nothing substantial to work with. I've even seen the surname Iriciuc or Iriciu on Facebook... I do know my father and his mother moved to our village Coronini (Moldova-Noua) when he was a child. Supposedly from Northern Romania. Coronini is on the Danube, my apologies if I forget little details. My grandparents were both raised in Coronini. My grandmother's grandparents were also born in Coronini. My grandfather's mother was adopted from a Romanian orphanage, but I don't think they know where exactly. It's unknown at this time. Interestingly, my grandfather's mother was adopted by my maternal grand-mother's great aunt and her husband since they had trouble conceiving. They raise her and she ends up sleeping with a married man and tried to give my grandfather up for adoption... (palm to the face) ... The aunt and husband then adopt their grandson... My grandmother was born shortly afterwards. They were cousins (I think) by adoption but end up marrying and having my mother. Kind of a headache so far. Anyway... My grandmother's maiden name is Caracoancea, my mother's is Cirpean-Balean. Both seem pretty Romanian and are mouthfuls so my grandfather and mother both changed their last names to Balean when they got to America. My grandfather escaped (successfully in 84) and became a refugee and gained political asylum in Canada. Eventually, after being a Canadian citizen several years he married an American woman and then became an American citizen. He went back to Romania for my mother and I guess, myself in 1994. Lol. I don't believe my father's last name was changed recently since my mother recalls his birth certificate showing Ariciuc for both his parents surnames... I also kept his last name upon my arrival to America and after my parents were divorced... My father actually lives in Northern Italy now. Which I assume because it's easier to speak another romance language. There are many facts that don't exactly help, so excuse me for any extraneous information ���� I feel compelled to agree it could very well be Turkic or Ukranian. I'm really really loving the cultural inferences you have made Fungene! I'll probably be fixated on that for most of today���� I have a feeling I will stumble across some juicy history... I suppose my next task is to contact my estranged father and see if he will complete an ancestry test for me�� Also, if my grandfather completed a test that would cover a substantial amount of ancestry, yes? Myself, my father, and my mother's father... My grandmother passed away and my mother was an only child. I believe I might have a great-uncle somewhere... I'm trying to understand how to paint the best picture using familial dna... Since I am female. I might still be a little confused���� Thanks so much again!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

I feel compelled to agree it could very well be Turkic or Ukranian.
    Why? It doesn't make much sense, especially given the background you mentioned.
    Try 23andme and Living DNA. That could help.

Edit: a reasonable tip is to follow up on information that is in some way verifiable, rather than hearsay.
    Last edited by Fungene; 08-16-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Nationality
    Romanian-American

I think you are taking what I said the wrong way. I'm not settling on one thing or another. My grandfather mentioned he could have been Ukranian, or from somewhere else, nonetheless... he could be too full of pride to admit my father was just as Romanian as he was. Since he came from somewhere else and knocked his daughter up. My mother and grandfather are pretty much impossible to talk to. They're not nice all thanks to communism, right xD. Sometimes... Blood is not thicker than water. I guess I'm done posting anything here. So so so so sorry if I said something wrong to you. And yeah, I already sent my sample back. I'm waiting on it. Hope you have a wonderful day, regardless.
    Last edited by Caracoancea; 08-16-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

OK: that's additional info that you had not mentioned earlier. BTW, posts can be edited; whatever is written on Anthrogenica is readable by lurkers and is also archived.
    In any case, thanks for sharing, and I hope you find further information that is useful. Please do post your results, once you get them, and if you want to.

Registered Users
    Sex

Romania
    Hello all, is this thread still being followed? I have a sort of unusual Romanian last name. (...)
    http://nume.ottomotor.ro/en?search=ariciuc&type=text
    Caracoancea it sounds like an Aromanian name I think.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Cara...ient=firefox-b

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast