Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Surprising J1-M267 result!

  1. #1
    Administrator
    Posts
    2,291
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

    Arbėreshė Wales Germany Palatinate Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Israel Slovakia

    Surprising J1-M267 result!

    Ok J1-M267 experts I would like to hear from you! I was able to convince a first cousin of my mother on her direct paternal line to take a Y DNA test, and Family Finder. I do not have direct access to the results, but can see they came in as he matches my mother as 1st cousin, and my brother, and myself as second cousins. His 37 marker test reveals J1-M267!

    At this point I have no further information. I have asked him to share with me who his closet matches are on the 37 marker test, and what is their terminal SNP.

    I was told as a child that this line is Italian. I grew up, researched the paper trail- found that this line is from an isolated Arbėresh village. Apparently my grandfather's family had known this all along, and a relative in the village had indicated this line was there since the Middle Ages. The DNA shows a haplogroup that is more common in Southern Europe, but really does not show up much among Italians or Albanians. Correct?

    From another post to cite the most common haplogroups found in the Arbėreshe, and Albanians.
    http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...with-Arbereshe
    Gheg Albanians (119):
    E1b-V13: 38%
    J2b-M12: 25%
    R1b-L51 (xP311): 12%
    R1b-M269 (xL51): 4.2%
    I2a (xM26,M223): 3.3%
    R1a-M17: 2.5%
    I1-M253: 3.3%

    Tosk Albanians (104):
    E1b-V13: 29%
    J2b-M12: 12%
    R1b-L51 (xP311): 8%
    R1b-M269 (xL51): 6%
    I2a (xM26,M223): 11.5%
    I2a-M223: 5%
    R1a-M17: 6%
    I1-M253: 3.8%

    Arbereshe Albanians (Southern Italy, 150):
    E1b-V13: 13%
    J2b-M12: 3%
    R1b-L51 (xP311): NONE
    R1b-M269 (xL51): 8%
    I2a (xM26,M223): 10%
    I2a-M223: 10%
    R1a-M17: 10%
    E1b (xV13): 13%
    I1-M253: 5.3%

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tįltos For This Useful Post:

     Afshar (03-02-2017),  Agamemnon (03-01-2017),  Cinnamon orange (03-02-2017),  J1 DYS388=13 (03-01-2017),  Power77 (03-14-2017),  RCO (03-01-2017)

  3. #2
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    4,463
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z18271
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c5
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    U7a5

    Israel Israel Jerusalem United Kingdom England Scotland Isle of Man
    Has he joined the J1 FTDNA Project? If not, he really ought to, the degree of resolution for J1's phylogeny is equivalent to what we've achieved with R1b.
    מכורותיך ומולדותיך מארץ הכנעני אביך האמורי ואמך חתית
    יחזקאל פרק טז ג-


    ᾽Άλλο δέ τοι ἐρέω, σὺ δ᾽ ἐνὶ φρεσὶ βάλλεο σῇσιν:
    κρύβδην, μηδ᾽ ἀναφανδά, φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν
    νῆα κατισχέμεναι: ἐπεὶ οὐκέτι πιστὰ γυναιξίν.


    -Αγαμέμνων; H Οδύσσεια, Ραψωδία λ

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:

     Kopfjäger (03-01-2017),  Power77 (03-14-2017),  Tįltos (03-01-2017)

  5. #3
    Administrator
    Posts
    2,291
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

    Arbėreshė Wales Germany Palatinate Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Israel Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    Has he joined the J1 FTDNA Project? If not, he really ought to, the degree of resolution for J1's phylogeny is equivalent to what we've achieved with R1b.
    I recommended that he join. I haven't even heard back from him yet. It's killing me lol!

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tįltos For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (03-01-2017),  Power77 (03-14-2017),  R.Rocca (03-01-2017)

  7. #4
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    4,463
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z18271
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c5
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    U7a5

    Israel Israel Jerusalem United Kingdom England Scotland Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Tįltos View Post
    I have recommended that he join. I haven't even heard back from him yet. It's killing me lol!
    I could get a clear idea of which J1 branch he belongs to by looking at his STR values as well. Still, I'd say this certainly suggests that the Arbėresh have at least some local (South?) Italian ancestry, since J1 happens to be almost non-existent among Albanians (it's already quite rare in Europe, outside some isolated pockets).

    Oh and BTW, welcome to the tribe
    מכורותיך ומולדותיך מארץ הכנעני אביך האמורי ואמך חתית
    יחזקאל פרק טז ג-


    ᾽Άλλο δέ τοι ἐρέω, σὺ δ᾽ ἐνὶ φρεσὶ βάλλεο σῇσιν:
    κρύβδην, μηδ᾽ ἀναφανδά, φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν
    νῆα κατισχέμεναι: ἐπεὶ οὐκέτι πιστὰ γυναιξίν.


    -Αγαμέμνων; H Οδύσσεια, Ραψωδία λ

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:

     Power77 (03-14-2017),  R.Rocca (03-01-2017),  Tįltos (03-01-2017)

  9. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,208
    Sex
    Location
    Brazil
    Ethnicity
    Rio de Janeiro Colonial
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1a1 FGC6064+ M365+
    mtDNA (M)
    H1ao1

    Suebi Kingdom Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ Brazilian Empire Brazil
    We have some European J1 clusters well established around Greece, Italy-Sardinia and only the STR or SNPs will tell more about the possible origins.
    J1 FGC5987 to FGC6175 (188 new SNPs)
    MDKAs before Colonial Brazil
    Y-DNA - Milhazes, Barcelos, Minho, Portugal.
    mtDNA - Ilha Terceira, Azores, Portugal
    North_Swedish + PT + PT + PT @ 3.96 EUtest 4

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RCO For This Useful Post:

     Power77 (03-14-2017),  R.Rocca (03-01-2017),  Tįltos (03-01-2017)

  11. #6
    Banned
    Posts
    311
    Sex

    Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tįltos View Post
    Ok J1-M267 experts I would like to hear from you! I was able to convince a first cousin of my mother on her direct paternal line to take a Y DNA test, and Family Finder. I do not have direct access to the results, but can see they came in as he matches my mother as 1st cousin, and my brother, and myself as second cousins. His 37 marker test reveals J1-M267!

    At this point I have no further information. I have asked him to share with me who his closet matches are on the 37 marker test, and what is their terminal SNP.

    I was told as a child that this line is Italian. I grew up, researched the paper trail- found that this line is from an isolated Arbėresh village. Apparently my grandfather's family had known this all along, and a relative in the village had indicated this line was there since the Middle Ages. The DNA shows a haplogroup that is more common in Southern Europe, but really does not show up much among Italians or Albanians. Correct?

    From another post to cite the most common haplogroups found in the Arbėreshe, and Albanians.
    http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...with-Arbereshe
    I don't know anything about J1-M267 being it's not my haplogroup. All what I can say is that a part of Arbereshe didnt't arrive to Italy directly from Albania but they were Arvanites from Greece, and a good number of them were likely of partial Greek ancestry.

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Larth For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (03-01-2017),  Cinnamon orange (03-02-2017),  palamede (03-02-2017),  Power77 (03-14-2017),  Tįltos (03-01-2017)

  13. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    448
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Nationality
    Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-S185
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b

    Italy Italy Sicily Byzantine Empire
    Many Arbereshe came from Corone and other Southern Greeks communities.

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Morges For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (03-01-2017),  Cinnamon orange (03-02-2017),  Larth (03-14-2017),  Power77 (03-14-2017),  Tįltos (03-01-2017)

  15. #8
    Administrator
    Posts
    2,291
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

    Arbėreshė Wales Germany Palatinate Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Israel Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by RCO View Post
    We have some European J1 clusters well established around Greece, Italy-Sardinia and only the STR or SNPs will tell more about the possible origins.
    Good to know thank you! I'm still waiting to hear from him. Hopefully soon!

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tįltos For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (03-01-2017),  Power77 (03-14-2017)

  17. #9
    Administrator
    Posts
    2,291
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

    Arbėreshė Wales Germany Palatinate Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Israel Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by Morges View Post
    Many Arbereshe came from Corone and other Southern Greeks communities.
    Page 6 about the original villages given to Reres' soldiers. My line comes from one of those villages.
    http://www.vatrarberesh.it/bibliotec...loalbanian.pdf

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tįltos For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (03-01-2017),  Power77 (03-14-2017)

  19. #10
    Banned
    Posts
    226
    Sex
    Nationality
    Shqiptar
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-CTS9219

    We actually just got a J1 result on our project, not public yet though and I have seen few other J1 Albanians at 23andme and some on the scientific studies. It's quite rare but found among Albanians, North and South.

    Could you post his STAR markers, or pm them to me so I can compare them to our examples?
    Last edited by Skerdilaidas; 03-02-2017 at 04:45 AM.

  20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skerdilaidas For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (03-01-2017),  Cinnamon orange (03-02-2017),  olive picker (03-01-2017),  Power77 (03-14-2017),  Tįltos (03-01-2017)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. J-M267 palestinian
    By bashqain in forum J
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2020, 05:10 AM
  2. Surprising east african DNA .
    By dinoprada in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2018, 02:56 PM
  3. myheritage -surprising result
    By whocares in forum MyHeritage
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-01-2017, 07:35 PM
  4. Distribution map of Y-DNA J-M267
    By Passa in forum J1-M267
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2017, 09:43 PM
  5. Surprising Discoveries From the Indus Civilization
    By Jean M in forum Archaeology (Prehistory)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-23-2013, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •