Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Netherlands Mauritius Madagascar India China Qing Dynasty

East African vs West African

Which company do you think is best for East African DNA? So far I've tested myself with 23andme, Ancestry, FTDNA and uploaded to gedmatch, DNA.land, DNA tribes and Wegene. Tested mum with Ancestry and FTDNA plus uploaded to the above sites, also had Doug McDonald look at mum's DNA. As far as we know our Mauritian African came from Malagasy and Mozambique slaves yet the overwhelming majority of our DNA has been picked up as West African. We do get some South Eastern Bantu. Just curious at the low amount of East Africa. My mum does get about 6% East Africa on DNA.land. The only analysis of our African that looks close is DNA tribes IMG_0271.jpg
    Ethnogene: 51.4% NW European, 21.6% W European, 10.1% Southeastern African, 9.5% Southeast Asian, 4.4% South Asian, 2% Scandinavian, 1% East African
    Papertrail @ 2xggrandparents: 37.5% London, 25% Dorset, 25% Mauritius, 6.25% Netherlands, 6.25% Hampshire

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFWinstone For This Useful Post:

Akra20m (03-07-2017),  Deftextra (03-06-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Dutch
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    Y-DNA (M)
    G2a

Somalia Netherlands
    23andMe is pretty decent for East-africans, since it also covers the Horn. But south-east-africans typically score a fair amount of west-african compents, because of the bantu migration. But this varies from region to region I guess.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Deftextra For This Useful Post:

JFWinstone (03-06-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

I might get some more of my mum's family tested on 23andme then.
    Ethnogene: 51.4% NW European, 21.6% W European, 10.1% Southeastern African, 9.5% Southeast Asian, 4.4% South Asian, 2% Scandinavian, 1% East African
    Papertrail @ 2xggrandparents: 37.5% London, 25% Dorset, 25% Mauritius, 6.25% Netherlands, 6.25% Hampshire

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Central/E. Sudanic
    Y-DNA (P)
    A-M13 (A-Y95250*)
    mtDNA (M)
    L3x2b
    Y-DNA (M)
    B2a1
    mtDNA (P)
    L2e*

Canada Uganda
    Quote Originally Posted by JFWinstone View Post
    Which company do you think is best for East African DNA? So far I've tested myself with 23andme, Ancestry, FTDNA and uploaded to gedmatch, DNA.land, DNA tribes and Wegene. Tested mum with Ancestry and FTDNA plus uploaded to the above sites, also had Doug McDonald look at mum's DNA. As far as we know our Mauritian African came from Malagasy and Mozambique slaves yet the overwhelming majority of our DNA has been picked up as West African. We do get some South Eastern Bantu. Just curious at the low amount of East Africa. My mum does get about 6% East Africa on DNA.land. The only analysis of our African that looks close is DNA tribes IMG_0271.jpg
    If you're looking for the best breakdown of your modern East-African ancestry with a major company, you're clearly right, DNA Tribes offers the most diversified clusters -- their African Great Lakes, and Nilotic clusters aren't currently represented as individual affinities with the big 3 companies.

The price seems a bit hefty for me, especially when converting into CAD$ but I guess it's worth it -- I think I'll give it a go before year's end. I'm very curious to see the breakdown.
    Last edited by Angoliga; 03-07-2017 at 02:32 AM. Reason: *modern
    .... .. I have spoken."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angoliga For This Useful Post:

Deftextra (03-07-2017),  JFWinstone (03-07-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

23andme is Ģ149 which is quite a lot, might get my mother's brother tested there so can get his Y haplogroup as that'll tell me more than getting mum re-tested as it was their father that was Mauritian.