Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 67

Thread: Indo-Aryan Linguistic Tree

  1. #11
    Banned
    Posts
    24
    Sex
    Location
    California
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    American

    Pakistan Sikh Empire India Punjab Afghanistan India
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulin View Post
    Lol, that's good, though regular Chittagonian speakers would speak much faster. Also, it might have to do with the fact that you're from the eastern areas (Comilla), and most Indo-Aryan languages are sort of a dialect continuum anyway from Sindh to Assam, and from Kashmir to Maldives.
    Dardic ones are the outliers of course.

  2. #12
    Moderator
    Posts
    1,314
    Sex
    Location
    CANZUK
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z2432
    mtDNA (M)
    A11-a*
    Y-DNA (M)
    H-Z12547*
    mtDNA (P)
    M30g

    Canada Bangladesh Jammu and Kashmir India Pakistan Sri Lanka
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart View Post
    Dardic ones are the outliers of course.
    Well, technically they aren't, but they don't descend from Classical Sanskrit unlike other Indo-Aryan languages, and have preserved some archaic features, but lost some as well. Also, they have considerable Iranian influence IMO in phonology.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kulin For This Useful Post:

     Squall Leonhart (03-26-2017),  Zayd (03-26-2017)

  4. #13
    Banned
    Posts
    24
    Sex
    Location
    California
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    American

    Pakistan Sikh Empire India Punjab Afghanistan India
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulin View Post
    Well, technically they aren't, but they don't descend from Classical Sanskrit unlike other Indo-Aryan languages, and have preserved some archaic features, but lost some as well. Also, they have considerable Iranian influence IMO in phonology.
    From recent times or due to ancient connection?

  5. #14
    Moderator
    Posts
    1,314
    Sex
    Location
    CANZUK
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z2432
    mtDNA (M)
    A11-a*
    Y-DNA (M)
    H-Z12547*
    mtDNA (P)
    M30g

    Canada Bangladesh Jammu and Kashmir India Pakistan Sri Lanka
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart View Post
    From recent times or due to ancient connection?
    I'm not sure, but probably because they border Pashtuns.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kulin For This Useful Post:

     Squall Leonhart (03-26-2017)

  7. #15
    Banned
    Posts
    24
    Sex
    Location
    California
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    American

    Pakistan Sikh Empire India Punjab Afghanistan India
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulin View Post
    I'm not sure, but probably because they border Pashtuns.
    I know Nuristani has taken Pashto influences. Not a Dardic language but close by so yes I guess so from Pashtuns. There are also very obscure Iranic languages nearby as well.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Squall Leonhart For This Useful Post:

     Kulin (03-26-2017),  Zayd (03-26-2017)

  9. #16
    Registered Users
    Posts
    79
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Bangladeshi
    Y-DNA (P)
    H

    Bangladesh Italy Italy Veneto Republic of Venice
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulin View Post
    Lol, that's good, though regular Chittagonian speakers would speak much faster. Also, it might have to do with the fact that you're from the eastern areas (Comilla), and most Indo-Aryan languages are sort of a dialect continuum anyway from Sindh to Assam, and from Kashmir to Maldives.
    My bengali dialect is similar to southern dhakaiyas than to typical comillan bengali hahaha maybe because it is in NW part of Comilla.
    I agree i cant understand if a chatgaya person speaks faster

    I never thought that Chakma language was Indo-Aryan until today.Its cool though.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zayd For This Useful Post:

     Kulin (03-26-2017),  Squall Leonhart (03-26-2017)

  11. #17
    Banned
    Posts
    24
    Sex
    Location
    California
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi
    Nationality
    American

    Pakistan Sikh Empire India Punjab Afghanistan India
    Quote Originally Posted by Zayd View Post
    My bengali dialect is similar to southern dhakaiyas than to typical comillan bengali hahaha maybe because it is in NW part of Comilla.
    I agree i cant understand if a chatgaya person speaks faster

    I never thought that Chakma language was Indo-Aryan until today.Its cool though.
    Similar to Assam people?

  12. #18
    Moderator
    Posts
    1,314
    Sex
    Location
    CANZUK
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z2432
    mtDNA (M)
    A11-a*
    Y-DNA (M)
    H-Z12547*
    mtDNA (P)
    M30g

    Canada Bangladesh Jammu and Kashmir India Pakistan Sri Lanka
    Quote Originally Posted by Zayd View Post
    My bengali dialect is similar to southern dhakaiyas than to typical comillan bengali hahaha maybe because it is in NW part of Comilla.
    I agree i cant understand if a chatgaya person speaks faster

    I never thought that Chakma language was Indo-Aryan until today.Its cool though.

    Yeah, the Chakmas were originally Tibeto-Burman speaking but underwent a language shift in the 17th/18th centuries. I can understand a lot of their language as well lol.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kulin For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (09-09-2019),  Squall Leonhart (03-26-2017),  Zayd (03-26-2017)

  14. #19
    Registered Users
    Posts
    79
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Bangladeshi
    Y-DNA (P)
    H

    Bangladesh Italy Italy Veneto Republic of Venice
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart View Post
    Similar to Assam people?
    I think Assamese language sounds different but their dance style looks similar to assamese imo
    Assamese song:

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zayd For This Useful Post:

     Kulin (03-26-2017)

  16. #20
    Global Moderator
    Posts
    856
    Sex
    Location
    UK
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657
    mtDNA (M)
    M4b1

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulin View Post
    It's mutually unintelligible with Bengali, but is considered as a dialect of Bengali because we identify as Bengali. Though, historically, Bengalis have been referred to as "Bongal", while locals were Chatgaiya/Chittainga etc in the region.

    I speak Chatgaiya (Chittagonian) btw since I'm 1/2 Chittagonian, and most Bengali speakers wouldn't understand any of it lol. The Rohingya language is a Southern dialect of Chittagonian, and I can understand it perfectly. This is how Rohingya sounds.

    So I understood probably 90pc of that surprisingly. As you say though, regular chatgaya speakers like some family friends, speak much faster and I struggle to understand.

    That newsclip interestingly was heavily persianised. Insani hoq vs manobadhikar etc. Where do they draw a literary standard register from for rohingyas? Whilst spoken sylheti, chatgaya etc are more persianised than shuddho bangla, I still find it odd that they use such terms like 'estemal, hukomat, elan, behtar moqa' in the reporting, almost as its fashioned on urdu news over what is admittedly a sanskritised shuddho bangla.

    I find the diglossia in our dialects in Bangladesh very interesting. I would easily use words like awlad, nek amal, kamyabi etc in slightly religious terms but not in the more day to day speech. Perhaps they're drawing on that for their literary equivalent.

    Chakma I didn't realise was drawn from Bangla! The assamese I understood to some degree, but only by slightly zoning out. There are some pronunciation similarities to sylheti.

  17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reza For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (09-09-2019),  Kulin (03-26-2017),  redifflal (02-04-2018),  Zayd (03-26-2017)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 68
    Last Post: 06-13-2019, 08:31 PM
  2. Replies: 209
    Last Post: 07-09-2018, 03:29 AM
  3. Indo-Aryan Migration - Bmoney version
    By bmoney in forum Southern
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2017, 01:41 AM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-19-2017, 08:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •