Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why do Tigrinyas think that they are semite when they look almost identical to somali

You guys seem very knowledgeable,,, I saw a video of a Somali guy that looks like a Yemeni(the irony) that claims the Tigrinyas and Amharas are not indigenous to Africa because we are from the haplogroup J1. That got me sturred up.

Can somebody who study this elaborate on this please.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    mtDNA (M)
    N1a

Somalia Ethiopia Eritrea Djibouti
    Quote Originally Posted by drobbah View Post
    I don't think the average Somali could blend in with the highlanders but a significant minority of us could go unnoticed for awhile in let say a city like Gondar.Also from my personal experience here in Toronto the Habesha seem to think every "light-skin" horner is a highlander.They get shocked when me or my family members tell them that we are pure Somali because the "image" of the average Somali that pops into their mind is a lanky dark-skin person.
    Only saw this comment now. Sorry, bro. Yes, I've oddly encountered this too. Some Habeshas I've met do have this weird idea that all Somalis are not just "dark" but excessively dark (like the very top-rowers here) so when they see some people like some of my cousins who are a pale sort of caramel; they get confused for some reason when that's actually perfectly normal. Albeit, I stand by Somalis being able to blend simply because even some of our most unique looks do occur among them from time to time in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigna View Post
    You guys seem very knowledgeable,,, I saw a video of a Somali guy that looks like a Yemeni(the irony) that claims the Tigrinyas and Amharas are not indigenous to Africa because we are from the haplogroup J1. That got me sturred up.

Can somebody who study this elaborate on this please.
    Heh, Africa is a continent, not some genetic cluster you must be a part of in order to be from the continent. If your ancestors have lived on it for centuries upon centuries then it's safe to say you're "indigenous" to it. As for the J1 thing... It's not even true because most Habeshas (arguably about 75-80%) are not even J1 carriers:

In my humble opinion, J1 here is probably largely owed to the Proto-Ethiosemitic speaking community but that of course doesn't somehow make groups like Amharas and Tigrinyas "non-native" as this admixture is even found in the neighboring Erythraeic (Cushitic) speaking ethnic groups (albeit at lower levels). They're old and slightly outdated posts in some ways but reading the stuff on my blog should help get you up to speed on some stuff: http://anthromadness.blogspot.com/20...ween-east.html
    Last edited by Awale; 03-26-2018 at 01:58 AM.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Awale For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (03-26-2018),  Asrafael. (08-10-2018),  drobbah (03-26-2018),  Jigna (03-26-2018),  Michalis Moriopoulos (03-29-2018),  radioavdelning (04-24-2018),  Targum (03-26-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1*

Somaliland Ethiopia Arab League Adal Sultanate
    Quote Originally Posted by Awale View Post
    Only saw this comment now. Sorry, bro. Yes, I've oddly encountered this too. Some Habeshas I've met do have this weird idea that all Somalis are not just "dark" but excessively dark (like the very top-rowers here) so when they see some people like some of my cousins who are a pale sort of caramel; they get confused for some reason when that's actually perfectly normal. Albeit, I stand by Somalis being able to blend simply because even some of our most unique looks do occur among them from time to time in my experience.
    That is true lol.I have an Amhara friend that I met in highschool and he could blend in real well with Somalis as he is just as tall as us with a medium mariin complexion and he told me that he gets approached by Somali habaryars (auntie types) all the time lmfao and he always laughs when I ever tell the awkward stories I had with Habeshas assuming I was one of them.
    My Father's K15
    76.5% Somali + 23.5% Ethiopian_Wolayta @ 2.52
    94.6% Somali + 5.4% Ethiopian_Ari_cultivator @ 2.58

Mother's K15

98.2% Somali + 1.8% Lebanese_Druze @ 1.87
    98.1% Somali + 1.9% Tunisian_Jewish @ 1.91
    98.1% Somali + 1.9% Palestinian @ 1.91
    97.8% Somali + 2.2% Egyptian @ 1.92

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (03-26-2018),  Awale (03-27-2018),  Targum (03-27-2018)

I wonder can you explain to me where the studies like the docs you put in your post came from. I am in discussion with some other people also very knowledgeable and they telling me these studies are misleading and inaccurate..

Replying them with (i found this information on a forum) would end the discussion quickly.

BTW the blog is very good.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    mtDNA (M)
    N1a

Somalia Ethiopia Eritrea Djibouti
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigna View Post
    I wonder can you explain to me where the studies like the docs you put in your post came from. I am in discussion with some other people also very knowledgeable and they telling me these studies are misleading and inaccurate..
    The study (actually a thesis) is right there in the link itself as "Plaster et al". If whomever you're talking to actually knows what they're talking about regarding Horn-African genomics, they ought to have been familiar with it when they read "Plaster et al". Now, while the results could do with being of a higher-resolution, I can assure you that they most likely paint a pretty accurate picture of the wider Y-DNA diversity in the Horn region, especially for Habeshas where we have a sample size of about 60-to-400 for three different Habesha ethnic groups (the Gurage, Amharas and Tigrinyas) alongside the latter two groups' Agaw speaking neighbors all of whom show similar frequencies of Y-DNA J (20-25%) pointing to how this is most likely an accurate overall percentage for the lineage among Habeshas. Other datasets I've seen over the years often correlate with these results as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigna
    BTW the blog is very good.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Awale; 03-28-2018 at 08:59 PM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Awale For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (03-28-2018),  Jigna (03-29-2018),  Ryukendo (03-28-2018),  Targum (06-27-2018)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Tigrigna(kebessa)
    Nationality
    Eritrean
    Y-DNA (P)
    E1b1b1b2
    mtDNA (M)
    L3i2

I was chuckling a little at Real Amhara's xenophobic hatred towards Tigrignas….don't let the political climate ---past or current, influence your morality ...Derg is dead , time to move on. Btw , I am a bona fide Tigrigna from Eritrea and am E1b1b1b2 , and 68 % middle eastern. The E is not for Enjera .

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WADIGAJI For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (06-29-2018),  Asrafael. (08-10-2018),  beyoku (07-03-2018),  drobbah (09-30-2018),  radioavdelning (06-27-2018),  Targum (06-27-2018)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234