Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Poland Germany Canada Quebec Netherlands

Ancestry DNA update?

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the update that was mentioned over one year ago?
    http://www.rootsandrecombinantdna.co...-pike.html?m=1

I know Ancestry is working on genetic communities, which look great, but from what we saw here it looked like a big improvement. I hope they haven't abandoned it.

Any news?
    Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

JMcB (03-17-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British Isles, German
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    C-M217 -> C-CTS3385
    mtDNA (M)
    I1a1d

United Kingdom United States of America Germany Northern Ireland
    I remember seeing somewhere they're just doing GC's and are abandoning the ethnicity update.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jpb For This Useful Post:

sktibo (03-16-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L226/R-FGC12302
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1a1

England Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland European Union
    Merging Great Britain with Europe West would not have been an improvement, in my opinion.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AntG For This Useful Post:

JMcB (03-17-2017),  rms2 (03-17-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

I'm tired of these companies being so dodgy with their updates and whatnot, just unprofessional.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cvolt For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (03-17-2017),  firemonkey (03-16-2017),  Nqp15hhu (10-28-2017),  sktibo (03-16-2017)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by AntG View Post
    Merging Great Britain with Europe West would not have been an improvement, in my opinion.
    Well, it would have been an improvement because they were going to create central Europe, basically splitting Germany from France and GB / EU would be a Britain France cluster, which would make sense because the two have a lot of genetic overlap. As it stands EW and GB are practically the same category, they're so close it seems almost random as to which one a person will get.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L226/R-FGC12302
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1a1

England Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    Well, it would have been an improvement because they were going to create central Europe, basically splitting Germany from France and GB / EU would be a Britain France cluster, which would make sense because the two have a lot of genetic overlap. As it stands EW and GB are practically the same category, they're so close it seems almost random as to which one a person will get.
    Splitting Germany from France, yes, but not to merge Britain and France unless Ancestry are not able to identify a distinction correctly (or not want to put in the effort/research?); it is interesting as I have a lot more Europe West than GB at Ancestry. If possible, there should be moves to refine areas more, not the opposite. I think it can be done in many cases, LivingDNA have correctly identified Northern Ireland as my largest region and now Ancestry Genetic Communities have also. I do see however that LivingDNA are struggling distinguishing Germany and S.E. England(?). I'm glad LivingDNA are on the scene as it may encourage other providers to get more samples/do more research to refine further?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AntG For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (03-17-2017),  JMcB (03-17-2017)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Splitting Germany from France, yes, but not to merge Britain and France unless Ancestry are not able to identify a distinction correctly (or not want to put in the effort/research?); it is interesting as I have a lot more Europe West than GB at Ancestry. If possible, there should be moves to refine areas more, not the opposite. I think it can be done in many cases, LivingDNA have correctly identified Northern Ireland as my largest region and now Ancestry Genetic Communities have also. I do see however that LivingDNA are struggling distinguishing Germany and S.E. England(?). I'm glad LivingDNA are on the scene as it may encourage other providers to get more samples/do more research to refine further?
    I've only got 2% Europe West and almost all my Ancestry estimate is GB. My aunt took the Ancestry test too but her results came out almost all EW and a small amount GB. I'm approximately 60% British and my aunt is approximately 80%. IMO Living DNA is great, despite it's current technical difficulties and other issues, as it is moving DNA Testing in the right direction. I've read quite a few posts on the Ancestry forums from people with French ancestry getting Great Britain as their highest percentage. A friend of mine who is mostly French Canadian was very confused when she got over 50% Great Britain. I think it would be a move forward (albeit very small) to merge the two because then at least, they would be being honest and admitting that they can't seem to tell the two apart. Since Europe West is also very often mixed up with GB on ancestry, it would be a good temporary solution on the part of Ancestry to merge them. Not perfect, but I think they'd see a lot less complaints on their forums from people who are born in England wondering why they got Europe West instead of GB. It would be a good quick "fix" errr... bandage, I suppose it wouldn't really be a fix! if they're going to focus on Genetic Communities.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

AnnieD (03-17-2017),  scipi0 (03-20-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly West European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (Father)
    mtDNA (M)
    H1J2A

United States of America United Kingdom England Scotland Germany Belgium
    I think that a merger of GB & France into a Europe West will cause mass riots in the streets! Just look at the beating that 23andMe takes with the French/German "mutt" category. LOL! Genetic ancestry customers by-&-large want more specificity a la POBI - "Living DNA" style. Too many cultural differences as well.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AnnieD For This Useful Post:

AntG (03-17-2017),  JMcB (03-17-2017),  Nqp15hhu (10-28-2017),  rms2 (03-17-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    I just wish these companies wouldn't take so long rolling out their updates. As for separating Europe west and GB, I'm not qualified, knowledge wise, to have much of an opinion.

A question I would ask is does it make sense to separate GB and Ireland ? My paper trail is 50% English and 19% Irish but on Ancestry I get 38% Irish and 15% GB.
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

JMcB (03-17-2017),  jortita (03-17-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

I get better recall from 23andme for my German ancestry, one grandfather all German American from immigrants in the 1850-1880 era. About evenly mixed north German, Hesse Kassel, Hanoverian and Brunswick and south Baden Wurtembug with a tiny bit of Swiss.
    I get only three percent Europe West on Ancestry
    I get 24 percent British but I do have a grandmother of all recent U.K. Ancestry, mostly northern U.K., Durham, Sheffield a little Welsh and Scottish...
    I get 13 percent Scandinavian which is incorrect. They have an issue with overdoing Scandinavian on Ancestry.

The rest is Eastern and southern Europe from my dad's side.

23andme hit the mark better with 14.9 French/German despite the low recall and only 3.1 Scandinavian and 20.5 British and Irish.

I wish Ancestry would update their ethnicity info but it seems they are obsessed with DNA circles and mining people's trees and connections, along with other personal info for a mega bundle to sell.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinnamon orange For This Useful Post:

Solothurn (03-17-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast